Confirmed Trade: [CGY/MTL] Tyler Toffoli traded to Calgary for Emil Heinemann, Tyler Pitlick c. 1st+4th, '23 5th

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
A good pick. A steal of a pick? I think if Habs fans said that about Farrell, Roy, and Kidney who have as good or better numbers than Kerins, we would get ridiculed.

Josh Brook had 75 pts with 16 goals in 59 games as a 19 year old playing D in the CHL. Habs were high on him too until he turned pro.

Results against men are more value in terms of projection and hype. Not saying Kerins don't become a good one but man... we have seen this time and time again
The Flames and Habs are similar in terms of draft results. Not great in the 1st round, but they have success in later rounds. We have guys like Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Kylington, Andersson, Dube, Ruzicka and Wolf all taken later. Other than Dube and Ruzicka all of these guys would return a 1st+. I'd say a guy taken late who puts up the results Kerins has was a good pick.

I think you're mistaking Q numbers being the same as W or O numbers. They aren't the same thing. Just ask Daigle or Esposito.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
People (especially here) have in mind that in a trade there is a winner and a loser, while the main goal is to be a win/win situation for both teams, thats what a trade is about. In this case I think its a good example of a win win trade. Montreal will not be a playoffs contender for the next 3-4 years and Calgary has a great season, playoffs aspiration and wanna go far in the playoffs. CGY gets a proven and regular 25 goal scorer top 6 player and MTL gets a 1st and a good top 9 prospect. Like the for both teams. By the way you will love Toffoli, he is such and underrated player and if it was just me I would have kept him. I wish him good luck

This is getting weirder by the day. We are now talking about 7th prospect, B+ prospect, a good top 9th prospect. As of now he would not be a top 5 prospect on most teams.

What is his ranking now on the Habs’ list? My guess is behind
Ylonen, Guhle, Harris, Mailloux, Norlinder, Habs first 22 pick, Flames first 22 pick. I might even forget 1-2 guys.

Cant call a trade win-win when you dont know who you are getting. Could turn out that way sure.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
The Flames and Habs are similar in terms of draft results. Not great in the 1st round, but they have success in later rounds. We have guys like Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Kylington, Andersson, Dube, Ruzicka and Wolf all taken later. Other than Dube and Ruzicka all of these guys would return a 1st+. I'd say a guy taken late who puts up the results Kerins has was a good pick.

I think you're mistaking Q numbers being the same as W or O numbers. They aren't the same thing. Just ask Daigle or Esposito.
What is your point with last paragraph? Q league scoring doesnt translate in NHL?

« Out of the three major junior hockey leagues, the QMJHL is known most for producing players with immense offensive prowess. With recent alumni like Jonathan Drouin, Jonathan Huberdeau and Hart Trophy finalist Nathan MacKinnon tearing it up in the NHL, there’s no doubt “The Q” knows how to incubate some of the top offensive talents in the world. »

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
What is your point with last paragraph? Q league scoring doesnt translate in NHL?

« Out of the three major junior hockey leagues, the QMJHL is known most for producing players with immense offensive prowess. With recent alumni like Jonathan Drouin, Jonathan Huberdeau and Hart Trophy finalist Nathan MacKinnon tearing it up in the NHL, there’s no doubt “The Q” knows how to incubate some of the top offensive talents in the world. »
I'm talking the NHLE numbers for each league. The Q has a lower points translation rate than the W or O. This is a fact, not an opinion. It has nothing to do with the talent each league produces. It's also silly to put Drouin in a group with MacKinnon and Huberdeau.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This is getting weirder by the day. We are now talking about 7th prospect, B+ prospect, a good top 9th prospect. As of now he would not be a top 5 prospect on most teams.

What is his ranking now on the Habs’ list? My guess is behind
Ylonen, Guhle, Harris, Mailloux, Norlinder, Habs first 22 pick, Flames first 22 pick. I might even forget 1-2 guys.

Cant call a trade win-win when you dont know who you are getting. Could turn out that way sure.

Your ranking looks based on value of asset and potential ceiling alone. I think Heineman rockets up a solid 4-5 spots if you re-rank those assets based on expected timeline to reach the NHL (ie: At least potentially the 2x 2022 picks and young dmen like Mailloux?). Heineman is uncharacteristically less boom/bust than most of the assets most teams will have in their pipeline.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

All I know is hype and CHL production usually does not translate well. I even said that about Suzuki when he was in the OHL. There are always exceptions for sure but it's not the general rule.

