Line Combos: Center position

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Red Wings center position in coming years
#1 Larkin
#2 Veleno
#3 Rasmussen
#4 Phillips
most likely Byfield or Stutzle not going to get drafted by RW. There is also Jack Adams who was impressive at prospect tournament.
We might get little better at this draft by getting Rossi , Khustnutdinov, Brisson and others

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
#1 Larkin
#2 Veleno
#3 Rasmussen
#4 Phillips
most likely Byfield or Stutzle not going to get drafted by RW. There is also Jack Adams who was impressive at prospect tournament.
We might get little better at this draft by getting Rossi , Khustnutdinov, Brisson and others

With those centers the Wings will be a sub 400 team for a long time to come.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
With those centers the Wings will be a sub 400 team for a long time to come.
there are other positions also , hockey is team sport . Oilers have 2 best centers in the NHL , but they far not NHL best team

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
there are other positions also , hockey is team sport . Oilers have 2 best centers in the NHL , but they far not NHL best team

Okay? Whataboutism doesn't change the fact that Detroit has no high end center talent at all. They are deeper at every other skater position.

Reactions: taliababa
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
#1 Larkin
#2 Veleno
#3 Rasmussen
#4 Phillips

I do think Veleno will become a 2C at some point, but I expect it to be a slow progression. I like JV, I think he needs a good year in the A to gain confidence and prove he can play at the professional level. Then it'll take him at least 2 or 3 seasons to become a 2C, but I do think he gets there.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
If anything, this thread proves we badly need that center depth. Rasmussen I’ve pretty much already written off, and Veleno really struggled last year so hope is fading a bit.

Larkin is solid but no way in hell should be our top C if we want any chance of seeing playoffs.

For a team bottom in scoring the last 4 years, we really need to take the risk and go for C this draft with a high ceiling.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If anything, this thread proves we badly need that center depth. Rasmussen I’ve pretty much already written off, and Veleno really struggled last year so hope is fading a bit.

You are too early writing these guys off. Rasmussen played 1st line minutes in shut-down Center role. That's a tough duty, shut down the opponents. And his role will never be produce high points, but bring the intangibles, like Holmström. Injuries have been nagging him, nothing else.

Also, how well Veleno did for Canada was a proof of his progress in AHL. He has proably struggled against men, but he was the youngest kid there.

They are developing and the development process won't always show statistically out. Like for Zadina, he looked like he is busting and struggling, but when I did see him in NHL, he was totally different, faster and better player. A developed player, NHL-level player.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You are too early writing these guys off. Rasmussen played 1st line minutes in shut-down Center role. That's a tough duty, shut down the opponents. And his role will never be produce high points, but bring the intangibles, like Holmström. Injuries have been nagging him, nothing else.

Also, how well Veleno did for Canada was a proof of his progress in AHL. He has proably struggled against men, but he was the youngest kid there.

They are developing and the development process won't always show statistically out. Like for Zadina, he looked like he is busting and struggling, but when I did see him in NHL, he was totally different, faster and better player. A developed player, NHL-level player.

Veleno was tied for 21st in PPG with 1 ppg, playing with Laf who has 2 ppg. He was fine, but he wasn't a world burner. There is no reason to read a lot into it.

Ras so far hasn't shown he can process the game at the NHL level yet. Even his production at the AHL level was good, but not good enough to make me believe he will be an effective top 9 center in the NHL. I would still bet he's going to slot in as a big bodied winger on a 3rd line/2nd pp.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Veleno was tied for 21st in PPG with 1 ppg, playing with Laf who has 2 ppg. He was fine, but he wasn't a world burner. There is no reason to read a lot into it.

He was steady defensively, which enabled Lafreniere to shine offensively. That's what you want from your center in winning hockey. In Red Wings hockey. Be defensively responsible. His coach praised Veleno about that when we all thought he just totally sucks at Grand Rapids when collecting only minuses. But that matched totally with the development process, when you learn from things and mistakes. WJC was a cleR sign of his progress, when matchups did get easier, against age class level vs. mature AHL men level.

Being a world burner means that he is at the level of Crosby or Malkin. He's not gonna be that and no one expects that.

Ras so far hasn't shown he can process the game at the NHL level yet. Even his production at the AHL level was good, but not good enough to make me believe he will be an effective top 9 center in the NHL. I would still bet he's going to slot in as a big bodied winger on a 3rd line/2nd pp.

3rd line and 1st PP power-play net-front. The line doesn't really matter but that PP netfront is almost obvious. That 6'6 is only weapon against monster goalies and he is so superb with his reach on rebounds. Also good hand-eye for tip-ins. That ability hasn't disappeared anywhere, he is just developing other aspects to become more complete. Could be a 1-2 line winger if both Veleno and 2020 draftee pans out in the middle.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He was steady defensively, which enabled Lafreniere to shine offensively. That's what you want from your center in winning hockey. In Red Wings hockey. Be defensively responsible. His coach praised Veleno about that when we all thought he just totally sucks at Grand Rapids when collecting only minuses. But that matched totally with the development process, when you learn from things and mistakes. WJC was a cleR sign of his progress, when matchups did get easier, against age class level vs. mature AHL men level.

Being a world burner means that he is at the level of Crosby or Malkin. He's not gonna be that and no one expects that.

3rd line and 1st PP power-play net-front. The line doesn't really matter but that PP netfront is almost obvious. That 6'6 is only weapon against monster goalies and he is so superb with his reach on rebounds. Also good hand-eye for tip-ins. That ability hasn't disappeared anywhere, he is just developing other aspects to become more complete. Could be a 1-2 line winger if both Veleno and 2020 draftee pans out in the middle.

I expect someone whose playing against men to outplay kids. He didn't do that. He had a very pedestrian WJC. Again I think you're being way too optimistic on two players who haven't shown a to be more than bottom 6 guys.

Reactions: hkydave04

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Bump.

If hockey kept me up at night, the Wings having abysmal center depth would be the reason why.

Things look bleak down the middle. We have no exciting center youth on the roster, none waiting in Grand Rapids, and our center prospects elsewhere - Niederbach, Phillips, Savage - aren’t moving anybody’s needle.

No good young centers are on the trade market (as they rarely are) and the best free agents are old for our window (Trochek/Kadri), not that great (Domi), or will be in competitive demand and expensive - Hertl - if he makes it to UFA.

To top it all off, the 2022 draft looks bad for (actual, future NHL) centers outside of the top 2 (Cooley, Wright).

I’m at the point where I think we need another tank year in 2023 just for another shot at a top center (and that draft actually has players listed as centers who can actually play center). We can’t keep kicking this can down the road. There’s no point moving forward as a club without strength at center. It’s too important.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Bump.

If hockey kept me up at night, the Wings having abysmal center depth would be the reason why.

Things look bleak down the middle. We have no exciting center youth on the roster, none waiting in Grand Rapids, and our center prospects elsewhere - Niederbach, Phillips, Savage - aren’t moving anybody’s needle.

No good young centers are on the trade market (as they rarely are) and the best free agents are old for our window (Trochek/Kadri), not that great (Domi), or will be in competitive demand and expensive - Hertl - if he makes it to UFA.

To top it all off, the 2022 draft looks bad for (actual, future NHL) centers outside of the top 2 (Cooley, Wright).

I’m at the point where I think we need another tank year in 2023 just for another shot at a top center (and that draft actually has players listed as centers who can actually play center). We can’t keep kicking this can down the road. There’s no point moving forward as a club without strength at center. It’s too important.
Pretty odd for a team run by a bunch of centers? Stevie, Draper, Horcoff.....

Either the team overpays for a center or it's wasting away in Mediocreville.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Bump.

I think everyone understands the center position needs improvement.
Having said that I don't think it's as bleak as some make it out to be:

Larkin - 25 years old
Suter - 25 years old
Rasmussen - 22 years old
Veleno - 22 years old
Niederbach - 19 years old
Savage - 18 years old
Liam Dower Nilsson - 18 years old

Add a center 1st round in the coming draft and keep exploring trades.

Anyone who has in their head that the Wings are building a Pittsburgh/Edmonton style center lineup needs to get off that idea. Look more at how Chicago won their cups, or LA, St.Louis…

Wings strength needs to come from defense. And if that becomes good enough - it makes it easier to swing trades if the center position is truly all that lackluster.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I think everyone understands the center position needs improvement.
Having said that I don't think it's as bleak as some make it out to be:

Larkin - 25 years old
Suter - 25 years old
Rasmussen - 22 years old
Veleno - 22 years old
Niederbach - 19 years old
Savage - 18 years old
Liam Dower Nilsson - 18 years old

Add a center 1st round in the coming draft and keep exploring trades.

Anyone who has in their head that the Wings are building a Pittsburgh/Edmonton style center lineup needs to get off that idea. Look more at how Chicago won their cups, or LA, St.Louis…

Wings strength needs to come from defense. And if that becomes good enough - it makes it easier to swing trades if the center position is truly all that lackluster.
Exactly. If none of the guys you listed develop into a legit 2C then one of our defensemen can be dealt for a Trochek level guy. Just because it's not being dealt with RIGHT NOW does not mean there isn't a plan to deal with it. Yzerman isn't stupid.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
What about Suter? He's young and under contract for one more year. I'm not sure Veleno/Rasmussen last longer than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad