Speculation: Centering Aho

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Francis said he has had discussions with Aho and Aho has indicated he isn't ready/doesn't feel comfortable with centering yet

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Francis said he has had discussions with Aho and Aho has indicated he isn't ready/doesn't feel comfortable with centering yet

I thought I heard during the end of year presser (but frankly, I couldn't pay close enough attention so I could be very wrong), that it was Peters/Francis saying they didn't want to put him in that position if he wasn't ready. Did they say they talked to him about it? Or was that relayed at a different time?

I'm not disputing what you wrote, just wanted clarification as I didn't hear that and haven't been on top of all the news/press conferences.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I thought I heard during the end of year presser (but frankly, I couldn't pay close enough attention so I could be very wrong), that it was Peters/Francis saying they didn't want to put him in that position if he wasn't ready. Did they say they talked to him about it? Or was that relayed at a different time?

I'm not disputing what you wrote, just wanted clarification as I didn't hear that and haven't been on top of all the news/press conferences.
There was a live stream yesterday that I got an email about I guess because we have a ticket package. Just an informal setting where Maniscalco asked fans twitter questions. I think the question was like, and I'm paraphrasing here, "A 1C is a hole for this team, is it possible we already have one on the roster?"

Francis went on to talk about Rask stepping in now and Aho in the future but wasn't ready to jump in and say he'd be ready. Then he brought up conversations he's had with Aho about his feelings and comfort possibly playing the center position in which I got that Aho said he wasn't ready yet.

I tried to find the video as the email said the stream would be playable at a later date but the link only plays an ad now and I can't find it in the archive. I'll check again sometime and see if I can find it. I missed the beginning half so he may have said more

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I generally trust the rest of you when it comes to prospect info....I must say this is disturbing to hear. I thought he was a better prospect.

FWIW, people were saying the same thing about Rask the offseason before his rookie year and he turned out fine. I think Roy will probably follow a similar track.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
There was a live stream yesterday that I got an email about I guess because we have a ticket package. Just an informal setting where Maniscalco asked fans twitter questions. I think the question was like, and I'm paraphrasing here, "A 1C is a hole for this team, is it possible we already have one on the roster?"

Francis went on to talk about Rask stepping in now and Aho in the future but wasn't ready to jump in and say he'd be ready. Then he brought up conversations he's had with Aho about his feelings and comfort possibly playing the center position in which I got that Aho said he wasn't ready yet.

I tried to find the video as the email said the stream would be playable at a later date but the link only plays an ad now and I can't find it in the archive. I'll check again sometime and see if I can find it. I missed the beginning half so he may have said more

Ah..thanks!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

A lot can happen in 6 months.

I would also look at giving him few games at C in the pre season, to get the 1st touch of being a C in smaller rink and see how he feels.

But then again Nylander is still a winger and potentially a C in his prime, so there's no rush.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
He's looked fine. He's been weak on faceoffs but I attribute that to a year off of taking faceoffs in high quality games. He has an assist on the PP from his shot getting tipped and banged in after a rebound

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
And looks great& comfortable.

He can be brilliant one day, great thing with him is that he doesn't play like a small player.

With his IQ he could be playing goalie and still look comfortable.

I honestly think he could drive a zamboni, too.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
With his IQ he could be playing goalie and still look comfortable.

I honestly think he could drive a zamboni, too.

Aho is the result of the union of The Most Interesting Man in the World and someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

And Chuck Norris.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He's looked fine. He's been weak on faceoffs but I attribute that to a year off of taking faceoffs in high quality games. He has an assist on the PP from his shot getting tipped and banged in after a rebound

Eeh...from what i saw, he took the faceoffs for Teräväinen pretty often.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Many (maybe most?) young guys struggle at face-offs against NHL level competition, which is what Aho faces in the IIHF against Canada and US. I firmly believe though that Carolina is the right team to learn how to get better under the coaching of Brindy. Jordan Staal was a ~45% - 50% range FO guy when he came to Carolina. He's now been at 58-59% and one of the best in the league. Lindholm has gone from 46% his 1st year up to 56% this year. Even Eric Staal went from low 40% range to low 50% range over time in Carolina.

Winning faceoffs is really about 3 things. Hand/eye coordination, strength and most importantly, desire (willing to work on them and willing to fight for every puck). Although not a big guy, I think Aho is already relatively strong and will only get stronger. He definitely has the hand/eye coordination and from everything we know about him, the desire is there. It may take a few years, but I can see him being a very good face-off man over time.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Aho is the result of the union of The Most Interesting Man in the World and someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

And Chuck Norris.

I don't think Chuck would swing for such a questionable setup.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

It's around the 8 minute mark

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/vide...1ef20c4d&elqaid=775&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=580

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I was very happy with how he looked at C in the 3 last games, which happened to be the biggest games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->