But hey, you rather see that kind of numbers than not right so I get that part.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
All I know is hype and CHL production usually does not translate well. I even said that about Suzuki when he was in the OHL. There are always exceptions for sure but it's not the general rule.

But hey, you rather see that kind of numbers than not right so I get that part.
I agree with this. I'm not saying guys like Kerins or Poirier are NHL bound. Most likely neither player makes it. But they've given themselves a chance with their production and improvement. Guys like Boltmann (2019 2nd round pick) never had a chance.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thank you to some Flames fans for having respectful conversations (even in disagreements). I'd like to see more if it in the future.

Good luck in the playoffs. You guys got a team that is rolling and you got the good mix of offense, defense, goaltending and depth. Hopefully you stay away from injuries.

Reactions: Fig

Ledge And Dairy

Hated this trade and still do
The only possible reason I can see to "hate this trade" is if you are still salty about not getting Eichel. And view spending that ~4M extra cap on Toffoli after as a downgrade and a failure. That price to get Toffoli was perfectly fine and I would gladly pay it again. We didn't loose any top prospects and the pick is late.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The only possible reason I can see to "hate this trade" is if you are still salty about not getting Eichel. And view spending that ~4M extra cap on Toffoli after as a downgrade and a failure. That price to get Toffoli was perfectly fine and I would gladly pay it again. We didn't loose any top prospects and the pick is late.
Paying all those assets for a slow and aging winger when we need speed up front was a bad move.

Plus that cap space will be needed for Gaudreau and tkachuk’s raises ahywaysb

Ledge And Dairy

Paying all those assets for a slow and aging winger when we need speed up front was a bad move.

Plus that cap space will be needed for Gaudreau and tkachuk’s raises ahywaysb
Toffoli's skating is wacky but his speed is average. This seems odd to me, so you would rather Calgary didn't address the biggest hole on their team and just did nothing?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Toffoli's skating is wacky but his speed is average. This seems odd to me, so you would rather Calgary didn't address the biggest hole on their team and just did nothing?
Yeah no... the guy has lead boots. Regularly behind the pace at ES.

What need did Tofolli end up addressing? He ended up on the 3rd line in the playoffs at ES and replaced Monahan on the PP. A first round pick for that is steep.

Ledge And Dairy

Yeah no... the guy has lead boots. Regularly behind the pace at ES.

What need did Tofolli end up addressing? He ended up on the 3rd line in the playoffs at ES and replaced Monahan on the PP. A first round pick for that is steep.
He ended up on the 3rd line because we didn't have a legitimate 2nd line. The problem is so far from being Toffoli. The issue is Backlund - Coleman should be a shutdown 3rd line, and Toffoli - Mangiapane - top 6 center should be the 2nd line if we wanted to contend

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He ended up on the 3rd line because we didn't have a legitimate 2nd line. The problem is so far from being Toffoli. The issue is Backlund - Coleman should be a shutdown 3rd line, and Toffoli - Mangiapane - top 6 center should be the 2nd line if we wanted to contend
He ended up on the third line because he had 0 chemistry with Mangiapane and Backlund and wasn't doing jack squat at ES.

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman was a very good second line with strong underlying metrics. Mangiapane-Backlund-Tofolli was mediocre at best.

Reactions: Fatass

Ledge And Dairy

He ended up on the third line because he had 0 chemistry with Mangiapane and Backlund and wasn't doing jack squat at ES.

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman was a very good second line with strong underlying metrics. Mangiapane-Backlund-Tofolli was mediocre at best.
Yes Backlund and Coleman have excellent chemistry, I already said that. But they are way better suited for a 3rd line shutdown role. Toffoli not fitting as well on that specific line is beside the point, because is a world where Calgary is competing Backlund isn't forced to play 2C.

I simply disagree with the idea of blaming Toffoli because Monahan when on LTIR at a horrible time and Jarnkrok isn't good enough.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Haven't watched Calgary much but Flames must be satisfied with this deal? Toffoli 15 goals 37 games in.
Value-wise it’s fine. Toffoli has been solid in the top 6. The trade would look better if the Flames were better as a team, but that’s not on Toffoli. He’s lived up to his end of the deal.

Reactions: BRobMint and HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad