GWT: Champions League - MW 5

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tough for Lens. Arsenal were absolutely perfect for 30 minutes and then Lens started to crawl back into the game, should have had a pen on that Raya foul and then hit the post. But they're down by 4 still since they couldn't score in their dominant minutes when Arsenal was scoring at will in theirs.

And 5.... wow, that scoreline is way harsher than it should be.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Feels good to have luck on our side again. Very interesting adjustments to our formation from Bjelica. He played Roussillon as the left-sided CB in our back 3 so that Gosens could push forward almost like a winger, with the backline shifting to a back 4. Tousart continues to be a bum, but otherwise I like this shape.

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
Yes it's also true. Newcastle players were toasted early. Lots of injuries and suspensions so it hurt them.

Tonight was the largest differential between xG and actualy goals in a CL game since Opta measures it (2013). Unreal.

I think they do extremely well relative to the talent of their squad. I would invest in talented players for Howe before changing him. He has earned the right to try to coach a top talented team.

To me, his team is still overachieving.
I don't for a second think we deserved to win that game (thanks, Pope!).

But I also don't think that was a penalty. Unless the defender chops his arms off, how does he avoid making contact with the ball there?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't for a second think we deserved to win that game (thanks, Pope!).

But I also don't think that was a penalty. Unless the defender chops his arms off, how does he avoid making contact with the ball there?
I don't think so either (which I wrote 2 or 3 times already, but some people refuse to see it). And I added that if that one was whistled, the previous one too.
But those get whistled all the time in UEFA competitions was my point.
You can't have guys here saying it's scandalous while not saying a word in the Kimpembe mess (because their team was involved) or even in the first Newcastle game where Bruno should have seen red and one goal had an obvious handball.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think you missed the point. United fans get the reference better. Performances, position doesn't matter.
I watch United all the time and get the reference perfectly. It does matter because it's a damning indictment of Onana. Fred you could laugh off Fred being Fred due to the position. Onana every gaff has major ramifications. So if you're saying your starting keeper is the ultimate Jekyll & Hyde player, then you need a new starting keeper, full-stop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad