OT: CF Montreal thread - Zzz Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
Love that Renard in the interview mentioned how the MLS u23 initiative kept changing to the point that they weren’t satisfied with the project anymore.

That’s the MLS modus operandi: make shit up as you go. Wonder if the club got any push back from the league for holding out.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Like I was telling everyone last week Insigne is a done deal and the ? mark is whether he comes in January or July, only thing left is waiting for the window transfer to open because he's a free agent in July.

That same person told me he doesn't know whether it's 10 or 13 mil but it's in between and it's a 3 year contract 100%, his condo in dtown is ready.

Early Congrats to Toronto I guess for the biggest coup, I doubt they'll stop here.

Renardousexuals are excitedou.

I wantedou a COMPLETE #8 that being saidou...

Renard can just release a player that was below average and all the renardsexuals will climax.

But yeah we need a #8 asap. I have a feeling Djordje is on the leave.... I'll pay attention in the next few days if I find any articles. I hope he stays

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Seems like a great deal for a young domestic high-potential player. Mostly plays RB though no? Not sure if he can help reinforce CB.

Edit: Seems to fit in well in a system with 5 at the back, makes sense then since that seems to be what Nancy likes.

Can basically run a full Canada back line now, which is great since it leaves all our INT slots for more impactful positions.
Don't we have Corbo and Thorkelson?

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
Don't we have Corbo and Thorkelson?
Better Corbo and Thorkelsson than Camacho, Struna, Kizza, Thorkelsson, Binks, etc :P

it's fine to use int spots on D, but we've definitely gone a bit overboard in the past. Plenty of good Canadian and American defenders in the league.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Better Corbo and Thorkelsson than Camacho, Struna, Kizza, Thorkelsson, Binks, etc :P

it's fine to use int spots on D, but we've definitely gone a bit overboard in the past. Plenty of good Canadian and American defenders in the league.
Interesting that they did not protect Thorkesson in the expansion draft. Probably see Corbo as quite better.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Why didn't they announce Johnston yet ?

Is he going to Bologna via Montreal
Or something

It never takes this long for a trade intra mls

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

2loQre9.gif

Last edited:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Intern got too drunk for Christmas, saw my post and remembered. It was getting suspicious.

The squad will be interesting next year. There is at least 3 Canadians for the World cup who will be selected, I believe Toye and especially Djordje can also get called up for USA. Hamdi for Egypt, he certainly is good enough, he plays in a better league than nearly all their squad.

Thats at least 6 players... potentially of course.

Just get a number 8 and try to keep Djordje we have a complete squad. Sadly I think the latter is leaving. I hope I am wrong.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
God I love the Johnston move.

Our RCB spot is now secured for years.

Few questions remain still:

-Who's our n.1 Goalkeeper in 2022?

It could be a 3-way battle if Sirois makes the jump. Breza's escape clause was in the 7 figures, which explains why it wasn't activated, despite finishing the year as iut starter Goalkeeper, and doing very well.

- Is Hamdi ready for the box-to-box role on the starting XI?

I know we could easily find an upgrade in the n.8 spot, but I find Hamdi hella expensive to be a bench player. Lord and Bernier mentioned that Houston's Memo Rodriguez could be available. That would be a nice insurance policy behind Hamdi.

- Are we comfortable with Toye and Quioto as our 2 starting strikers? God I'd love a n.9 DP in 2022, while we still have the league's top passer still around.

- Is Bassong/Choinière the answer at LB? Wing backs that aren't good at centering balls is a soccer pet-peeve of mine. Kizza was really good at it. Sadly, it was his only skill.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

It could be a 3-way battle if Sirois makes the jump. Breza's escape clause was in the 7 figures, which explains why it wasn't activated, despite finishing the year as iut starter Goalkeeper, and doing very well.

I know we could easily find an upgrade in the n.8 spot, but I find Hamdi hella expensive to be a bench player. Lord and Bernier mentioned that Houston's Memo Rodriguez could be available. That would be a nice insurance policy behind Hamdi.

- Are we comfortable with Toye and Quioto as our 2 starting strikers? God I'd love a n.9 DP in 2022, while we still have the league's top passer still around.

- Is Bassong/Choinière the answer at LB? Wing backs that aren't good at centering balls is a soccer pet-peeve of mine. Kizza was really good at it. Sadly, it was his only skill.

Hamdi should not be #8. He's closer to a 10, false #9. If we do lose DJ or before that, I would like him to play in that spot to try him out. I'd pay high for Eustaquio, he's exactly what we need.

#9 is a big question mark indeed

Reactions: Michelangelo

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

All valid questions/observations. I do think the GK situation will need to be improved, going back to Pantemis sure wouldn't fill me with a lot of confidence. As far as Hamdi is concerned, I'd be willing to give him a chance , if only because he's still very young and he had flashes of working well at that position when he first came in with the team. In a way, NOW would have been a great time to have Taider on the 11 though :laugh: We can probably do better at #8 long term, I'd certainly be on the look out if I'm Renard.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The only positive we can use to talk about Bjorn is actually Mason Toye. Prior to this past year, most people were ready to call his addition a failure and wanted him replaced. Now he's penciled in as a guaranteed part of our front two with Quioto. It can take time to adjust to both MLS and a new team. He was also in a rabbit hole type situation where everything he was trying to do was making things worse. Hopefully he's taken the time to clear his head and come back with a fresh start type of mindset and be the player we hope he can be.

The backline is looking much better right now with AJ. The question is going to be who's going to play in between him and Miller in that back 3 as a regular starter. Can that be Corbo or Thor? No clue.

In the midfield we obviously have Wanyama but he plays more back than front. Djorde is obviously a starter and then it's up to Nancy and his formation. I'd like to think it's going to kind of be a 3-1-4-2 setup which means you have either Hamdi or Miljevic beside him with ZBG and Choiniere on the outside and Toye/Quioto up top. We need Hamdi/Miljevic to show they can play 90 or we need to acquire a starting midfielder.

Lastly......there are now multiple reports officially linking Insigne to Toronto as being a done deal with a 5 year deal around 60 million being the rumor. He'd come in June on a free transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad