Central Division Race [MOD WARNING; POST #697]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
Gotcha, local broadcasters will always throw out the same crazy stat again and again lol.

5 on 5 scoring - what a wild and crazy stat! Next thing you know they will come up with some whole new genre of, lets call them, "advanced" stats that focuses on 5 v 5 play.

I knew they led 5 v 5, but I thought it was also overall goals for since Dubnyk started playing. It is really hard to find point in time team stats. I spent some time a while back looking for them but could not find anything.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Goalies do tend to be crowded and bumped into more in the playoffs, so I am curious to see how he handles that.

I also hope to God that he does not get injured. We're pretty much ****ed if he does.
People forget the goalie who won them a series last year.
The part that is lost in all of this is that since Dubnyk's arrival, the Wild lead the league in goals for (at least they did 2 or 3 games ago). While Dubnyk stole a few games (B2B against St Louis, and then another B2B against NYI) he generally has not needed to be overly spectacular.

The Wild have been so dominant in a couple of games that I feel I could have played goalie and won.

Last edited:

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
don't worry Wild fans, we know how you feel. Brian Elliott is 3 or 4 years in but he's still just a fluke. He'll go back to the sub .900 goalie he really is soon

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Wild don't get too many powerplays anyway. They're just out of practice. So it's nice that we're on top of the 5v5 game.

charger66

Dec 9, 2006
mn
hits4pay.com
The wild pp is not just out of practice. ..it blows. ...The end.

The first unit is far to picky and deliberate....wwaaay to slow in its passing and overall decision making.

And the staff leaves them out routinely for 1:30+ it's a complete joke.

That is fact

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
5 on 5 scoring - what a wild and crazy stat! Next thing you know they will come up with some whole new genre of, lets call them, "advanced" stats that focuses on 5 v 5 play.

I knew they led 5 v 5, but I thought it was also overall goals for since Dubnyk started playing. It is really hard to find point in time team stats. I spent some time a while back looking for them but could not find anything.

5 v 5 is important, but it still doesn't mean all that much, and this is coming from one of the best 5 v 5 teams of the past few years.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
5 v 5 is important, but it still doesn't mean all that much, and this is coming from one of the best 5 v 5 teams of the past few years.

The vast majority of the time in a season is spent 5 v 5, yet it doesn't mean much? The wild have played 74 games, or 4,440 minutes. Of that time, 393 minutes were spent on the Power Play, or 8.9% of the total time.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The vast majority of the time in a season is spent 5 v 5, yet it doesn't mean much? The wild have played 74 games, or 4,440 minutes. Of that time, 393 minutes were spent on the Power Play, or 8.9% of the total time.

In the playoffs, it comes down to critical situations when almost all teams involved are good at 5 on 5. A good powerplay won't win you a playoff series, but trust me, an anemic one will, the Blues failures are proof.

The Wild are in the group where splitting hairs really is the difference between success and failure. It's a good group to be in.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
In the playoffs, it comes down to critical situations when almost all teams involved are good at 5 on 5. A good powerplay won't win you a playoff series, but trust me, an anemic one will, the Blues failures are proof.

The Wild are in the group where splitting hairs really is the difference between success and failure. It's a good group to be in.

The past cup winning teams haven't been all that good on the powerplay.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
The wild pp is not just out of practice. ..it blows. ...The end.

The first unit is far to picky and deliberate....wwaaay to slow in its passing and overall decision making.

And the staff leaves them out routinely for 1:30+ it's a complete joke.

That is fact

I was being glib, but forgive me for not trusting anyone who ends statement of opinion with things like "the end" and "that is fact".

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
when the fans start talking like they know more than the coaches.

That's lame.

But not as lame as the Islanders and lighting tonight

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
If Nashville is going to start winning again, I'd almost prefer the Hawks finish 4th. No disrespect to anyone, but I'd just assume not play the Blues in the 1st rd.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Chicago's last 10 games - 7-2-1 - 15pts
Minnesota's last 10 games - 7-3-0 - 14pts
Winnipeg's last 10 games - 7-3-0 - 14pts
LA's last 10 games - 6-2-2 - 14pts
Calgary's last 10 games - 5-2-3 - 13pts

This playoff race is beyond insane!!!!!

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Damnit Winnipeg... why can't you just lose a game for a change?!!??!

Because we lost a single game after a 5 game winning streak, and we were in the exact same situation as we were before our win streak. We can't afford to lose several games.:cry:

eternalfaith

Aug 15, 2007
Minny
Not like anyone else is.

Talon is just wanting the ability for the Wild to get a little separation and none of the teams in the playoff chase are giving any ground

Chicago's last 10 games - 7-2-1 - 15pts
Minnesota's last 10 games - 7-3-0 - 14pts
Winnipeg's last 10 games - 7-3-0 - 14pts
LA's last 10 games - 6-2-2 - 14pts
Calgary's last 10 games - 5-2-3 - 13pts

This playoff race is beyond insane!!!!!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
All 7 teams in the division have cracked 80 points now.

Its very likely that every other division will have at least 2 teams not crack 80 points.

Central division is just plain stupid. :cry:

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
I don't think I've seen a single Wild fan argue that long term they think Duby is going to be an elite .930 style goaltender. But there is a giant difference between mediocre goaltending, and elite goaltending.

Saying Dubnyk has been mediocre his entire career isn't true, and the stats are there to back it up. With the exception of one year, he's played like an average starter.

Totally agree. To add a bit, an average starter is about what I expect from him overall. Hopefully he's better but it would be kind of surprising. My expectation above doesn't mean there isn't an okay chance for him to sustain this another ~20-25% of his games played this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad