GWT: Champions League - MW 5

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Should never be a handball under sane rules, although I'm a little surprised that it wasn't given under UEFA rules since UEFA has generally take the approach that defenders need to play without arms.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He needed to respond after getting some stick from the DFB for turning down a call-up to the U21 team.
I'd hope with both him and Malen finally scoring again in the last two games, they would build some confidence and get back to the level they can be at. Although Malen wasn't exactly good today.

Reactions: cgf

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
75% possession now.

But arm pointing like that should mean pen.
75 possession, 0-1 loss, the Luis Enrique special. Newcastle are still working harder.

I don't disagree about that, but that's the rule.

This is also the type of game where Eddie Howe should remember he's not at Bournemouth anymore. This Newcastle team is too good to be parking the bus this way, PSG are one bounce away from equalizing most of the second half.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The arm is in a natural position. When human beings move around their arms are very rarely directly by their side.

Add onto that, the ball was moving away from the goal so it's not like there's any argument he's trying to make his body bigger to block a chance.

A sane handball rule would never give stuff like that unless you want the rule to simply be that if it touches your arm it's an automatic pen no matter what.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nah, it's really miraculous right now. Nothing to do with Enrique.
Pope has saved two sure goals, an Mbappe shot was deflected by nothing but luck, etc, etc, etc...

The arm is in a natural position. When human beings move around their arms are very rarely directly by their side.

Add onto that, the ball was moving away from the goal so it's not like there's any argument he's trying to make his body bigger to block a chance.

A sane handball rule would never give stuff like that unless you want the rule to simply be that if it touches your arm it's an automatic pen no matter what.
It's called 80% of the time really.
I'm not saying it's scandalous it was not given. But it is called all the time.

How long since Newcastle reached the half pitch line?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Nah, it's really miraculous right now. Nothing to do with Enrique.
Pope has saved two sure goals, an Mbappe shot was deflected by nothing but luck, etc, etc, etc...

It's called 80% of the time really.
I'm not saying it's scandalous it was not given. But it is called all the time.

How long since Newcastle reached the half pitch line?
It's called all of the time in UEFA competitions and most domestic leagues because the UEFA interpretation of the handball rule is stupid.

The PL goes a bit in the other direction, but penalizing random touches of the ball when the player is in a natural human body position and is clearly not trying to block anything is really dumb.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
What a play by Adeyemi, a shame Füllkrug couldn't finish.

Reactions: cgf

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's called all of the time in UEFA competitions and most domestic leagues because the UEFA interpretation of the handball rule is stupid.

The PL goes a bit in the other direction, but penalizing random touches of the ball when the player is in a natural human body position and is clearly not trying to block anything is really dumb.
But it's UEFA.

Now OMG Mbappe ..... How does that not go in?

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona

Ball came off of Miley's thigh, that's never given.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
But it's UEFA.

Now OMG Mbappe ..... How does that not go in?
Right, as I said I was a little surprised it wasn't given (didn't see the thigh touch, which would negate it) given how UEFA usually calls things, I'm saying their current interpretation of the rule is deeply stupid.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Terzic should go full Pep with BVB

Füllkrug - Moukoko
Adeyemi/Malen - Brandt - Bynoe Gittens
Can/Özcan - Sabitzer/Nmecha/Süle
Schlotterbeck - Hummels - Bensebaini/Süle
Köbel​

Last edited:
Reactions: Power Man