Proposal: [CGY/TBL] Brodie + Jankowski for T. Johnson

Flames67

Jun 8, 2018
CGY has too many D, and even though they may regret giving away Brodie, he has a decent contract and would not have to play as high of a role in Tampa. Maybe middle 6 D.

Jankowski looks like he could be a 2nd 3rd line centre on most teams, needs to grow more. Most importantly, he has a small contract that Tampa can use to their benefit. As Tampa is fairly cap squeezed, moving Johnson can make room for their future young guns like Gourde and Sergachev.

CGY get's a 2nd line centre that has equal or more talent than Backlund, they get stronger up the middle which they need.

I would ideally trade these to Flames for a future goalie, but all the ones that CGY would want are UFA in the off season (Bob, Varly) or can't be had (Saros

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Fair proposal but the Lightning are going to need TJ in the playoffs where he really shines.

Also, if I were the Lightning I’d be asking for Bennett and not Jankowski.

Flames67

Jun 8, 2018
The nicely formatted title fooled me for a second :laugh:

I don't think the Flames can afford to give up Brodie right now. I like our top 6 d, but it's really thin after that.

It is thin, but we're sitting on 7 D right now. CGY's only arguable depth of talent is at defence, and if they're going to improve by trade then it will likely come from there. And it's not as though they are sooo thin that they can't afford it. Prout, although not great, is a serviceable as a 7th D man to fill in for injury or if you need the other team to lose a couple teeth. Kylington could get a look too, although he is not ready, he could be a very short term option. CGY also got a guy in a trade with Montreal this off season that seems as though he could do the trick too.

Monahan and Backlund are great. Jankowski and Ryan are decent, but neither are putting up the depth scoring that the team needs. I like Ryan as the 4th centre, he might be getting more than an ideal amount, but he can get the job done. Having three strong centres in Monny, Backs, and Johnson achieves that 3 lines deep mentality that they have been speaking about.

As for Tampa, maybe this makes sense for them, maybe it doesn't. I'm not familiar enough with the team. But they do have cap issues in a not so distant future, and they'll need dancing partners to get out of it.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It is thin, but we're sitting on 7 D right now. CGY's only arguable depth of talent is at defence, and if they're going to improve by trade then it will likely come from there. And it's not as though they are sooo thin that they can't afford it. Prout, although not great, is a serviceable as a 7th D man to fill in for injury or if you need the other team to lose a couple teeth. Kylington could get a look too, although he is not ready, he could be a very short term option. CGY also got a guy in a trade with Montreal this off season that seems as though he could do the trick too.

It's not just about the numbers of bodies though. It's about NHL experience. Like you say, without Brodie if we have an injury Kylington draws in.

That would give us 3 rookie D + Prout with a couple vets in a worst case scenario. That isn't a good place to be in a for a club with playoff aspirations.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Monahan and Backlund are great. Jankowski and Ryan are decent, but neither are putting up the depth scoring that the team needs. I like Ryan as the 4th centre, he might be getting more than an ideal amount, but he can get the job done. Having three strong centres in Monny, Backs, and Johnson achieves that 3 lines deep mentality that they have been speaking about.

As for Tampa, maybe this makes sense for them, maybe it doesn't. I'm not familiar enough with the team. But they do have cap issues in a not so distant future, and they'll need dancing partners to get out of it.

It does make sense for Tampa in a way because they are having a couple of pending UFA’s on D this season, Brodie becoming insurance in case they are unable to re-sign one. However, as I’ve stated above, Tampa really needs Johnson

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Pretty fair deal, surprised to see it offered though. I thought Flames fans were high on both Jankowski and Brodie. We would pass purely for chemistry reasons.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
As other bolts fans said. Pretty fair deal, surprised it was offered by a Calgary fan. Would say no, based on need Johnson more than Brodie this year. If this is offered at the end of year and depending on how we do, it could be a good shakeup. Taking on Brodie right now means we would be sitting Girardi, which isn't bad but it just becomes waste of cap space for the year. What would we add to get Bennett instead of Jankowski?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Johnson's been too good, and our left side is such a logjam we've had to move Sergachev to the right. Doesn't really matter if the value is fair. There's no real point in us doing this.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
As other bolts fans said. Pretty fair deal, surprised it was offered by a Calgary fan. Would say no, based on need Johnson more than Brodie this year. If this is offered at the end of year and depending on how we do, it could be a good shakeup. Taking on Brodie right now means we would be sitting Girardi, which isn't bad but it just becomes waste of cap space for the year. What would we add to get Bennett instead of Jankowski?

How about Palat for Bennett and Kylington?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Well looking at this offer, I can't complain, it's really fair for both sides, but I would pass on this, great effort though, I think Tampa would be after Hamonic? He seems like he'd fit better?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
After this deal, TBL would have a left side of Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Brodie. Wows

Dont get it twisted. Brodie is not what he used to be, hes a decent second pairing guy. Why do you think a Flames fan is wanting to trade him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad