GDT: CGY(33-32-5) @ CHI(20-46-5) 6:30 SN1, it's chewsday innit

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Depends, one of our firsts next year is gone no matter (we still technically have two, ours and Florida's from the Tkachuk trade), but what is the most likely scenario is either:

1) Flames are a bottom 10 team, we send them the Florida pick.

2) Flames finish outside the bottom 10 (aka 11-32), we send Montreal our pick and keep Florida's.

However, if Florida falls off a cliff and is in the lottery next year then things get wack.

I think the answer to his question though is as long as Florida doesn't suck at the same time as us, it's fine.

Reactions: Deen

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Depends, one of our firsts next year is gone no matter (we still technically have two, ours and Florida's from the Tkachuk trade), but what is the most likely scenario is either:

1) Flames are a bottom 10 team, we send them the Florida pick.

2) Flames finish outside the bottom 10 (aka 11-32), we send Montreal our pick and keep Florida's.

However, if Florida falls off a cliff and is in the lottery next year then things get wack.

Damn. That sucks.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
That BUSCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH advert on the board is kinda distracting lol. Looks like someone fell asleep at the keyboard.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Can someone explain the conditions on the Monahan trade? Is there a sweet spot where we can suck and not hand it over?
From Cap Friendly lol.

Montreal Canadiens Acquire:
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens

Sean Monahan
2025 1st round pick (CGY) [Conditional]*
*Conditions: 1. If CGY’s 2024 1st round pick is between 20 and 32, MTL can take that pick instead. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY receives FLA’s 2025 1st round pick:
1. If both CGY AND FLA’s picks are NOT top 10, MTL will receive the better of the CGY and FLA 2025 1st round picks. Result: TBD

2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY does NOT receive FLA’s 1st round pick:

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is NOT top 10
1. MTL will receive the CGY pick, and
2. If FLA’s pick is not top 10, is a better pick than CGY’s, and was transferred to another team due to prior conditions, MTL will also receive CGY’s 2025 4th round pick.
Result: TBD

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is top 10:
1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick. Result: TBD
2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick. Result: TBD

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Damn. That sucks.

Yeah, we were always sending a first to Montreal with Monahan, the conditions were just about which one we would send (always to our disadvantage).

Even if the conditions fall into place and we send the 2025 Florida 1st and we keep all our firsts, it is still a horrendous trade. Like not only do we trade a 1st with Monahan, but the conditions aren't even to our benefit. Compound that with Montreal getting another 1st this year for him. IMO it's a top 10 worst trades of all time. Can't believe ownership didn't block this abomination, but they block other trades which would actually benefit the team.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah, we were always sending a first to Montreal with Monahan, the conditions were just about which one we would send (always to our disadvantage).

Even if the conditions fall into place and we send the 2025 Florida 1st and we keep all our firsts, it is still a horrendous trade. Like not only do we trade a 1st with Monahan, but the conditions aren't even to our benefit. Compound that with Montreal getting another 1st this year for him. IMO it's a top 10 worst trades of all time. Can't believe ownership didn't block this abomination, but they block other trades which would actually benefit the team.

Yeah I definitely agree. Tre really screwed us with this one. Did Money dirty too by wearing him out and never letting him heal. Just bad all around.

Reactions: Boomstick

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The conditions on our pick is another reason why the Flames should commit to a re-build the next couple years. Trying for the playoffs next year, inevitably failing because our team is not a top 8 team in the West then getting the 11th pick only to have to trade it to Montreal does not help the re-tool or the team at all. That would be a colossal f*** up. Suck next year (because the team you make isn't great, I am not saying not to try in game) then try and go for McKenna in 2026.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I was under the impression that trade was inspired by ownership... Not the conditions. That's probably a consequence of Treliving and Hughes doing amphetamines. But the compete vs rebuild mandate.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
The conditions on our pick is another reason why the Flames should commit to a re-build the next couple years. Trying for the playoffs next year, inevitably failing because our team is not a top 8 team in the West then getting the 11th pick only to have to trade it to Montreal does not help the re-tool or the team at all. That would be a colossal f*** up. Then try and go for McKenna in 2026.

If they don't end up with Tij Iginla by trading up or getting draft rights some other way, I am gonna be pissed. That's basically all we can hope for at this point (Outside an elite Centre). It would be hard to believe that isn't Conroy's guy going in.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If they don't end up with Tij Iginla by trading up or getting draft rights some other way, I am gonna be pissed. That's basically all we can hope for at this point (Outside an elite Centre).

I mean based on pre-draft rankings if the Flames walk away with Tig we're probably reaching for him. A lot of outfits are putting out rankings/groupings and there seems to be a top 8-10 (after Celebrini who is in his own tier) and then the group after which was Tig in it.

I'm personally hoping for Catton or one of the d-men (CP wants Lindstrom, but I don't get the hype, his stats are so mediocre for an alleged top guy).

Also of note, Pitt actually won a game so Flames as of right now sit at 9th overall in the draft.

Reactions: Deen and Boomstick

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
How long till someone butchers his name to TJ iginla?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I mean based on pre-draft rankings if the Flames walk away with Tig we're probably reaching for him. A lot of outfits are putting out rankings/groupings and there seems to be a top 8-10 (after Celebrini who is in his own tier) and then the group after which was Tig in it.

I'm personally hoping for Catton or one of the d-men (CP wants Lindstrom, but I don't get the hype, his stats are so mediocre for an alleged top guy).

Also of note, Pitt actually won a game so Flames as of right now sit at 9th overall in the draft.

Yeah that's fair. I guess it depends how far we drop with Markstrom doing swan dives out there. Make the 1st pick and move up to get Tij if that's the case. We have the draft capital at least.

How long till someone butchers his name to TJ iginla?

Tactical Incredible Jubilance

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Yeah that's fair. I guess it depends how far we drop with Markstrom doing swan dives out there. Make the 1st pick and move up to get Tij if that's the case. We have the draft capital at least.

Yeah I'd totally be down to try and trade up to get Tig. Either package the 1st with multiple 2nd's or...

I've been pondering it the past couple weeks, but I wonder if Jersey could do a draft day deal for Markstrom like when they traded for Schneider all those years ago for the 9th overall pick from Vancouver. I'd still want more than just a 1st rounder, but that would be a good start.

Tig is right there at 12 or 13 and Bettman comes to the podium, "he have a trade to announce". I'd lose my shit.

Reactions: Deen

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Yeah I'd totally be down to try and trade up to get Tig. Either package the 1st with multiple 2nd's or...

I've been pondering it the past couple weeks, but I wonder if Jersey could do a draft day deal for Markstrom like when they traded for Schneider all those years ago for the 9th overall pick from Vancouver. I'd still want more than just a 1st rounder, but that would be a good start.

Tig is right there at 12 or 13 and Bettman comes to the podium, "he have a trade to announce". I'd lose my shit.

They have guys they can flip also like Coleman, Backlund, and Govich.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Tactical Incredible Jubilance

That's Iginla Jr

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Hope they send Weegar to the Olympics. Honestly he has earned it. Not worth a Tkachuk though. Side note they should add that kid from Purdue Zack Edey to the summer Olympics to represent Canada.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What blueprint do you guys think the Flames should follow for their rebuild? I didn't mind Treliving's drafting looking for value in smaller high IQ players but it resulted in being too easy to keep to the outside during OZ possession. Always got shutdown fairly easily in the playoffs.

I like the Avalanche, obviously finding a Makar and MacKinnon would be difficult but their lineup is big and fast. Hard to take the puck from. They're my SC pick because I think that kind of roster is hard to deal with in the playoffs.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
What blueprint do you guys think the Flames should follow for their rebuild? I didn't mind Treliving's drafting looking for value in smaller high IQ players but it resulted in being too easy to keep to the outside during OZ possession. Always got shutdown fairly easily in the playoffs.

I like the Avalanche, obviously finding a Makar and MacKinnon would be difficult but their lineup is big and fast. Hard to take the puck from. They're my SC pick because I think that kind of roster is hard to deal with in the playoffs.

We are way too small. Honzek has size coming up, but we need a 6"1 Centre that is a game changer. Basically need a high draft pick to build around and hope he becomes a Mackinnon or even a Draisaitl we can surround. I think we are stuck until we are bad enough to get one.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This line in their own zone is nightmare fuel

Flames biggest strength going into this season was their top 4 D. Not at all a shock they look like trash after trading half of them.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
This line in their own zone is nightmare fuel

Flames biggest strength going into this season was their top 4 D. Not at all a shock they look like trash after trading half of them.
Okhotiuk was just standing there spectating lol.

Wow Kylington drafted in 2015. Can't believe he's been in the organization for 9 years. Seems like he's just gotten started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad