Celtics/NBA Celtics to suspend coach Ime Udoka for a year, will make Joe Mazzulla interim coach

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Anyway, all I can think is that the organization has a very explicit rule about this exact situation---a manager having a relationship with an employee---and that the rule was made absolutely clear when they hired Udoka.
I mean this part seems obvious that it's "company policy". All I am saying is that barring other details I personally have a hard time getting worked up over this if it was truly a consensual relationship and wasn't the result of harassment/intimidation etc.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm BEGGING some of you to critically think why this isn't equivalent to Phil Jackson sleeping with the owner's daughter. Take one moment to use your brain.

Go for it.

At the time they started their relationship, Jeanie Buss was the Executive VP of the Lakers and the team's alternate on the NBA Board of Governors and for good measure she was also the president of The Forum. She wasn't just the owner's daughter, she was a team executive.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I mean this part seems obvious that it's "company policy". All I am saying is that barring other details I personally have a hard time getting worked up over this if it was truly a consensual relationship and wasn't the result of harassment/intimidation etc.

I only in care as much as it was (or was not) stressed to him this was a complete no-no.

Every job comes with parameters we're told not to cross, and even if we don't agree with them we know what it means to ignore them.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Honestly, even with the power dynamics at play, unless there are some smoking gun texts/emails/eyewitness accounts where Ime preyed on this girl and promised her promotions if she did or threatened to have her fired if she didn't, this seems like a massive overreaction. Every report so far is saying it's all purely a consensual fling on both sides. Hot and/or rich people hook up, that's what they do. I'd be surprised if most of the NBA players didn't have side chicks and I'm sure many of them are team employees or cheerleaders. Unless it was demonstrable sexual harassment , it's firmly in the "it's bad but it's not that bad" territory.

Poor Nia Long though, having it so publicly dragged through the mud that her man was cheating.

it all depends on what, if any, conditions of employment policy is on place.
If so, consensual is moot.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm confused.

Assuming this is consensual, two adults, the issue is a violation of team rules? Or is it league rules? He is in the wrong. You don't do that to your family. Period. A year long suspension from your job seems harsh.

Perhaps there is more to it. Perhaps not. Either way it isn't my business. Whatever the consequences are for the guy, the Celtics just have to pivot and move forward

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I'm confused.

Assuming this is consensual, two adults, the issue is a violation of team rules? Or is it league rules? He is in the wrong. You don't do that to your family. Period. A year long suspension from your job seems harsh.

Perhaps there is more to it. Perhaps not. Either way it isn't my business. Whatever the consequences are for the guy, the Celtics just have to pivot and move forward

Chuck see my posts above.
Typically in most companies its a policy . Be it consensual or not based on some reasons Ive posted.

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
There are rules and standards in place in every organization, but in the real world they're selectively applied.

Rules are for normal employees. Truth is some people are just more important than others and should get more leeway. Fire the IT Manager if he's having an affair with one of his direct reports, sure. But in Ime's position if his offense isn't violent or criminal or causing significant ill repute on the brand, this just hurts the team on the court and that's a bottom line issue.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I only in care as much as it was (or was not) stressed to him this was a complete no-no.

Every job comes with parameters we're told not to cross, and even if we don't agree with them we know what it means to ignore them.

bingo.

if it is in fact a condition of employment formal policy that was breached, case closed.
done.

if no formal policy then horse of a different color.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
To me, like in many corporations nowadays, is there a formal Code of Conduct? That is mandatory to abide by as a condition of employment?

If so, then thems the breaks.

If not, then this is on a slippery slope.

My roles going back decades has had a policy governing such things. In near all it was incumbent upon the parties to let the company know if they were ‘involved with one another’. In most cases as as a preamble the companies acknowledge that consenua attraction happens. In most cases the remedy is that the parties involved reporting structure, department, site, or any combination would need to be changed. Very rarely , but possible, one must leave the company.
In all cases keeping it secret or denying it if confronted would be dealt with more harshly.

At least this is what Im accustomed to.
This is what I am accustomed to. I’ve had a husband and wife work for the company but have different last names that I’ve had to make sure they weren’t in the same group.

As someone who wouldn’t exist had workplace relationships been forbidden, i have no issue with work relationships as long as it doesn’t violate any policies and that the couple acts professionally in the office or when dealing with clients.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
There are rules and standards in place in every organization, but in the real world they're selectively applied.

Rules are for normal employees. Truth is some people are just more important than others and should get more leeway. Fire the IT Manager if he's having an affair with one of his direct reports, sure. But in Ime's position if his offense isn't violent or criminal or causing significant ill repute on the brand, this just hurts the team on the court and that's a bottom line issue.

whole heartedly disagree.

Ive seen in my own employ for decades. As a matter of fact the reason these policies came into effect years ago are for the very reasons you are saying arent applicable or ignored.

Case in point. a leading biotech company in Boston had both their CEO and Chief Science Officer find partners while employed. Arguably the two most important people in the company. Their significant others moved. One to a new company.The other to a different role and site. Both senior executives walked the walk to abide by policy.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Additionally, in Greater Boston, most corporations immediately put together policies and training to react to the Astra Pharmaceutical Westborough scandal.

Those initial policies remain the foundation of todays decades later.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Chuck see my posts above.
Typically in most companies its a policy . Be it consensual or not based on some reasons Ive posted.
Policy is policy and i understand that. Just seems like an overly aggressive punishment to me is all. But in actuality, I highly doubt things are as cut and dry as they are in my head right now

Regardless, it’s his mistake

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Additionally, in Greater Boston, most corporations immediately put together policies and training to react to the Astra Pharmaceutical Westborough scandal.

Those initial policies remain the foundation of todays decades later.
Oh. I see.

Yeah it makes more sense now.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Until we learn more specifics it's tough to judge if the Celts' reaction is reasonable or not.

But if they 1) made clear when hiring him this is absolutely unacceptable or 2) found out and were given guarantees the relationship was over, only to then learn they lied and it had continued, than Udoka doesn't have much of case.

(though we'll still have a great debate if they should have kept this all quiet no matter what)

Reactions: lopey and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Until we learn more specifics it's tough to judge if the Celts' reaction is reasonable or not.

But if they 1) made clear when hiring him this is absolutely unacceptable or 2) found out and were given guarantees the relationship was over, only to then learn they lied and it had continued, than Udoka doesn't have much of case.

(though we'll still have a great debate if they should have kept this all quiet no matter what)
They have to say something and it needs to come from ownership because the speculation as to who the woman is has gone too far and now you have beat reporters calling for people to stop.

It truly is disgusting how people's first reaction is to seek out the woman.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The power dynamics between a head coach and someone who works below you and is also on staff is a no no. They made these rules for a reason. He violated it. Consensual or not. You simply can NOT do this. It's his fault. And now he's suspended for a year. He's an absolute idiot.
another question is how long have the Celtics had a conduct code and why is this the 1st we've heard of said code... we know how Delaware North largely operates in cases like this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad