Proposal: CGY - COL

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
What plan? The nonsense spewed by Patagonia is a plan now? He is a right-handed D who prefers playing on his off side, hell even he said so, just as Cole is a left-handed D who prefers the right side. This information is just further proof the "trade Barrie" brigade has no idea what they are talking about. Same way some want to move Mikko to LW because that's his "natural" side.

Woah there...calm down. I don't get to watch UMass so I don't know which side Makar plays on.

This has nothing to do with the trade Barrie brigade as you so aptly called it. I honestly figured Makar was a RD and that's where he was playing.

Calm down. So much hostility over a simple question.

Reactions: Patagonia

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I dont remember Sakic stating this one in any recent interview...

Ideally handedness would be perfect on D, but when Makar is ready, he will play on either side.

Everything I've heard from people connected to the org in ways I am not was that Makar will likely slot in on the 3rd pair on the right side when his season was done. It's all speculation though and I guess we'll see in a handful of months.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Woah there...calm down. I don't get to watch UMass so I don't know which side Makar plays on.

This has nothing to do with the trade Barrie brigade as you so aptly called it. I honestly figured Makar was a RD and that's where he was playing.

Calm down. So much hostility over a simple question.

Sorry, wasn't aimed at you. It's just that this whole narrative is annoying and no matter how many times you repeat this to certain posters they still go ahead and say we should trade Barrie because he is blocking Makar. I posted this probably a dozen times on the Avs board, but they just ignore it because it doesn't fit with their agenda. Currently, he is playing more on the right at UMass, but according to Cale himself, the left side is his natural side and suits him better.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Everything I've heard from people connected to the org in ways I am not was that Makar will likely slot in on the 3rd pair on the right side when his season was done. It's all speculation though and I guess we'll see in a handful of months.
We're hoping he comes up at the end of this year, but lets assume he is lights out good and meshes with Johnson for example. Im sure Johnosn or Makar will go to the left side. Handedness wont make or break the lineup and force someone to be traded out.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Sorry, wasn't aimed at you. It's just that this whole narrative is annoying and no matter how many times you repeat this to certain posters they still go ahead and say we should trade Barrie because he is blocking Makar. I posted this probably a dozen times on the Avs board, but they just ignore it because it doesn't fit with their agenda. Currently, he is playing more on the right at UMass, but according to Cale himself, the left side is his natural side and suits him better.

I'm curious as to where he fits. He's an exciting prospect but it isn't Barrie that is blocking him.

I think the org should trade Barrie, not because of Makar, but because of his next contract. He is also the most expendable piece that would return the most value so I get it. You don't trade him because of the imaginary magic beans that Makar is though.

Reactions: Patagonia

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Even though the “value” favors Colorado, this isn’t a trade Sakic would make. He’s been pleading forever about the importance of having two dependable goalies and right now he has two legit #1’s. Only way he breaks that up is if it helps an area of need (secondary scoring up front). Brodie isn’t a big need for the Avs.

Reactions: Iracundia

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

He's played on the right side.

I'd say no to this deal. The Avs don't need defense, they're pretty set both now and log term. I'm perfectly ok with Sakic keeping two #1 goaltenders throughout the season even if it means letting Varly walk for nothing. UFA goaltenders don't have the highest trade value anyway. It's probably more valuable to the Avs to keep them both to compete for a playoff spot down the stretch.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Even though the “value” favors Colorado, this isn’t a trade Sakic would make. He’s been pleading forever about the importance of having two dependable goalies and right now he has two legit #1’s. Only way he breaks that up is if it helps an area of need (secondary scoring up front). Brodie isn’t a big need for the Avs.

Which is quite the testament to how much our defense, and future of our defense has turned around. A year or two ago we'd all be clamouring for a guy like Brodie.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Value obviously favors the Avs, however, the Avs have absolutely no need for Brodie given their defensive depth at LD (Girard, Zadorov, Makar) and EJ, Barrie and Cole on the RD. Furthermore, I doubt they are in any hurry to help the team they are fighting with for a playoff spot without being a deal that makes them better as well.

Makar is a RHD and is in college and not even on the roster at the moment.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
What plan? The nonsense spewed by Patagonia is a plan now? He is a right-handed D who prefers playing on his off side, hell even he said so, just as Cole is a left-handed D who prefers the right side. This information is just further proof the "trade Barrie" brigade has no idea what they are talking about. Same way some want to move Mikko to LW because that's his "natural" side.

Have you literally lost it?

Where did I mention Makar will play the LD? He is a RHD and likely will be playing that position. I didn't even mention about Barrie - RHD in this thread due to playing a different position. Brodie is a LHD and there is no room for him based on age and contract on the AVs. With Zadorov, Girard and Cole already playing, Nemeth & Barberio is fighting for ice time; only option is prospects for LHD.

I might support the AVs, but agree this is a bad deal for the Flames to give up more. It also doesn't even meet the needs of the AVs. Giving more is not necessarily benefiting anyone. I suggested reducing the proposal by the Flames based on need will actually be more appropriate.

Try to stay on topic besides attacking other posts. :huh:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Have you literally lost it?

Where did I mention Makar will play the LD? He is a RHD and likely will be playing that position. I didn't even mention about Barrie - RHD in this thread due to playing a different position. Brodie is a LHD and there is no room for him based on age and contract on the AVs. With Zadorov, Girard and Cole already playing, Nemeth & Barberio is fighting for ice time; only option is prospects for LHD.

I might support the AVs, but agree this is a bad deal for the Flames to give up more. It also doesn't even meet the needs of the AVs. Giving more is not necessarily benefiting anyone. I suggested reducing the proposal by the Flames based on need will actually be more appropriate.

Try to stay on topic besides attacking other posts. :huh:

Just because you didn't say it specifically in this thread doesn't mean you don't push that bullshit narrative pretty much everywhere else on HF....

Reactions: Ivan13

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Varly is a UFA at the end of the year, Avs don't need any more Dmen, likely wouldn't want to part with the pick all to make their overall goaltending worse.

This deal makes sense for no one.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Just because you didn't say it specifically in this thread doesn't mean you don't push that bull**** narrative pretty much everywhere else on HF....

Try to stay on topic.

I know this is difficult for someone so insecure. Stop being a total idiot when someone doesn't agree with you. Barrie is a separate issue and not relevant to this thread. Try not to hijack someone else's proposal with your childish comments.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Makar is a righ-handed defenseman who prefers playing on his left. He himself has said that.

I believe right handed Makar indicated his willingness on playing LD. The comments were made at the 2017 Draft when the AVs only had Zadorov as a solid player in that position. With EJ and Barrie, along with the same draft Timmins, his path to the NHL would have been more difficult. Girard joining the team via Duchene trade, there is less urgency at LD.

Makar plays RHD in college and likely staying in that position.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Base Deal is
T.J. Brodie & Mike Smith to Colorado.
Semyon Varlamov & 2nd rd pick to Calgary.

From Calgary’s perspective it gives them a solid starting goalie for the next 4ish years and hopefully by then one of the prospects has taken the starters job.

From Colorado’s perspective it gives them another good two-way puck moving d-man that improves there top 4, and smith goes back as backup behind Grubauer for the rest of the year.

Who adds? Who Subtratcs? Or is it equal?

Edit: The deal would have Varlamov guaranteed to not leave as a UFA and sign with Calgary.
Why would Varlamov guarantee to not leave a place he may not want to be traded to in the first place?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad