CFL: Official "Ottawa REDBLACKS" Thread Part IV: It's a Brand New Day edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I don't think this was hugely surprising given his play but I would have expected this sort of thing at the end of the year.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I don't think this was hugely surprising given his play but I would have expected this sort of thing at the end of the year.

Yeah that's my thought.

For such a face of the franchise until now, to be just be randomly released like that, if was a little shocking.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Was he not our best player last year? What happened?

Every game I go to I keep hearing "x yards run by CHEVON WALKER" and I'm thinking "can't anyone else get yards for us" then BAM released.

Who is replacing him? Is the replacement as good? Why couldn't we get anything in a trade?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
If you need one yard, Chevon will get you two.

If you need 15 yards, Chevon will get you two.

Likeable player, but the team is better off going in another direction.

Ttracer*

Can Ottawa release Burris next? Chevy was so useless it had to be done

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I know very little about football, so I'm not exactly qualified to say who is what, but just from watching almost every game this season, Walker's looked bad.

I've tried to watch other CFL teams games, and for certain teams it is night and day with running. The Redblacks have no running threat which makes them easier to defend against.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If you need one yard, Chevon will get you two.

If you need 15 yards, Chevon will get you two.

Exactly. From watching, seems like a guy who can always grind out a few yards but isn't the least bit dangerous. That's good to have, but not as your go to running back.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree

By releasing him now they don't have to pay him the rest of the year as a backup when they have cheaper on the practice roster. He wasn't producing as expected. Walker is a breakaway back and he wasn't playing like one. He just couldn't find the holes and rarely got more yardage than what was given to him by the defense. Johnson is more of a well rounded back (running, catching and blocking) who made the most of his chances. He broke some tackles and showed he could fight for yards when it looked like the play would be stuffed. Johnson may not be the best #1 option for the long term but right now Walker didn't play as advertised and there was little to gain paying him top dollars as the #1 back but keeping him around to be the backup.

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Not surprised by this... Chevy was one of their best players early last year but became quite ineffective well before the injury put him out for the rest of the season. This year he was completely useless.

Since he's a veteran they had to release him now or they'd have to pay him for the rest of the season if he made it to labour day.

I don't see Johnson as a solution but they did sign another RB a few weeks ago (can't remember the name but I'm sure he's been working on the practice roster). I wonder if there are any Shakir Bells hiding anywhere.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Not surprised by this... Chevy was one of their best players early last year but became quite ineffective well before the injury put him out for the rest of the season. This year he was completely useless.

Since he's a veteran they had to release him now or they'd have to pay him for the rest of the season if he made it to labour day.

I don't see Johnson as a solution but they did sign another RB a few weeks ago (can't remember the name but I'm sure he's been working on the practice roster). I wonder if there are any Shakir Bells hiding anywhere.

Might be Trayvon Van you're thinking of. He's on the practice roster but management's been speaking highly of him. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a shot.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Ah that's probably it then.

Still looking a little light in the backfield though.

Ttracer*

Big game vs Canada's team. We could actually win with riders injury list. Don't expect sexy cute football out there, Ottawa are 3 point favs!

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
The punters we get all come with pretty good creds until they punt for us. Last week the guy is supposed to have a 45+ yard average but shanks 2 and punts like a rookie with most nearer to 35 yards. Now he's on the practice roster.

This guy shanks one already and gets one blocked. You could see he takes a long time to release the punt and that's why we got called for 2 penalties because of our linemen leaving early. Sask was bound to spot his slow punting and that's why they got the block and 8 points out of it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The punters we get all come with pretty good creds until they punt for us. Last week the guy is supposed to have a 45+ yard average but shanks 2 and punts like a rookie with most nearer to 35 yards. Now he's on the practice roster.

This guy shanks one already and gets one blocked. You could see he takes a long time to release the punt and that's why we got called for 2 penalties because of our linemen leaving early. Sask was bound to spot his slow punting and that's why they got the block and 8 points out of it.

Could some of it do with the airflow in the stadium? The combination of the apartment buildings, the canal, and other businesses around might make for some strange air currents.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
They need to get Williams off the punt team. Catches the ball jumps left, jumps right then either dives at the cover guys feet or falls backwards to avoid getting hit. I'm shocked that they don't have someone better. And yes... I saw the fiasco 2 games ago but still there has to be someone who doesn't fall down so easily

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
It just shows what a decent running game can do for a team. Really solid game by Johnson. The pass pressure was fantastic even when they only rushed 4 and they really stuffed the Sask running game. Both the D and O lines had a very strong game. Great start, great 3rd quarter and a good win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad