Proposal: Ceci-Stecher Swap

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
...and yet he has been this year, comparable with some of the best in the game.
He wasnt last year but this year he HAS those numbers.
I'm not saying it will continue or anything but it is what it is. Chances are he'll regress somewhat back to his old numbers right?

The big difference this year, however, is that he has a D partner that one at least can call competent to play with. His last 3 D partners in Ottawa? Weircoch, traded, played 60 games before being banished to the AHL for the full last year of his NHL contract. Phaneuf, traded, got in about 100 games then bought out, out of hockey. Harpur, traded and banished to the AHL, likely seen his last NHL game.

His numbers before were really not good, but when you account he was given near legendary workload/deployment and that his D partners were all quickly on their way out of the league due to horrific play, you can safely assume his numbers on his Toronto time will never slide into that territory.

Besides, if he playing no better than AHL fodder and producing these kind of numbers, just imagine the numbers if he starts to play well. Will put Lidstrom to shame ;)

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
After 6 pages, this is my summary

Ottawa/Vancouver fans: Ceci is trash!

Toronto fans: His advanced stats are better then Zaitsevs! So how about Stecher for Ceci?

O/V fans: ....no, also his advanced stats are better, with Jordie Benn as his partner, not Rielly.

Some T fans: We don't want Stecher anyways, Cecis a top D man in the league!

I mean, I feel like this is a parody of a trade I never saw proposed here. I don't get any of this.

Reactions: NyQuil and Qward

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
@Zybalto , a combination of teammate quality and the problem his splits indicate about his performance against top lines. He's got good aggregate numbers but tends to lose time against the best. Given our other personnel we should be winning that time with a true top pair guy in that spot

I think you do him a bit of disservice here though.

While it's true his numbers drop when playing the elite of the elite, this is true of every dman and his numbers are still near the top of the league in this regard.

It's why he has great overall numbers + being able to maintain a near league best TOI% QoC.

I think he would get far more credit if the team was winning as expected. Barrie being a tire fire and Rielly struggling defensively has created a ton of problems on D and many are transferring their frustration to Ceci IMO. If hes doing a much better job than expected, we should be praising him, right?

Hey, I just want the team to win and hes helping us win. If he was bad, I would say so.

If you have any data that shows I'm wrong about him, I'd honestly love to see it.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
How many goals has Zaitsev scored on his own net this year?
How many goals have we directly blamed him for this year?
How many threads have been created this week where Sens fans propose unloading Zaitsev onto another team?
The answer to all three is zero.

Now answer the same questions for Ceci?

i thought Zaitsez was the leafs 2nd best defender ...Ceci has been a pleasant surprise this year, but he should be on the 2nd pair, not top, but, Barrie is a nightmare on the Leafs.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If you put Stetcher in Ceci's role im pretty sure he would do a far worse job going against top players and eating up minutes on the pk. Its not hard to look good when your earthy much sheltered on a 3rd pairing. Id rather have Justin Holl than Stetcher, the guy isn't good at anything and would make the Leafs defence worse.
I don't think you've seen Stetcher play very much. He actually has been nearly a 20min/gm player for the Canucks over the past 3 seasons. He has handled those minutes quite well. This season he has been caught in a numbers game with healthy (so far) Tanev and our new toy Myers. I have watched a lot of hockey over the decades and to prefer Holl to Stetcher comes off like someone who either hasn't watched Stetcher much or a person who hasn't watched Stetcher at all.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I can't wait until Ceci gets turfed by Toronto and their fans can start being honest about him again.

I'm as surprised as you are, but he's actually been *looks to make sure Manny isn't looking* decent results-wise so far?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him suck the rest of the year, or even suck next year, but I'm just happy to be rid of Z as he's equally bad or worse for four extra years.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Misusing advanced stats from his time in Ottawa is a big reason why Cody Ceci is viewed as a negative in the first place.

Wait...so advanced stats can be....subjective?!?!

I thought they were absolute! Like points, or plus/minus!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad