Celtics/NBA Celtics trade Grant Williams for draft picks as part of three-team deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I was starting to think that I was the only one that noticed that. Still a dumb play by Horford to foul him but the refs definitely missed the double dribble call.

I missed the double dribble, too, and now I actually wonder if we're being too hard on Horford. It's possible he went to make that play specifically because he saw Butler put two hands on the ball.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I hated that last play, not sure if they designed a fall away contested 3 from Marcus Smart only needing a 2 pointer, if Miami covered it well and their main options well, or the most likely scenario which is Marcus played hero ball with the season on the line but hey it worked in the sense that both white and Tatum were flying to the basket to get a potential miss

Last edited:
Reactions: GabeTravels

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
I hated that last play, not sure if they designed a fall away contested 3 from Marcus Smart only needing a 2 pointer, if Miami covered it well and their main options well, or the most likely scenario which is Marcus played hero ball with the season on the line but hey it worked in the sense that both white and Tatum were flying to the basket to get a potential miss
White said the play was to get it to Tatum. And if he couldn't, then get it to Brown. Miami did a good job taking away both options.

Reactions: EverettMike

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim

Seems a little fakeish to me. The other guys are celebrating regardless and the ones with the smartphone never look at the display again for so many seconds to see what's going on?

No matter what, this was a trademark victory for the Celtics. I didn't expect exactly THAT, but I thought they were going to need at least one close nail-biting victory. Tough to win 4 blowouts in a row.

Can't wait for game 7. Would really love to see them challenging Denver, I think they match-up well, but that's what I thought last year as well, though. I am just not going to make any predictions again.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
The troublesome thing is that, as always, neither Tatum nor Brown wanted the shot. .... Neither of them cut hard towards the ball and I don't think there was much of a play there.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Miami had Butler and Strus denying the pass to Tatum and forcing him back to the middle of the court and Brown was calling for the ball but had Bam all over him. Smart was the one guy open and if you want a second chance if it misses he had to take it when he did, White tipping it in with .1 on the clock sort of proves that

L2M report says two incorrect calls, both in favor of Miami. Lane violation which is rarely ever called in games like that and Vincent should have been called for a shooting foul on Tatum with 33 seconds left

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Seems a little fakeish to me. The other guys are celebrating regardless and the ones with the smartphone never look at the display again for so many seconds to see what's going on?

No matter what, this was a trademark victory for the Celtics. I didn't expect exactly THAT, but I thought they were going to need at least one close nail-biting victory. Tough to win 4 blowouts in a row.

Can't wait for game 7. Would really love to see them challenging Denver, I think they match-up well, but that's what I thought last year as well, though. I am just not going to make any predictions again.

You underestimate the stupidity of; people; people at a wedding; people at a wedding that have been drinking ; people who hail from Florida who are at a wedding and have been drinking.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The NBA released its official " Last Two Minute Report " from last night's game and says that there was no double dribble from Jimmy Butler. :thumbd: However they do acknowledge that the refs missed 2 calls that went against the Celtics.

from espn.com:

The extensive Last Two Minute Report from the chaotic final moments of the Boston Celtics' heart-stopping 104-103 victory over the Miami Heat in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference finals Saturday night revealed two missed calls -- both of which went against Boston -- while saying there were no issues with the foul on Jimmy Butler with three seconds remaining.

The report, issued early Sunday evening, said officials missed two things among the 32 the league reviewed from the final 120 seconds of action: a lane violation by Heat forward Caleb Martin on a free throw Jaylen Brown missed with 1:01 remaining in the fourth quarter, and a foul on Jayson Tatum by Heat guard Gabe Vincent on a drive to the basket with 33.5 seconds left. That play eventually ended with Tatum being blocked by Bam Adebayo and Miami getting the ball back.

Ultimately, though, there were no issues with the foul call against Al Horford on Butler's 3-point attempt with three seconds remaining -- the play at the center of much of the discussion in the aftermath of Boston's win.

Originally, referee Josh Tiven called the foul on Horford with 2.1 seconds remaining and ruled it a two-shot foul. In that situation, the league automatically would have reviewed the play to see whether it was going to be a two- or three-shot foul.

But because Celtics coach Joe Mazzulla challenged the call, the NBA had the ability to look at the entire play, according to Monty McCutchen, the league's senior vice president, head of referee development and training. The league saw that one of Horford's arms came across Butler's arms and fouled him with three seconds to go, thus adding nine-tenths of a second to the clock.

The other debate about the Butler play was over whether he double dribbled after losing the ball. The report said he did not, explaining that Butler "fumbles the ball out of his control when he ends his dribble, then recovers it and legally attempts a field goal."

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Smart only got the ball because he set a terrible pick. If he does his job White hits JB heading to the paint with a ton of space.

mxcrossb

Mar 29, 2023
Osaka
All season long it’s “championship or bust”, but now we’re obsessing over whose feelings will be hurt more about the 3-0 business. This game 7 is just one step in the journey, you’ve got to win five more, not one.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
My heart says Celtics, but my head says Heat. It is all about who the league wants to match up with Denver. Denver winning their first title is the big storyline. The Heat do not pose much of a threat to that. On the other hand, the Celtics do. I think Denver matches up very well with the Celtics, but the Celtics still pose a threat of a title without much of a storyline.
I expect a very neutral homecourt game and Foster and Mark Davis. Go Celtics.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
My heart says Celtics, but my head says Heat. It is all about who the league wants to match up with Denver. Denver winning their first title is the big storyline. The Heat do not pose much of a threat to that. On the other hand, the Celtics do. I think Denver matches up very well with the Celtics, but the Celtics still pose a threat of a title without much of a storyline.
I expect a very neutral homecourt game and Foster and Mark Davis. Go Celtics.

This makes no sense. The league doesn't care who wins the Finals, just who gets the biggest ratings. That's the Cs, not Miami.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Here's the best angle of the play - definitely a double dribble. :nod:

I know the L2M said this wasn't a double dribble, but that's absolutely horseshit. He puts two hands on the ball to start his shotting motion with the step back, loses it without Horford touching it, recovers and dribbles again before the foul.

Absolutely ludicrous that the league claims this was a "bobble".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad