Proposal: CGY - COL

Nov 24, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Base Deal is
T.J. Brodie & Mike Smith to Colorado.
Semyon Varlamov & 2nd rd pick to Calgary.

From Calgary’s perspective it gives them a solid starting goalie for the next 4ish years and hopefully by then one of the prospects has taken the starters job.

From Colorado’s perspective it gives them another good two-way puck moving d-man that improves there top 4, and smith goes back as backup behind Grubauer for the rest of the year.

Who adds? Who Subtratcs? Or is it equal?

Edit: The deal would have Varlamov guaranteed to not leave as a UFA and sign with Calgary.

Last edited:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Varlamov is in the last year of his deal, not sure I would guarantee 4 years out of him.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I don’t know enough about Brodie to know if it’s a bad deal or not but If you can lock up Varlamov it should help the team for sure

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Can't afford him. There's a reason 36 year old Mike Smith is our #1.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Varly has been lights out and looks like he's fully healthy again, but this solves the Avs impending goaltending dilemma so i'd do it.

I can't imagine Varly signing for $4.5 mil. It'll be anywhere between the $5.5-6.5 mil range.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
If Varlamov is to be traded I think Calgary would be the front runner he would really fit well there. IIRC he’s been linked to Calgary in the past and I remember Landeskog for Brodie rumours as well so there might be legitimate interest from both sides. I think it only happens if Francouz keeps up his steller play, Grubauer takes over as the #1, and the Avs are in a playoff spot for much of the year. If those things happen I think the Avs could easily take on Smith as a backup this year and plan for Francouz as the backup next year.

Pretty good proposal, there was a time when Brodie wouldn’t even be considered in a deal like this but he’s struggled a bit the last couple of years. Not even sure where he would fit in the lineup but just based on value alone the Avs might say yes to this one.

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Brodie is pretty key to the Flames defence right now and Varlamov is a pending UFA.

The Flames will go after Varlamov as a UFA, if that's the plan.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Brutal is right. Flames don't have the defensive depth to trade Brodie. Otherwise you're one injury away from Prout being a regular. Two injuries and it's Kylington playing every game. After that, it's only AHL fodder like Valiev and Healey.

Flames will just sign Varlamov in the free agency. No need to be stupidly impatient about it.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Brodie is pretty key to the Flames defence right now and Varlamov is a pending UFA.

The Flames will go after Varlamov as a UFA, if that's the plan.
I think this is the most likely scenario unless the Avs go full asset management mode and trade Varly to a team that really needs him who then re-signs him before Calgary gets the chance (or re-signs him themselves). Either way Varlamov to Calgary is something I see happening, there’s certain players that you can just see going to certain places and for me this is one of those.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think this is the most likely scenario unless the Avs go full asset management mode and trade Varly to a team that really needs him who then re-signs him before Calgary gets the chance (or re-signs him themselves). Either way Varlamov to Calgary is something I see happening, there’s certain players that you can just see going to certain places and for me this is one of those.
I agree.

I could see a simpler deal closer to the deadline. I just don't see the Flames parting with Brodie in the deal.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I agree this an overpayment by the Flames, but AVs don’t need Brodie. If there is a deal, it’ll be for prospects or picks.

Reactions: milehigh11

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Value obviously favors the Avs, however, the Avs have absolutely no need for Brodie given their defensive depth at LD (Girard, Zadorov, Makar) and EJ, Barrie and Cole on the RD. Furthermore, I doubt they are in any hurry to help the team they are fighting with for a playoff spot without being a deal that makes them better as well.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
This is bad for Calgary.

Just for the sake of keeping with the op's intent, maybe tweak it to a basis (emphasis on basis here)..

Smith
Brodie

For

Varly
Zadorov

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Value obviously favors the Avs, however, the Avs have absolutely no need for Brodie given their defensive depth at LD (Girard, Zadorov, Makar) and EJ, Barrie and Cole on the RD. Furthermore, I doubt they are in any hurry to help the team they are fighting with for a playoff spot without being a deal that makes them better as well.

Is Makar playing LD now? He's a righty and the plan always seemed he'd take over Barrie's spot if he continued to develop like the Avs think he can.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Is Makar playing LD now? He's a righty and the plan always seemed he'd take over Barrie's spot if he continued to develop like the Avs think he can.
What plan? The nonsense spewed by Patagonia is a plan now? He is a right-handed D who prefers playing on his off side, hell even he said so, just as Cole is a left-handed D who prefers the right side. This information is just further proof the "trade Barrie" brigade has no idea what they are talking about. Same way some want to move Mikko to LW because that's his "natural" side.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I dont remember Sakic stating this one in any recent interview...

Ideally handedness would be perfect on D, but when Makar is ready, he will play on either side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad