GDT: CGY @ COL: A Song of Ice & Fire (9:30 ET / 7:30 MT)

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
At a basic level… I’d rather dirty laundry isn’t aired in public. As long as this motivates Mikko though, I hope it keeps happening.
To be honest, maybe Lehkonen's father has heard something which didn't sound professional to him and said it in media. The rumour sounded maybe worse than the reality(which is why rumours afe terrible..). But no shame in admitting you are burned out anyway.. we know MacK, Rantanen were overplayed last season.

Probably last time Artturi's father will have inside info though.. well it was fun while it lasted.

But maybe Mikko needed some criticism. The whole team needs to be honest.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Ismo Lehkonen, Lehky's dad, player professional for 8 years, and then coached professionally for ~20 years, and now a days is one of the most widely used hockey commentators in Finland, does media work for basically every media station in Finland, runs multiple podcasts, it's literally his job. It's nothing personall, it's nothing related to Lehky, it's just hockey professional doing his job.

No matter if the comments were correct or incorrect, Ismo did nothing wrong in this case.

It absolutely matters if his comments were incorrect though. Just because it's your job to commentate on players, doesn't justify saying things that are incorrect, or dressing up speculation as fact, which it sounds like might have been the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ismo also has a history of hot takes, and heavily criticizing players, as well as being a bit of a hardass.

If that's how someone wants to approach their career that's fine, but then you have to accept the comments that come back your way as a result, from players defending themselves.

Which to his credit it sounds like Ismo does according to the translation of his most recent comments. Mikko said his peace. He says him and Lehky are good. Ismo says he hopes him and Mikko are good and he understands Mikko's response. This will be water under the bridge soon for everyone, if it's not already.

"Lehkonen said he had been in contact with Rantanen after last night's game. "I sent a message to Mikko after the game, but I haven't received a response yet. There's a night on."

"What kind of relationship do you and Rantanen have?"

"Let's hope it's good. It is a pity that such a storm has arisen and people have misunderstood what I am saying. Lehkonen also knows how to deal with the buzz with a twinkle in his eye. "This is a good example of when a player needs a boost. Here you can see Mikko's huge competitive instinct and why he is one of the best players in the world. When you poke a bear a little, that's the result, Lehkonen chuckles."

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
A well-known coach, studio analyst, and podcast host currently working for several major media outlets in Finland provided commentary about a Finnish player of high interest, to the national media house, in a manner of speech that is typical for him.

Noteworthy in its own right, but let's not act like there's some behind the scenes drama like O'Reilly's f***face dad.
It's a bit different when he has very close source to the players and the team.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
At a basic level… I’d rather dirty laundry isn’t aired in public. As long as this motivates Mikko though, I hope it keeps happening.
This team has been too private for years. If it takes Finnish media to get something going, so be it.

I would like to know more about the injury situations and others. The team is just mysterious.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Probably Arturri right now :
Daddy_Chill_what_the_hell_is_even_that.gif

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I bet this Mikko venting to the media thing doesn't happen if Landy or another captain is in the room.

It's pretty obvious that this team doesn't have a captain. Also Mikko calling his teammate "a Finnish NHL player" is f***ing lame.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It absolutely matters if his comments were incorrect though. Just because it's your job to commentate on players, doesn't justify saying things that are incorrect, or dressing up speculation as fact, which it sounds like might have been the case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ismo also has a history of hot takes, and heavily criticizing players, as well as being a bit of a hardass.

If that's how someone wants to approach their career that's fine, but then you have to accept the comments that come back your way as a result, from players defending themselves.

Which to his credit it sounds like Ismo does according to the translation of his most recent comments. Mikko said his peace. He says him and Lehky are good. Ismo says he hopes him and Mikko are good and he understands Mikko's response. This will be water under the bridge soon for everyone, if it's not already.

"Lehkonen said he had been in contact with Rantanen after last night's game. "I sent a message to Mikko after the game, but I haven't received a response yet. There's a night on."

"What kind of relationship do you and Rantanen have?"

"Let's hope it's good. It is a pity that such a storm has arisen and people have misunderstood what I am saying. Lehkonen also knows how to deal with the buzz with a twinkle in his eye. "This is a good example of when a player needs a boost. Here you can see Mikko's huge competitive instinct and why he is one of the best players in the world. When you poke a bear a little, that's the result, Lehkonen chuckles."
Ismo does a lot hot take speculation, yes. He criticizes players and teams very openly and harshly, and vents about certain other viewpoints on hockey to no end (dealing with the national league and federation etc.). He is open to criticism and seems to communicate with players, but to me there's an element of who-gives-a-f*** speculation lost in translation.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Just because Ismo is a Finnish commentator does not mean he should be speculating/spreading false information about Mikko. It makes it worse that it was a teammates father.

Rants has every right to respond the way he did and I doubt Lehky will have a problem with that.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Rants has every right to respond the way he did and I doubt Lehky will have a problem with that.
Absolutely he does, and no, I don't think he will. And I don't think Mikko and Ismo will have an issue with it either. They've known eachother for a long time. I personally wonder if Mikko is doing that "serious response" tongue in cheek, kinda like Kimi Räikkönen did a lot of interviews back in the day. If not and he actually was pissed, it's nothing a bit of messaging won't resolve. I wouldn't be surprised if Mikko actually walked back some of his tone today after seeing what kind of buzz this has become.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Just because Ismo is a Finnish commentator does not mean he should be speculating/spreading false information about Mikko. It makes it worse that it was a teammates father.

I mean how do you know what Ismo said is false? Not saying it is, or it isn't, but 96 sure isn't helping his case with his play as of late.

Ismo needs to shut the f*** up, not really this place to make a comment. But so does 96. When you play like dog shit for a month and have 1 ok game doesn't really give you the right to start running your mouth.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
I bet this Mikko venting to the media thing doesn't happen if Landy or another captain is in the room.

It's pretty obvious that this team doesn't have a captain. Also Mikko calling his teammate "a Finnish NHL player" is f***ing lame.
Are you serious? Of course this happens if there is a captain in the room. Do you think Gabe is hiding behind a curtain waiting for Rants to say something just to jump out and say NO! STOP! YOU CANT SAY THAT!

Also, I think Mikko was just trying to circumvent actually saying "Lehkonen". Heat of the moment thing, it's obvious who he referring to, but I think that was his intention.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

I think thats how it was written in the article, daddy of Finnish NHL player, so made sure you know what he is referring to

In a journalistic sense, but I don't see why this would matter.
I mean obviously he knows a lot about the team and even things he can't say in public. That's what I meant. He needs to be careful what he says because something like this could happen.. hah

He doesn't have normal journalistic connection. It's bit deeper than that.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Ismo does a lot hot take speculation, yes. He criticizes players and teams very openly and harshly, and vents about certain other viewpoints on hockey to no end (dealing with the national league and federation etc.). He is open to criticism and seems to communicate with players, but to me there's an element of who-gives-a-f*** speculation lost in translation.
True. He's been known for his hot takes and sometimes they get him in trouble. I personally like his approach. Sometimes a bit too much obviously, but usually pretty spot on.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good for Mikko. He has every right to respond the way he did. He had to let everyone, especially those in Finland, know he ain't no punk. Screw taking the high road and handling it privately.

I only read Baugh's piece so maybe there was more but the initial comments didn't even seem that bad haha.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
This is such a nothingburger
I'd say you are wrong. If Mikko has to say about it in media, it hurt for real. Finnish don't openly talk about their private things.

I mean how do you know what Ismo said is false? Not saying it is, or it isn't, but 96 sure isn't helping his case with his play as of late.

Ismo needs to shut the f*** up, not really this place to make a comment. But so does 96. When you play like dog shit for a month and have 1 ok game doesn't really give you the right to start running your mouth.
Exactly. Rantanen needs to keep showing his level.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
People are making it out to be a bigger story than it is. Lehkonen (Ismo) fired some shots at Rantanen, and he gave some back. Back to work.

Interesting goalie situation we have developing here. And not in a good way.

Yeah. The goalie situation might be more pervasive than the Mikko-Iso spat. The goalie situation is being overshadowed. It should be getting more attention.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I only read Baugh's piece so maybe there was more but the initial comments didn't even seem that bad haha.
The thing here is, while we have a tendency to call Mikko lazy because of his style of play, and while he never does optional skates, I bet that questioning his effort in summer training hit a nerve because he has been known to work out like crazy during the summers. Didn't he at least used to always be in the best shape when the physicals were done before training camp? At least that's what was said a few years ago, he has been the best since his rookie season. And I think, in his mind, Rantanen thinks that Ismo should know that as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad