Confirmed with Link: [CHA/BAK] Andrew Miller for Zach Boychuk

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Weird double-loan situation.

My guess would be because both players' rights are owned by NHL teams, they couldn't be traded outright, nor will they be able to be called up by their new parent squads.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
NHL teams can make trades, the players in the deals are just ineligible for the playoffs.

Bit weird for a double loan situation, though I'm sure we'll get word of the details eventually.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I believe that trades are still allowed after the deadline.
It just that those players are ineligible for the playoffs.

Zero idea how that plays out in a loan situation. Perhaps that's why it's being filed like this.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Interesting... Miller seems to score more at the AHL level.

edit: maybe not, Boychuk had some very good seasons for the Checkers.

Also, I'm pretty sure Boychuk and Eberle and really good friends.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Perhaps this is one of these look see things, each team wants a look at the other player.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Perhaps this is one of these look see things, each team wants a look at the other player.

I'd agree, but what's interesting to me is why wasn't this just a trade? Neither Carolina or Edmonton will be in the playoffs. Why the weird double loan thing?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I remember back in the day, Boychuk-Tavares-Eberle were a great line at the WJC and Boychuk was supposed to end up better than Ebs. Good times.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To me what's odd is I thought Miller was kinda the go to guy in Bakersfield offensively. Him being a UFA probably means he's done with our organization.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
If its a loan does it mean they are eligible for the playoffs???

If not this makes no sense. Also Miller is a much better player.

Miller is a UFA at seasons end and this seems as if Oilers will not retain him. They do this move to look at a guy like Boychuk (I assume Oilers must have been scouting him or something) and see whether he would be worth making a move for in the offseason. If I recall correctly Boychuk is a RFA at seasons end.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I remember back in the day, Boychuk-Tavares-Eberle were a great line at the WJC and Boychuk was supposed to end up better than Ebs. Good times.

You're thinking Cody Hodgson. He was their pivot at ES.

Hmm, maybe check the AHL salaries? If it's a double loan, I imagine the former clubs are footing the bill still. Not sure why else it'd be a loan situation as oppose to a straight across trade. Are both on NHL/AHL deal? Not sure about Boychuk.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Boychuk's a local product too, isn't he? + He's RFA. I wouldn't be surprised to see this deal finalized after the playoffs are over so they can look into re-signing him.

I guess this is Chai looking at Bakerfield's top centre spot long term, and giving Zach a testride for that job.

Outside of Yakimov The Oil don't really have any centres in the system... I believe Khaira, Platzer, and Chase can play centre, but all three are natural wingers, same with Pitlick.

I wonder what this does for Bakersfield.

Klinkhammer-Pitlick-Winquist
Khaira-Boychuk-Ford
Hamilton-Yakimov-Slepyshev
Kessy-McRae-______

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hmm, maybe check the AHL salaries? If it's a double loan, I imagine the former clubs are footing the bill still. Not sure why else it'd be a loan situation as oppose to a straight across trade. Are both on NHL/AHL deal? Not sure about Boychuk.

Both are on NHL/AHL deals and Boychuk's AHL salary is $200k while Miller's is $175k according to General Fanager.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
a current NHL player told me that boychuck was one of the hardest players to play against when we were younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad