Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Chris Tanev signs with the Flames (4 years, $4.5M AAV)

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
You mean who is going to baby sit Tanev? Hughes is a future Norris Trophy winner that could carry Luke Schenn if he needed to.
Hyperbole much!?? Hughes is really good, but there’s only like 5 active NHL defensemen that can carry an absolute plug on their pair and win the Norris and none of them are Hughes...yet.

For the record, I am an Avs fan and don’t think that Makar is, currently, there either.

Reactions: wetcoast

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
So your saying...
1st Pair LD Giordano RD Andersson
2nd Pair LD Hanifin RD Tanev

That's how I think it shakes out. It was already clear last year that the Flames want Andersson to start taking over Brodie's role. Tanev is an upgrade on Hamonic

Reactions: Nanuuk

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Oilers fan here. FWIW I think this is pretty good for the Flames. I like Tanev more than I like Brodie so I think they upgraded. Term and cap hit are pretty reasonable. Yes, some injury risk given his history. We’ll see how it plays out.

Reactions: Mitts

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
I don't mind this deal. If it was 1 year shorter, I'd love it!

Losing Brodie sucks, but it was a foregone conclusion after he was included in a trade that got quashed. Brodie seemed to take it to heart and I'm actually surprised he was open to returning. Gut feeling tells me that he left money on the table to sign with his hometown Leafs.

Tanev is great. The last 3 years, I'd have taken Tanev over Brodie. Tanev is basically what Calgary wanted out of Hamonic (and didn't have to give up high picks this time). However, I do think Brodie will outperform Tanev over the course of this next contract. Brodie has low lows, but also high highs.

Tanev should be paired with Gio as the top shut down pairing. Gio can provide offense on that pairing. Flames need to let Hanifin - Andersson develop together. They showed really good chemistry and Hanifin was much better after being away from Hamonic. It'll be a 1A-1B pairing.

Gio - Tanev
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Kylington (or Stetcher..hahaha)

This looks quite solid after losing 5 dmen to UFA (Brodie, Hamonic, Gustafsson, Forbert, Stone).

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Maybe $0.5m too high, but a good add for Vancouver...errr Calgary XD XD

the money is fine, Tanev is probably worth 5 million per season, maybe a year too long in term. This isn’t a bad contract but does carry a bit of risk with his injury history which is why the cap hit is lower than it should be. If Tanev stays healthy this is a great deal. I’d rather have Tanev come playoffs than Brodie, Tanev is a beast in the playoffs and puts it all on the line, really like Tanev.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Hughes cant carry anyone in his D zone.

Hughes number increase without Tanev While Tanev’s Plummet without Hughes. There’s a reason this is the first season in his career where he wasn’t injured. Try harder

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That's how I think it shakes out. It was already clear last year that the Flames want Andersson to start taking over Brodie's role. Tanev is an upgrade on Hamonic

Tanev makes the flames better and the Canucks worse.

I could see the Canucks have a dropoff year next year without Tanev and Marky.

Those are 2 big holes to fill.

Well...4.5 million a year for 43 games a year. Those 43 games will be good though.

Hell he played in every Canuck game last year, something which I would have bet my house in him not doing...thankfully I'm not a betting man...lol

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
This f***ing blows as a Canucks fan. 4 years wouldn't be my ideal term length for Tanev but it would still be OK. The money though is easily affordable, it's basically the same as his previous AAV.

Unbelievable that if the Canucks offered 4Mx2Y that they could not work out a deal for 3 years at ~$4.3M or something.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
As a fan of neither the Flames or Canucks , I’d say this is a fair- good contract .Good d man and I think an upgrade on Brodie considering both players overall game . Sucks for the Canucks to lose him but what else could they have done ? They are handcuffed for now by some bad contracts . They will need to lose some assets or trade someone they normally wouldn’t want to in order to gain some flexibility with their cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad