Center Ice Discussion.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
My apologies for clogging up the forum with another thread, but I felt this needed it's own thread, so everyone interested in CI would see it, because it's pretty important, imo.

So, with the season starting and CI finally coming back, the pricing is still being figured, leaving us all wondering in the meantime. I know I buy CI so I can watch all the Pens games, then it's great to have when the Pens aren't in action, bc I also love watching teams around the league. However, if CI isn't cheap, I've been on the fence as to whether I'll purchase it, or not. Well, I just ran into some stats that I believe have swayed my decision into passing this season. Ready for it?

Pittsburgh is scheduled to have 4 games on NBC and 11 games on NBCSN. 15 games that will not be available through the CI package. So, there goes nearly 1/3rd of the season. If you're paying just to watch the Pens, you might want to rethink buying CI. What about the other 33 games though. I don't want to miss that action. Welp, remember that station called NHLN? Yea, the Pens are also scheduled to have 14 games televised by them. So, now, you're looking at 19 games on the Pens schedule that aren't scheduled for either NBC or NHLN.

If the NHL is asking me to pay over 100 dollars, I'll send them a video of me laughing. Seriously. At this point, the only way I'll be getting CI is if it's 39.99 or cheaper.

Here's links to NBC and NHLN schedules.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=650061&print=true
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...hl-tv-schedule-173825259--nhl.html#more-47979

Also, keep in mind the first week or two will probably be a free showcasing of CI.

wtbipyo

Jun 24, 2010
Right there with ya. I subscribe to Gamecenter though since Cable is pointless. In years past I've been annoyed by the NHL for blacking out ALL OF THESE GAMES. We pay for this and SOOOOO many get blacked out. On the fence too.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
ugh I hate the NHL Network.

Same. Instead of Pens related intermissions, it always goes to On the Fly. I also loath NBC, because that means it'll be 11 o'clock starts on Sundays and I always miss the first 10-30 minutes bc of stupid church programs running long.

Who wakes up on Sundays and says "Welp, time to go to church". Then walk into their living room to sit down and watch it on TV? Seriously? Anyone?

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
as a pens fan in nyc, ill basically be able to see 2/3 of the pens between nbc/nbcn/nhln/msg. was thinking about buying the package, but doesnt seem as necessary after looking at the schedule.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
question-- are the games NBC, NBCSN, and the NHL network available on game center? or are they blacked out just like they are on center ice?

I'm not sure, since I've never used it, but I would think the same rules apply. Check the T&C.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
29 games plus the first week or two of CI being free (likely)? This is spectacular news!

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
I'm ordering CI again tomorrow. I get it every year mainly for Pens games.

In Canada we don't get NBCSN, only NBC game of the week on Sunday so i need to get CI every year unless i wanna watch off a ****** stream, worth the money IMO.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Thanks for bring this up. I am certainly not up for paying $100 to see 16 or 17 games, that's a little ridiculous...and then I have to factor in the games I will miss because of conflict with other plans and the reality is I could be paying $100 (or whatever) to see maybe 12-14 games?

Also, I will be able to watch 14 games against the Devils/Rangers/Islanders anyhow since I live in that market. That's almost 1/3 of the season right there.

I am sure they will do a free preview for at least a week and maybe up to 2. I am not ordering until I am up against the wall. I'd hate to not order though and miss games.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
They were all blacked out last year. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

damn. thanks for info though, appreciate it.

not sure whether to get game center now.

i've watched a few games with online streams, and it was an ok experience. but has anyone relied exclusively on streams to watch basically every game?

the video quality isnt great, which i dont really mind, but are you reliably able to watch all the games?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yep, all blacked out.

I'm ecstatic to actually have NBCSN and NHL Network for the first time ever right now...but it's ****ing ******** to blackout games that aren't available to watch...such as the season opener will be for me (as much as I want to see the Kings raise the banner, scheduling any game simultaneous to Pens-Flyers to open the season, nevermind putting them on regional coverage, was a stupid decision by NBC).

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
i watched all the games via streams last season after finally giving up on hockeystreams.com after two years of poor quality and lackadaisical support. gamecenter is totally not worth it if you are a pens fan in new york. between the national tv games and isles/devils/rangers games, 60% of the season is blacked out.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
My apologies for clogging up the forum with another thread, but I felt this needed it's own thread, so everyone interested in CI would see it, because it's pretty important, imo.

So, with the season starting and CI finally coming back, the pricing is still being figured, leaving us all wondering in the meantime. I know I buy CI so I can watch all the Pens games, then it's great to have when the Pens aren't in action, bc I also love watching teams around the league. However, if CI isn't cheap, I've been on the fence as to whether I'll purchase it, or not. Well, I just ran into some stats that I believe have swayed my decision into passing this season. Ready for it?

Pittsburgh is scheduled to have 4 games on NBC and 11 games on NBCSN. 15 games that will not be available through the CI package. So, there goes nearly 1/3rd of the season. If you're paying just to watch the Pens, you might want to rethink buying CI. What about the other 33 games though. I don't want to miss that action. Welp, remember that station called NHLN? Yea, the Pens are also scheduled to have 14 games televised by them. So, now, you're looking at 19 games on the Pens schedule that aren't scheduled for either NBC or NHLN.

If the NHL is asking me to pay over 100 dollars, I'll send them a video of me laughing. Seriously. At this point, the only way I'll be getting CI is if it's 39.99 or cheaper.

Here's links to NBC and NHLN schedules.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=650061&print=true
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...hl-tv-schedule-173825259--nhl.html#more-47979

Also, keep in mind the first week or two will probably be a free showcasing of CI.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1322497

Look at my posts in this thread, #'s 2 and 4.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I apologize for asking this again but since I'm in Kitchener, Ontario so would I get the Pens and Flyers next saturday if I have Centre Ice?? Or would I get Kings and Blackhawks???

With Centre Ice I assume though that I'd get both games right???

As for the other 3 games on NBC and 11 games on NBCSN, would I hit blackouts for that here as well?? Whatabout those other 14 games on NHL Network US??? Or would I just get those on a random Centre Ice channel???

When I lived in Timmins and had CI through Bell, I had maybe a total of 3-4 games blacked out in the span of 5 years...only because I didn't have LeafsTV. So I'm not used to worrying about this blackout BS.

I want to call Rogers and order Centre Ice this week but since I'm worried about hitting a bunch of blackouts this season....now I don't know what to do.

:help:

Iggy Smalls

Jun 6, 2010
Pertaining mostly to GameCenter but CI as well:

Any game being played on NHLN or NBC/NBCSN is blacked-out, or is this only if you live in that area? IE: Since I live in DC the Caps game would be played on CSN rather than NBCSN? This seems like a simple concept but really confuses me. :laugh:

Last edited:

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I was told $120 something the day after lockout was lifted. I did not order it, i will...but i want to see if that number changes

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
When I go to Directv to check out the pricing it says this...

NHL is BACK! It will be available for sale starting on Sat., January 19.
Package details are being finalized so check back soon to order online.

I'm guessing on saturday, during the free preview, the pricing will be released.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Pertaining mostly to GameCenter but CI as well:

Any game being played on NHLN or NBC/NBCSN is blacked-out, or is this only if you live in that area? IE: Since I live in DC the Caps game would be played on CSN rather than NBCSN? This seems like a simple concept but really confuses me. :laugh:

I think you'll be blacked out as long as it is supposed to be on local, but don't quote me.

Personally I think there are so many rules sometimes you don't know til you kick the horse. For example I live 3+ hours away from Dallas. I get FOX Sports SW, but the Spurs have the local coverage first so if they're playing the same night as Dallas, Spurs > Stars. Apparently Center Ice and NHLN aren't exactly privy to this information though. I get all the Stars games on CI even though they say "blacked out", but if the Stars are on NHLN, no dice even if the Spurs are playing. Perfect sense...

As for CI, DirectTV on twitter is saying $60 (4 payments of $15), too bad I have Time Warner.

Finally I'm another one of those who will be getting LA on Saturday vs Penguins. I'm hoping NBC streams the Penguins game as they have in the past with regional coverage (which I despise), but I'm gonna guess the feeds may be a bit iffy.

member 51464

Get an HDMI out for your laptop to your TV.

thefirstrow.eu

Never miss a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad