Proposal: CGY - MTL

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
This is a silly post. Montreal certainly would trade down in the right circumstance. So would we.
Nope. Montreal is in a position where they have so much depth everywhere that they don’t know what to do with it. We don’t need or want to dilute talent.

The only way Montreal is trading their pick is if miraculously there’s a 22-26 years old star forward who wants out of where he is. A good example would be someone like Brady Tkachuk then yeah, Montreal could move #5+ for a player like that.

There is no imaginable scenario where Montreal trade down for more draft capital or average players. None.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Nope. Montreal is in a position where they have so much depth everywhere that they don’t know what to do with it. We don’t need or want to dilute talent.

The only way Montreal is trading their pick is if miraculously there’s a 22-26 years old star forward who wants out of where he is. A good example would be someone like Brady Tkachuk then yeah, Montreal could move #5+ for a player like that.

There is no imaginable scenario where Montreal trade down for more draft capital or average players. None.
Again, extremely silly post. Why people speak in absolutes with this kind of stuff is beyond me. Is Montreal trading down for a 2024 2nd and 3rd round pick? Probably not. Would they do it for Calgary, Anaheim, San Jose, Arizona, Chicago ect unprotected 2025 1st round pick? Of course they would.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Again, extremely silly post. Why people speak in absolutes with this kind of stuff is beyond me. Is Montreal trading down for a 2024 2nd and 3rd round pick? Probably not. Would they do it for Calgary, Anaheim, San Jose, Arizona, Chicago ect unprotected 2025 1st round pick? Of course they would.
Why would they take that chance? Not only are you wasting one (critical) year of development but you’re also taking the risk of getting a worst pick the year after. This is the most silly thing I’ve read all year

Reactions: viceroy

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020

Motivation can be the main driver for trading a top talent.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Why would they take that chance? Not only are you wasting one (critical) year of development but you’re also taking the risk of getting a worst pick the year after. This is the most silly thing I’ve read all year
Oof. Careful, you might take Bern's crown with takes like this. You clearly don't know or understand this draft or the value of picks. This draft has a clear #1. You're really excited to take Tij at #5. I have him in the 10-12 range. He's the 3rd or 4th best draft eligible guy from the WHL. There isn't a ton of difference between 2 and 12 in this draft. Montreal would be stone cold stupid not to trade down for one of those picks. Since Hughes isn't stone cold stupid I'm 100% sure he would do that.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Oof. Careful, you might take Bern's crown with takes like this. You clearly don't know or understand this draft or the value of picks. This draft has a clear #1. You're really excited to take Tij at #5. I have him in the 10-12 range. He's the 3rd or 4th best draft eligible guy from the WHL. There isn't a ton of difference between 2 and 12 in this draft. Montreal would be stone cold stupid not to trade down for one of those picks. Since Hughes isn't stone cold stupid I'm 100% sure he would do that.
Montreal aren’t trading down for the same reasons Calgary aren’t trading down from the top 10. I know you’re not there yet, but after a couple of seasons in the cave for Calgary you will understand why. You just pick whoever you like most and be done with it.

*I don’t care who they draft. I don’t have a preference. I barely seen any of these kids play. I know they’ll draft the right guy.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Montreal aren’t trading down for the same reasons Calgary aren’t trading down from the top 10. I know you’re not there yet, but after a couple of seasons in the cave for Calgary you will understand why. You just pick whoever you like most and be done with it.

*I don’t care who they draft. I don’t have a preference. I barely seen any of these kids play. I know they’ll draft the right guy.
I understand you're saying you need the high end cornerstone piece. I'm saying you don't understand the draft. You don't automatically get one of those at #5 and not one at #9. The best player in the 2011 draft was a 4th rounder. The best player in the 2010 draft was a late 2nd rounder. There are tons of examples of this. We got the 2nd best player from the 2015 draft at #6.

Getting #9 this year and another top 10 pick the following year is far more valuable than drafting at #5 this year for odds of getting a cornerstone player.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You just picked a scenario where the Habs would definitely not trade down! lol

You are assuming Hughes and his scouts value 2 through 10 the same way that you do.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You just picked a scenario where the Habs would definitely not trade down! lol

You are assuming Hughes and his scouts value 2 through 10 the same way that you do.
I'm assuming they are basically able to do their jobs yes. I think it's a safe assumption.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Pretty sure their list will have more detail and thought with a ranking system rather than a “2 through 10 is interchangeable “ mindless high level assessment.
I mean, this isn't a hard concept: while for a fan lumping together a top-10 or 12 and having reporters tell us that they can be ranked similarly is one thing, but I expect every single team to have their own ranking, including some serious differences between teams, and some very strong opinions.

I mean, that's litterally what they're there for.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I mean, this isn't a hard concept: while for a fan lumping together a top-10 or 12 and having reporters tell us that they can be ranked similarly is one thing, but I expect every single team to have their own ranking, including some serious differences between teams, and some very strong opinions.

I mean, that's litterally what they're there for.
Imagine if your head scout reports back to the GM that 2 through 10 is interchangeable...

He would be fired on the spot.

Reactions: pth2

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Pretty sure their list will have more detail and thought with a ranking system rather than a “2 through 10 is interchangeable “ mindless high level assessment.
Oof. Tough deductive reasoning there. Did you miss the post where I said if a bottom 6-7 team offered a 2025 1st moving down a few spots. You guys clearly have Tij at 5. I think Catton and Yakemchuk from the WHL are slightly better than Tij and Lindstrom comparable. Again, we are talking millimeters of difference, not miles. I really only know the WHL guys, I won't pretend to know the other leagues. There isn't a ton of difference. Catton, Yakemchuk, Lindstrom/Iginla would be my order of the top tier guys.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
On a high note, at least you guys wouldn't be butchering the last name of a Flames legend.
1 misplaced letter is "butchering" a name? I assume you've never made a mistake in your life.

I saw this idea on another fan website and found it intriguing.

To MTL
Pelletier, Poirier, Morin, 2024 2nd

To Calgary
Dach, 2024 1st

Not sure about that poster's rationale and I'm not sure if I agree with it.

What does everyone else say?
f*** off. Nope. No way. Awful. Out to lunch.

Or in other words, no thanks.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I saw this idea on another fan website and found it intriguing.

To MTL
Pelletier, Poirier, Morin, 2024 2nd

To Calgary
Dach, 2024 1st

Not sure about that poster's rationale and I'm not sure if I agree with it.

What does everyone else say?
That package doesn’t even get you close to Dach or our 2024 1st, let alone both

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Oof. Tough deductive reasoning there. Did you miss the post where I said if a bottom 6-7 team offered a 2025 1st moving down a few spots. You guys clearly have Tij at 5. I think Catton and Yakemchuk from the WHL are slightly better than Tij and Lindstrom comparable. Again, we are talking millimeters of difference, not miles. I really only know the WHL guys, I won't pretend to know the other leagues. There isn't a ton of difference. Catton, Yakemchuk, Lindstrom/Iginla would be my order of the top tier guys.
Even then, the only team that would entice me enough to move down (according to your post) is Arizona and even then I suspect they will have a good season next year. The rest are expecting to take a step forward and I don’t care much about a mid first round pick if it means we’re losing our guy.

Montreal turned down 15, 21 and Askarov last year for 5. Don’t think they would take the chance of moving down to 8-9 and see the team they traded with have a PHI sort of year.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Even then, the only team that would entice me enough to move down (according to your post) is Arizona and even then I suspect they will have a good season next year. The rest are expecting to take a step forward and I don’t care much about a mid first round pick if it means we’re losing our guy.

Montreal turned down 15, 21 and Askarov last year for 5. Don’t think they would take the chance of moving down to 8-9 and see the team they traded with have a PHI sort of year.
About as logical as most of your posts.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I understand you're saying you need the high end cornerstone piece. I'm saying you don't understand the draft. You don't automatically get one of those at #5 and not one at #9. The best player in the 2011 draft was a 4th rounder. The best player in the 2010 draft was a late 2nd rounder. There are tons of examples of this. We got the 2nd best player from the 2015 draft at #6.

Getting #9 this year and another top 10 pick the following year is far more valuable than drafting at #5 this year for odds of getting a cornerstone player.
zacha???

:skeptic:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
What would Montreal give us for taking Gallagher?
A pat on the back. Gallagher isn’t a problem for another couple of years and by then he might be unable to continue to play and be on LTIR.

It’s a tomorrow’s problem that don’t need to be solved today.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
What would Montreal give us for taking Gallagher?

Montreal has no reason to expend assets to move a guy who is still useful (despite being overpaid), a great role model for kids, and who is likely to end up on LTIR anyways.

We could try and find the theoretical cost to get a team to take him, but I just don't it happening.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Hughes has stated publicly many times he is open to trading down.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
A pat on the back. Gallagher isn’t a problem for another couple of years and by then he might be unable to continue to play and be on LTIR.

It’s a tomorrow’s problem that don’t need to be solved today.
Gally was a point a game in his last 10 and seems to have made the adjustment to his new role plus has been healthy this year. We may just be able to limp out the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad