Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Dillon Dube re-signs with the Flames (3 years, $2.3M AAV)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
At the exit interview Sutter told him he had to step up his game. He was in the Sutter doghouse a few times last season. We shall see.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Love this, didn't think we'd get the 3rd year. Really hoping Dube and Valimaki respond positively to the tough love from Suter.

Reactions: Boomstick

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Would have been a funny if Dillon Dube could have played with Tom Poti. Good news for the kid

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I like Dube... great deal!

giphy.gif

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
wow, as an oil fan that's watched him since he was drafted, this is a killer deal. 3 yrs/2.3 and 23 yrs old?
this kid really shines when he plays Edmonton, that alone makes him worth more than 2.3
nice one Brad

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He was an undersized center that was projected to transition to wing in the bigger leagues. I dont see how you expect him to transition back to center now after not playing it since the WHL
He played his whole hockey career as a center. i don't think in 3 years he's forgotten how.
Look how long Lindholm played wing before he got back to center.
Not every center has to be 6'2". Derek Ryan is only 5'11" at 170 lbs. Brayden Point is 5'10" and 183 lbs.
Dube is 5'11" 185 lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

Ledge And Dairy

He played his whole hockey career as a center. i don't think in 3 years he's forgotten how.
Not every center has to be 6'2". Derek Ryan is only 5'11" at 170 lbs. Brayden Point is 5'10" and 183 lbs.
Dube is 5'11" 185 lbs.
Lindholm played 1 season on the wing, he was a center in Carolina. Dube's game style is more designed for the wing anyways. He can take a few face offs here and there sure but he doesn't have the offensive skill to be a top 6 center or the defensive awareness to be a bottom 6 one

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I like this kid. As pointed out above he always seems to show up against the Oil. Good deal for the Flames.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
At the exit interview Sutter told him he had to step up his game. He was in the Sutter doghouse a few times last season. We shall see.

I think Sutter likes to set the bar higher for young guys. I think it will work out. That 2004 team he coached had a ton of young guys making bigger impacts.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Lindholm played 1 season on the wing, he was a center in Carolina. Dube's game style is more designed for the wing anyways. He can take a few face offs here and there sure but he doesn't have the offensive skill to be a top 6 center or the defensive awareness to be a bottom 6 one

Lindholm was primarily a winger in Carolina.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Dube is 5'11" 185 lbs.

Not sure you grasp the complexity of switching from wing to center. It's a much different position and considering he's just starting to carve out a role and identity at the NHL level, it could be detrimental to his development to suddenly flip him to Center. There are examples of players that successfully do it for sure, I just don't think it's what Calgary is looking to do at this point.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Liked him (and Mangiapane - who were a cut above Foo/Gawdin/Phillips/Lomberg) in the AHL a few season ago. Good to see him sign a solid extension

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Not sure you grasp the complexity of switching from wing to center. It's a much different position and considering he's just starting to carve out a role and identity at the NHL level, it could be detrimental to his development to suddenly flip him to Center. There are examples of players that successfully do it for sure, I just don't think it's what Calgary is looking to do at this point.
Its not like Dube has never played center before though. Prior to playing in the Flames organization he always played center.
Anyways, its likely a moot point because as things stand the Flames centers are almost guaranteed to be Linholm, Monahan, Backlund, and Gawdin/Lewis (4th line). Dube won't be bumping Monahan and Backlund off the center position on the 2nd and 3rd line and it would be a waste of talent to put him on the 4th.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He was an undersized center that was projected to transition to wing in the bigger leagues. I dont see how you expect him to transition back to center now after not playing it since the WHL

Dube played center for the Heat in the AHL actually

I'm not sure you grasp how detrimental it's been for Dube to play not only the wing, but his off wing, given his fundamental skillset is ill-suited to the wing.

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
No he was definitely center
Lindholm definitely played much of 2 seasons in Calgary as a winger:

"He's totaled 56 goals and 132 points in 151 games over the last two campaigns while mostly playing right wing on the team's top line with Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau."

I would like to hear from a Canes fan about how often he played wing because I remember him playing both in Carolina. I'm not sure how much I trust Flames fans to know the real answer.

I did find this quote though that makes your claim a bit suspect:

"For the unaware, we have Teravainen, Williams, Stempniak and Lindholm on the right wing."

I do think that there is a possibility that Lindholm has played on the wing more than you remember.

Dube might be great as a center for Calgary, but I do really like his game as a winger.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
This is a good contract for the player and the team. Dube has a ton of upside. Liker others, I'd like to see him play centre and for the same reason I wanted Bennett to play there. Both can utilize their speed better.

Ledge And Dairy

Lindholm definitely played much of 2 seasons in Calgary as a winger:

"He's totaled 56 goals and 132 points in 151 games over the last two campaigns while mostly playing right wing on the team's top line with Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau."

I would like to hear from a Canes fan about how often he played wing because I remember him playing both in Carolina. I'm not sure how much I trust Flames fans to know the real answer.

I did find this quote though that makes your claim a bit suspect:

"For the unaware, we have Teravainen, Williams, Stempniak and Lindholm on the right wing."

I do think that there is a possibility that Lindholm has played on the wing more than you remember.

Dube might be great as a center for Calgary, but I do really like his game as a winger.
Lindholm mY have started on the wing like most rookie forwards do but he its pretty clear by his faceoff count that he was definitely moved to center in his final 3 (of 5) years with the canes. Aho played on the wing prior to Lindholm being traded

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At least Cassie Campbell will be stoked she'll still be able to mention his name a million times each HNIC broadcast and how every team could use a bunch of Dillon Dubes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad