CFL: Official "Ottawa REDBLACKS" Thread Part IV: It's a Brand New Day edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
We have basically shut down the offences of the past 4 teams we've played. 3 of them from the all-mighty west.

We aren't far off. Hell one touchdown from the offense in those games and we probably win all of them.

Anyone who was expecting a winning season in year one, was set up for disappointment right from the get go.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We have basically shut down the offences of the past 4 teams we've played. 3 of them from the all-mighty west.

We aren't far off. Hell one touchdown from the offense in those games and we probably win all of them.

Anyone who was expecting a winning season in year one, was set up for disappointment right from the get go.

You're right, of course. I do know that some people were dreaming about an 8-10, 9-9 kind of season, but that turned out to be complete fantasy. Credit to Arash Madani of Sportsnet who said right from the get-go that the expansion draft structure really didn't leave the REDBLACKS any better off than the Renegades were.

You make another good point in that the strength of our D means that we aren't that far away. If we were getting blown out 37-5, that would be one thing, but the fact that we are in every game means that it can, and will, turn around eventually. All we need is a couple more impact players on offense, and we'll find those sooner or later by sorting through the stacks of NFL cuts past and present.

About my only real criticism of them from a football perspective is not being more aggressive in bringing in another running back prospect. I think it has been clear for a while that Walker is not an every down, north/south kind of back, and that we needed someone else in there to lessen his load at the very least. Now Walker is done for the year, and the need to bring in a back is urgent.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
another loss and it was still a great time at TD place. team has no where to go but up and i don't doubt it will be sooner than later. in the mean time, thank you to everyone involved in building it. the wins (they) will come.

I thought that was the best game of the season... Best crowd too, I have been to every game.

I found it encouraging they were finally going to a quick strike offense of 5 yard passes on slants. They finally adjusted to the weak O line.

The Defense is unreal, one of the best in the league. Its a lot harder and more important to build a dominant D core than it is an offense in the CFL. Just need to sign a few offensive players next year and they are looking good.

Love the atmosphere at the games, it makes me wonder how much better the Sens games would be if they were downtown.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
You're right, of course. I do know that some people were dreaming about an 8-10, 9-9 kind of season, but that turned out to be complete fantasy. Credit to Arash Madani of Sportsnet who said right from the get-go that the expansion draft structure really didn't leave the REDBLACKS any better off than the Renegades were.

You make another good point in that the strength of our D means that we aren't that far away. If we were getting blown out 37-5, that would be one thing, but the fact that we are in every game means that it can, and will, turn around eventually. All we need is a couple more impact players on offense, and we'll find those sooner or later by sorting through the stacks of NFL cuts past and present.

About my only real criticism of them from a football perspective is not being more aggressive in bringing in another running back prospect. I think it has been clear for a while that Walker is not an every down, north/south kind of back, and that we needed someone else in there to lessen his load at the very least. Now Walker is done for the year, and the need to bring in a back is urgent.

Bring back Josh Ranek! lol

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There's a name from the past! Did you notice how short Ranek's career was post-Renegades? The sad truth is that running backs have a very short shelf life. All but a rare few are only productive for a few years, after which injuries slow them down. Once you've lost half a step, you are no longer an asset. Football is a great game, but man it is a complete meat market on the pro level...

Fusbolito

Jan 29, 2012
Bring back Josh Ranek! lol

I was searching just last week for a Ranek gameworn on ebay and similar sites. He and Kerry Joseph really made that team.

Such a shame the Gliebermans had to come in yet again and mess things up for everyone.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Anyone who was expecting a winning season in year one, was set up for disappointment right from the get go.[/QUOTE]

While i thought they would have one or two more wins by now the bolded part is very correct. Luckily most other RB fans i have spoken too were pretty grounded from the get go and kind of knew what to expect.

I have not really spoken to anyone who regretted attending a game so far no matter the score weather etc...!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Anyone who was expecting a winning season in year one, was set up for disappointment right from the get go.[/QUOTE]

While i thought they would have one or two more wins by now the bolded part is very correct. Luckily most other RB fans i have spoken too were pretty grounded from the get go and kind of knew what to expect.

I have not really spoken to anyone who regretted attending a game so far no matter the score weather etc...!

I hope that continues into the COLD weather! It's easy to enjoy yourself on a nice summer's day!

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I hope that continues into the COLD weather! It's easy to enjoy yourself on a nice summer's day!

Last week was rainy as hell and still fantastic. When they called the game people in the stands near me started chanting "********" because everyone was having so much fun despite the bad weather.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Feeling a lot like "Super Season 88" , minus the excitement, but I am still enjoying having football back. I think we went 2-16 that year?

Feel a lot like the Riders actually, how they are finding ways to lose games, but it is a work in progress.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Some speculation that with Darian Durant out for the year, Burris could be on his way to Saskatchewan.

Man do I hope this is true...

Yep, the rumour is Burris is heading to the Prairies for Tino Sunseri and a pick. Apparently management has decided that if we're gonna lose...we're gonna do it with youth now.

Great trade nonetheless if it actually comes to fruition.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Yep, the rumour is Burris is heading to the Prairies for Tino Sunseri and a pick. Apparently management has decided that if we're gonna lose...we're gonna do it with youth now.

Great trade nonetheless if it actually comes to fruition.

Where do you see these rumours about Burris going to Saskatchewan? I haven't seen anything on it. Also, what position is this Sunseri guy?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
With the Toronto and Montreal losses this weekend, we've still got a very real shot of not only making the playoffs, but also hosting the East Final. :dunno:

A Hamilton loss today would be soooo perfect.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
How badly will the Roughriders spank our RedBlacks tommorrow?

Even with the Durant injury, they still might be able to woop ass us? Yes? No?

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
They'll compete and it will be close.

Our defense has been doing a great job recently, what we need is to be able to string together some long drives on offense to a) put up some points and b) so the defense isn't exhausted by the 4th quarter.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
I think Shologan and Burris will help us finally get that elusive second win today. I'm also really hoping for an offensive touchdown for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad