Confirmed Trade: [CGY/SEA] Calle Jarnkrok (50%) for 2022 2nd round pick, 2023 3rd round pick and 2024 7th round pick

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
They want Lindholm to be happy, they main reason for this trade I guess.
They are cousins and call themselves "brothers"
Lindholm is unhappy? Odd.. I didn't know that even though I live in Calgary and follow the Flames religiously. You imply that this trade is necessary for Lindholm's happiness.

Just curious... How do you know that Lindholm is unhappy?

Reactions: Nanuuk

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Malkin is a franchise player, how is at all a relevant point? Nobody is calling Monahan a franchise player because he is good at faceoffs

The point is Faceoffs really don’t matter, ESPECIALLY when you’re justifying using a lesser player because there’s a 3% difference in raw numbers. Malkin loses FO’s more often than he wins them, yet owns the ice. Backlund loses more Faceoffs than he wins, yet owns the Ice. MacKinnon had a 46% FO rate and kills Calgary when he’s on the ice.

Let me break this down for you, because you seem to not understand this premise.
- you don’t need to win a faceoff to control play.
- Faceoffs don’t guarantee shot generation.
- it’s more important to have players that outshoot opponents when they’re on the ice than their ability to win a faceoff.
- a 3% difference in Faceoffs means that 3 additional faceoff wins happen per 100 Faceoffs. There are 55-70 FO’s a game. Divide that by 4 for each centreman for simplicity sakes. 13-17 FO’s per centre a game. The equivalent of an extra 0.4-0.5 Faceoffs won a game, literally an irrelevant number on a per game basis.

Just think of it this way. You’re up a goal, 1 minute left to play an offensive zone draw. Is Backlund, or Monahan coming over the boards? We both know 23 is stapled to the bench.

Reactions: cheechoo

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lindholm is unhappy? Odd.. I didn't know that even though I live in Calgary and follow the Flames religiously. You imply that this trade is necessary for Lindholm's happiness.

Just curious... How do you know that Lindholm is unhappy?

I translates this article and it doesn’t mention Elias being unhappy or Calle being a make-happy piece. Maybe it got lost in translation?

This line was awesome in English: First, though, it's just a matter of getting from the northwestern United States to the cowboy city of Alberta as soon as possible.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I translates this article and it doesn’t mention Elias being unhappy or Calle being a make-happy piece. Maybe it got lost in translation?

This line was awesome in English: First, though, it's just a matter of getting from the northwestern United States to the cowboy city of Alberta as soon as possible.

How I see it is Lindholm is happy in Calgary, but Calle is going to make him even happier.

Ledge And Dairy

The point is Faceoffs really don’t matter, ESPECIALLY when you’re justifying using a lesser player because there’s a 3% difference in raw numbers. Malkin loses FO’s more often than he wins them, yet owns the ice. Backlund loses more Faceoffs than he wins, yet owns the Ice. MacKinnon had a 46% FO rate and kills Calgary when he’s on the ice.

Let me break this down for you, because you seem to not understand this premise.
- it’s more important to have players that outshoot opponents when they’re on the ice than their ability to win a faceoff.
- a 3% difference in Faceoffs means that 3 additional faceoff wins happen per 100 Faceoffs. There are 55-70 FO’s a game. Divide that by 4 for each centreman for simplicity sakes. 13-17 FO’s per centre a game. The equivalent of an extra 0.4-0.5 Faceoffs won a game, literally an irrelevant number on a per game basis.

Just think of it this way. You’re up a goal, 1 minute left to play an offensive zone draw. Is Backlund, or Monahan coming over the boards? We both know 23 is stapled to the bench.
I really dont think you are getting this, faceoffs are important. I am not saying they are the only thing that matters but saying they don't at all is just fundementally wrong. This isn't about superstars or even Backlund for that matter it is about the fact that in the center position. A guy who hasn't played a full time center role in 5 years and is mediocre at faceoffs is not going to replace the guy who has played center and is strong in the dot. Monahan is still going to be playing center somewhere in the lineup for the remainder of the season unless traded (unlikely) or hurt.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
How I see it is Lindholm is happy in Calgary, but Calle is going to make him even happier.
I suppose so but I suspect he was pretty happy before the trade. In fact, now that he's a full time center, has great line mates, great team mates, is having a career year, is playing on a cup contender, I would guess that he's extremely happy.
Making him happy just doesn't seem like a very good reason to make the trade... which is what @Snauen said.... and not only that, he inferred it was the main reason.
It was a ridiculous comment on the reason for the trade. There were many reasons and Lindholm's happiness was probably at the bottom of the list... if it was even on the list to begin with.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
If things were holding pattern this trade into next year (Calgary being a top 5 team) is the equivalent of:

Pick #62 (2022)
Pick #92 (2023)
Pick #220 (2024)

Cost is just worth it from the Flames perspective that needed to improve their top 9 depth badly.
Listening to Treliving I got the sense he thinks of Jarnkrok as a longer term Flame than just a few months, either way late seconds and thirds are mostly meh unless you hit a homerun.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I really dont think you are getting this, faceoffs are important. I am not saying they are the only thing that matters but saying they don't at all is just fundementally wrong. This isn't about superstars or even Backlund for that matter it is about the fact that in the center position. A guy who hasn't played a full time center role in 5 years and is mediocre at faceoffs is not going to replace the guy who has played center and is strong in the dot. Monahan is still going to be playing center somewhere in the lineup for the remainder of the season unless traded (unlikely) or hurt.

Bet Monahan finds himself as the 4th line centre behind Jarnkrok within 5 games?

Ledge And Dairy

Bet Monahan finds himself as the 4th line centre behind Jarnkrok within 5 games?
Maybe, in that case Jarnkrok is replacing Ruzicka's spot directly. Personally I would much rather keep Dube at center and run a deadly shutdown like with Backs centering Coleman and Jarnkrok. Jarnkrok provides less physicality but similar defensive prowess and more offense than Lewis there

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I suppose so but I suspect he was pretty happy before the trade. In fact, now that he's a full time center, has great line mates, great team mates, is having a career year, is playing on a cup contender, I would guess that he's extremely happy.
Making him happy just doesn't seem like a very good reason to make the trade... which is what @Snauen said.... and not only that, he inferred it was the main reason.
It was a ridiculous comment on the reason for the trade. There were many reasons and Lindholm's happiness was probably at the bottom of the list... if it was even on the list to begin with.
Yeah, he is centering possibly the best play making wing on the planet. Can’t be more happy than that.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014

Over the course of a game or a season faceoffs generally even out, even the best in the business only run at like 55%. Faceoff wins at key times are HUGE though. Powerplay/penalty kill especially, late in games with an empty net, etc. To say they aren't is ignorant to the game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Over the course of a game or a season faceoffs generally even out, even the best in the business only run at like 55%. Faceoff wins at key times are HUGE though. Powerplay/penalty kill especially, late in games with an empty net, etc. To say they aren't is ignorant to the game.

Sure. They're important in key parts of the game.
But none of those key parts of the game influence the use of Monahan in this situation. So him being at 53% versus Jarnkrok at 49.5% is negligible at best.

Brad Richardson is running at nearly 60% but is literally the 6/7th Centre on the team; if they were that key he'd play over other guys.

Just because someone can win a faceoff, doesn't mean they're a useful player to a team.

Reactions: cheechoo

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Sure. They're important in key parts of the game.
But none of those key parts of the game influence the use of Monahan in this situation. So him being at 53% versus Jarnkrok at 49.5% is negligible at best.

Brad Richardson is running at nearly 60% but is literally the 6/7th Centre on the team; if they were that key he'd play over other guys.

Just because someone can win a faceoff, doesn't mean they're a useful player to a team.
100% - guys bare down a little harder, have a set plan/play on important draws as well.

On the flip side, and I need help remembering what team/who the player was, but they would literally put this guy out to take the draw, and win or lose he would immediately bolt to the bench after and change. Forget who but it was funny to watch.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
100% - guys bare down a little harder, have a set plan/play on important draws as well.

On the flip side, and I need help remembering what team/who the player was, but they would literally put this guy out to take the draw, and win or lose he would immediately bolt to the bench after and change. Forget who but it was funny to watch.
Yeah face off matters but if you can’t make play after it. Monahan is getting close to that point. Besides, he is only Ok not great at face off

Reactions: deleted user

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Maybe, in that case Jarnkrok is replacing Ruzicka's spot directly. Personally I would much rather keep Dube at center and run a deadly shutdown like with Backs centering Coleman and Jarnkrok. Jarnkrok provides less physicality but similar defensive prowess and more offense than Lewis there

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Whats funny? Monahan's still playing center. Still think he should be in Lewis's spot

Didn't even take 5 games, literally the first practice.
First thing I said in this thread was that the Flames desperately needed a third line centre, which caused you to have this shit storm of Monahan's faceoff prowess. Look, you were wrong, it happens man.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Ledge And Dairy

First thing I said in this thread was that the Flames desperately needed a third line centre, which caused you to have this shit storm of Monahan's faceoff prowess. Look, you were wrong, it happens man.
Wrong about what? They chose to send Ruzicka down instead of waiving Ritchie. Thats the only thing I was wrong about.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Dude has always been a major Monahan apologist.

Reactions: Volica

Bond

May 10, 2012
I don't like Lewis with Backlund but whatever in Sutter I trust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad