Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] Chris Tanev signs with the Flames (4 years, $4.5M AAV)

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Of all Canucks free agent losses, I'm gonna miss him the most. Watching people bury him because of his "poor analytics" is about all I need to know about people who don't watch players play. He's fantastic in transition, fantastic at winning battles, and fantastic at finding the safety valve. He's not some Kris-Russel-one-trick pony where all he does is block shots, even though he's fantastic at that too. The bottom line is, if there is a 2-on-1 rush, there's no defender in the league I'd rather have to break it up than Tanev, except for maybe Hedman. He's the modern stay-at-home that every team wishes they could have, and no, that doesn't reflect well in the "shot attempts".

Calgary will get some great years out of him, that I'm confident. They need him, badly.

If you want a stat to tell you the story, look at the teams he played on that missed the playoffs and add up his +/-, then compare with his teammates. He got the toughest assignments and came out clean on the other side, while his sheltered teammates got eaten alive. Maybe you don't like +/-, but for a career mostly spent on a floundering team, it's not a coincidence.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad