Champions League 8-Team Tournament in Lisbon :

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The teams left in the competition should do the right thing and forfeit or abandon the games. At least the leagues will be played in their proper venues and not some neutral base location...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Because the competition was interrupted. Of course pretty much every competition was interrupted too so they should also have asterisks. What really matters thought is context. As you said, everyone will be on similar footing.
Interruption has nothing to do with it.
The rules were changed in the middle of it. Two leg ties were removed and changed to one leg ties, and the remaining French teams are going to be at a very big disadvantage.

I think it’s an interesting format, but the fact that the rules were changed in the middle of the competition doesn’t sit right with me. The resuming leagues are still going by the same format as before. CL completely changed the calculus.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Disadvantage or advantage considering they will be rest(rusted) while everyone else is over burdening themselves. The change rules apply to everyone so they don't favour anyone.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Interruption has nothing to do with it.
The rules were changed in the middle of it. Two leg ties were removed and changed to one leg ties, and the remaining French teams are going to be at a very big disadvantage.

I think it’s an interesting format, but the fact that the rules were changed in the middle of the competition doesn’t sit right with me. The resuming leagues are still going by the same format as before. CL completely changed the calculus.

I didn't know that, but that too. Still the interruption absolutely has something to do with it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I didn't know that, but that too. Still the interruption absolutely has something to do with it.
I don’t think interruption is what would be the justification for an asterisk (is what I am trying to say)

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
PSG players will play their first game in 5 months while all the other leagues will have restarted for 2 months That’s a big handicap in my opinion

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I genuinely don't understand all the asterisk talk. Historically the "asterisk" in eyes of the fans have typically been applied to teams and players that have known to have or been highly suspected of cheating. The home-run record, Tour de France champions, Astros, etc.

If we want to asterisk everything that wasn't done in the ideal way, then we have a lot of asterisks to give out, basically everything that happened in sports before it was integrated.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I genuinely don't understand all the asterisk talk. Historically the "asterisk" in eyes of the fans have typically been applied to teams and players that have known to have or been highly suspected of cheating. The home-run record, Tour de France champions, Astros, etc.

If we want to asterisk everything that wasn't done in the ideal way, then we have a lot of asterisks to give out, basically everything that happened in sports before it was integrated.
Asterisk on City's title for 13/14 because Jordan Henderson was red carded and thus it wasn't the real Liverpool team vs. Chelsea.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Memphis being back for Lyon will give them a boost vs. Juventus I think. I think Guimaraes and Aouar will dominate that midfield as well.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No asterisk.
Yes French teams are at a huge disadvantage but so be it.
If one team hadn't been knocked out we wouldn't hear this.
Liverpool being out has to do with my opinion on this. Two legged home and home ties were removed to single leg neutral ties. That’s a BIG difference. It’s not the same competition anymore.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Liverpool being out has to do with my opinion on this. Two legged home and home ties were removed to single leg neutral ties. That’s a BIG difference. It’s not the same competition anymore.
Is there an advantage to any team?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Is there an advantage to any team?
Not the French ones. PSG was one of the top favorites to win, and now they are in the worst position of any team left.

also to me it’s not so much about advantage, it’s about changing rules midway through the competition. It’s a new format ergo it literally is not the same competition.
And I like the format! It’s just a midway change. Asterisk for the CL here is not close to the top of my passion projects. I hope it goes well. heard a lot of asterisk nonsense for the PL, and what is going on in the CL is certainly more asterisk worthy.
In realty neither are, but again to change the rules midway through the competition is the only thing weighing on me here. This isn’t a pedestal I am going to die on.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad