OT: CF Montréal: L'Ère de Courtoisie

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Did anyone really think we even had a chance given our top 3 attackers were out?

What's worrisome for me is the team defensively. That goal that tied it started by having Choiniere, Lassiter, and Iankov way too high and out of position which then then led to too much space between that line and the back 5. Then Edwards obviously got beat.

But we've given up the most or second most shots on goal so far and that's worrisome. Maybe part of it is the 6 away games, but we need to be better defensively.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Did anyone really think we even had a chance given our top 3 attackers were out?

What's worrisome for me is the team defensively. That goal that tied it started by having Choiniere, Lassiter, and Iankov way too high and out of position which then then led to too much space between that line and the back 5. Then Edwards obviously got beat.

But we've given up the most or second most shots on goal so far and that's worrisome. Maybe part of it is the 6 away games, but we need to be better defensively.

Well, to answer your first question, it wasn't the offense that sunk them :(

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
A draw feels about right IMO, Orlando had the ball more overall and we were very opportunistic. Sucks to only get one point after taking a late lead, but if you'd told me before the match we were getting a 2-2 result with all the injuries this week, I would have been more than happy to take it.

Reactions: JtotheC

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Their main issue is not being able to hold the ball when pressed. This is what makes them lose composure while protecting leads, the lack of trust in the team creates so many holes between the lines and the opponent pounces on those opportunities.

It's only a matter of time before the team settles down in those situations...the same thing happened under Nancy.

In the short term, they only need to stay afloat in the standings, and they need a margin of error every game...they wont be winning 1-0. They need at least two goals per game. Do they have enough goals without Martinez and Coccaro? It remains to be seen.

Toye still has the potential. And Iankov, if healthy, will be the main catalyzer.

Observations from last night:

-Choinière has clearly taken another step, he was brilliant.
-Edwards was great as well. Too bad he got beat on the tying goal.
-I think the coach needs to be more proactive about subbing his wingbacks. These guys shouldn't be playing 80+ minutes every game.
-The backline is struggling when pressed. It's also a collective problem.
-Duke's quality went down the drain, he's not the same player that we got from Miami.
-I really like Sunusi in more of a play disturber/dirty work role. He's like another Coccaro.
-Lassiter did a decent job as a wingback, but he clearly is a forward/winger.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdk

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I guess Courtois will have to make a committee work, somehow. Ibrahim/Toye/Lassiter/Vilsaint in whatever combination they feel good about on any specific match.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Their main issue is not being able to hold the ball when pressed. This is what makes them lose composure while protecting leads, the lack of trust in the team creates so many holes between the lines and the opponent pounces on those opportunities.

It's only a matter of time before the team settles down in those situations...the same thing happened under Nancy.

And Wanyama was the glue, did a fantastic job. He should be playing around 50% of the minutes two years later. At least give him the chance to help stabilitze things before deciding he can't.

In the short term, they only need to stay afloat in the standings, and they need a margin of error every game...they wont be winning 1-0. They need at least two goals per game. Do they have enough goals without Martinez and Coccaro? It remains to be seen.

Toye still has the potential. And Iankov, if healthy, will be the main catalyzer.

Yes, that's two good players there. Gone are the days when Ken Krolicki is your first guy off the bench.

Observations from last night:

-Choinière has clearly taken another step, he was brilliant.
-Edwards was great as well. Too bad he got beat on the tying goal.

Edwards was kept on too long.

-I really like Sunusi in more of a play disturber/dirty work role. He's like another Coccaro.
-Lassiter did a decent job as a wingback, but he clearly is a forward/winger.

Like them both.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The shitty thing is that we have a really, really rough schedule coming up for the rest of Aprile and then in May and June and there's a real chance that things go south real quick. I know Opoku and Vilsaint are very close to returning but I don't know if that's enough. Then throw in the CMNT guys leaving in June and it's going to be made worse.

Like, for a month, Breza is most likely going to be our starting goalie. We're going to see a heavy dose of Opoku and Vilsaint. Saliba and Zouhir will need to step up. What can Wanyama and Yankov give in terms of minutes. I think our CB's will be fine though.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The shitty thing is that we have a really, really rough schedule coming up for the rest of Aprile and then in May and June and there's a real chance that things go south real quick. I know Opoku and Vilsaint are very close to returning but I don't know if that's enough. Then throw in the CMNT guys leaving in June and it's going to be made worse.

Like, for a month, Breza is most likely going to be our starting goalie. We're going to see a heavy dose of Opoku and Vilsaint. Saliba and Zouhir will need to step up. What can Wanyama and Yankov give in terms of minutes. I think our CB's will be fine though.
Wanyama won't have any stamina issues at least, the guy has barely been on the pitch since the season started.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
And Wanyama was the glue, did a fantastic job. He should be playing around 50% of the minutes two years later. At least give him the chance to help stabilitze things before deciding he can't.

Yes, that's two good players there. Gone are the days when Ken Krolicki is your first guy off the bench.

Edwards was kept on too long.

Like them both.

Wanyama's sudden omission makes zero sense. It's like they don't want him to play because he'll warrant a contract extension. Leading 2 to 1 with 8 minutes to go @ home and you have the option between a Premier League VETERAN DM and a local young player...

I'm starting to question Courtois' capacities to manage at this Level. Questionable subs, Outcoached, Recurring injuries. He needs a serious assistant with managerial experience to guide him.

BTW, I'm all in on Toye. IMO, He's a better striker than Coccaro

With better decision making this team could've been pushing for the 1st position. Courtois' end of game management is the equivalent to a guy struggling to get a 2nd date. Starting well but rambling about boring topics to then fumble. That's CF Montreal.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

Wanyama actually struggles mightily under the press. It's like he's not aware of his surroundings. Signed him a year too long. He wasn't really stabilizing anything last year, it was the opposite.

I think he should be playing more as well, but then again, maybe he's shite in training. He will get his fair share of games in the upcoming weeks though.

Edwards was kept on too long

Yes, but apparently Courtois was trying to sub him for a while, but they couldn't get a stoppage.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad