Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Chris Tanev signs with the Flames (4 years, $4.5M AAV)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I am not happy with this move, Treliving not learning from past mistakes Neal and Brouwer.

Why not just sign Brodie who is twice the player Tanev is?
Andersson will likely replace Brodie in the Gio pairing.
Tanev will replace Hamonic in the Hanifin pairing.
Tanev>>>>Hamonic

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Brodie is better on the Flames than Tanev. Don't disagree. But silver lining is that Tanev is better than Brodie to ensure we don't over use Gio and to train Anderson and Hanifin to take over the top pairing, be cause we have to shelter him and gio.
I agree that the Flames will definitely benefit from Tanev’s ability to play hard minutes, that’s why they wanted Hamonic and he failed to live up to it, but Tanev is proven in that role.

He makes life easier for the other dmen on the roster.

Reactions: Fig

member 328930

Love Tanev but this is too risky of a contract. Guys game has dropped off from his premier shut down days.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Edmonton should have murdered somebody to get Tanev for this contract. This is exactly who they needed as a player.

They have two guys who seem to have chronic injuries. They can’t risk a third guy who’s made of glass.

SurferBroChad

Dec 17, 2018
Victoria BC
Vancouver needs to sign barrie to complete the trifecta.
Lol man you know they are trying. I got a feeling if they didnt want to pay Tanev what CGY gave him they wont pay Barrie what he wants but who knows.

This is a good signing for cgy. Only issue with tanev is obviously his injurys. Last season was the first season he didnt get injured and it was shortened. good luck to him

SurferBroChad

Dec 17, 2018
Victoria BC
Congrats flames fans, you got yourselves a horse. As long as he stays fairly healthy this will be a good deal.
i know this might make me look bitter but tanev was injury prone even when he was young. I really dont know how he can keep playing the style he does and make it to the end of that contract with even 1 complete season in the books.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Please no. Why the f didn't we just sign Brodie. Unless Tanev is cheaper and this let's us grab Hall.
4 x 4.5.

why not keep Brodie ?
... why didn’t they just re-sign Brodie, who is both better and less injury prone?
Brodie wanted and got a NMC, Calgary wouldn't risk exposing it's young guys for him, Tanev only has a limited NTC.
Excellent player, but made of glass.
He played every game last year, maybe he's over the hump

Reactions: Mitts

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Love Tanev. If healthy this contract is more than fine. But injuries are an issue.

Seemed to fair better playing with a fast puck mover like Hughes. Wish him the best.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Congrats Flames fans. This is who the TML should have signed IMO. Exactly what we needed. A straight up defensive mind D man.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I like it, seems like a bit of an overpay but this is a really good upgrade on Hamonic at only $640k a year more. Although I wish it didn't include trade protection, I like this signing.

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
Right....

Sure it’s got nothing to do with the Canucks bracing themselves for EP and Hughes contracts coming up....
When those contracts are due, there are tons of contracts coming off the books. That’s not an issue.

It’s got to do with injuries, age, and contract length.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad