Confirmed Trade: [CGY/CAR] Noah Hanifin and Elias Lindholm for Dougie Hamilton, Michael Ferland, and Adam Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why the hell does everybody keep saying he'll sign with the Rangers? Why would you want to sign with a dumpster fire of a team that is going to be blown up soon?.
Why would a player want to go to a team where they have a better chance of playing a larger role right away? Gee.... I wonder.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Jbo was my favorite comparison for Hanifin until it seemed he was just too far behind on the defensive instincts. I’ve watched some of the games and he’s bigger and stronger, and better a bit laterally with the puck holding the line but he still struggles with picking up the right guy at the right time. He wants to do well but lacks some basic defensive thinking.

I mean I haven’t really seen that this season. Hanifin hasn’t done a ton offensively but is looking fine on the second pair with Mike Stone while Hamonic is out.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'm glad Lindy and Hanifin are working out. There is really only one former Cane on the Flames that I would truly be worried about if I were a flames fan. That player is OT giveaway Ryan.

Yeah never loved the Ryan deal. He helps us this year but what about next year when we have to sign Tkachuk and a goalie?

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
There were numerous games as a Canes fan I witnessed Ryan get knocked off the puck and the result was a goal against in OT. I think you guys have the center depth like we didn't have back then. Hopefully that was the case and it wasn't a habit of BP playing him. I am glad you guys are happy with Lindy and Hani though. Good players.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Im just wondering why the **** is Peters deploying Hanifin the opposite way he did in Carolina :huh:

Sometimes it's not so much the individual but the combo. Hanifin's primary partner last year was Trevor Van Riemsdyk and the big takeaway is that Peters sheltered the pair, not the individual.

Hanifin's partners this year have been Travis Hamonic (before injury), Mike Stone (before the need to shelter Rasmus with a vet LD), and the rookie Rasmus Andersson. Hamonic and Stone in particular are guys who perform better in the defensive zone than they do in the offensive zone or neutral zone, so it makes sense to start them as close to their net and focused on a clean breakout rather than maintain gaps.

Hanifin-Andersson on the other hand have been more sheltered, naturally.

Once Hamonic comes back I have no doubt the Hanifin-Hamonic pair is going to be a premier pairing in the NHL and Hanifin's offense will be available again.

There were numerous games as a Canes fan I witnessed Ryan get knocked off the puck and the result was a goal against in OT. I think you guys have the center depth like we didn't have back then. Hopefully that was the case and it wasn't a habit of BP playing him. I am glad you guys are happy with Lindy and Hani though. Good players.

I'd be very shocked if Ryan played OT ahead of any of:

Gaudreau
Monahan
Backlund
Bennett
Tkachuk
Lindholm
Neal
Czarnik

I'd honestly be a bit surprised if he was sent out before Dube, Jankowski and Frolik tbqh.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Hanifin looks about as bad as I expected. Carolina hypes their defense up like crazy, but they aren't anything special.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hanifin looks about as bad as I expected. Carolina hypes their defense up like crazy, but they aren't anything special.

Hanifin hasn't been remotely bad. Our best player in game one with a top 4D as his partner. Solid in games two to five with either (a) a #6D or (b) a 22yo rookie on his opposite side playing a top 4 role.

He's looked every bit a #3 to future #1.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm not sure why but I still have my doubts about him. Who plays on his line in Carolina?

You have your doubts about him because Flames fans refused to give him credit for his own contributions to what was one of the better top lines in the NHL since Feb 21, 2017, because they kept adhering to this narrative that playing with Monahan and Gaudreau makes anyone better, and used buzzwords like inconsistent to describe natural hockey player variations in scoring that tend to follow guys who are not playing big offensive special teams minutes.

In reality he was more of a driving force than Monahan on his line at 5 on 5 and now he's on a new team that saw his own contributions to his line and decided to give him a pretty decent LWer (TT is no Gaudreau though) and an actual #1 center to boot.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
To me Ferland being resigned plays a huge part of who does well with this trade because I think the Canes did very well - but that could turn quick of they don't sign Ferland. If they lose him and Fox doesn't sign I'm pretty unhappy with the trade whereas right now I get why we did it and am seeing the improvement on the ice.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
To me Ferland being resigned plays a huge part of who does well with this trade because I think the Canes did very well - but that could turn quick of they don't sign Ferland. If they lose him and Fox doesn't sign I'm pretty unhappy with the trade whereas right now I get why we did it and am seeing the improvement on the ice.

And I think that thought process plays a huge part in the Canes making a big effort to re-sign Ferland and eventually sign Fox. We have the money and cap space, no need to nickel and dime Ferland if he has a great year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad