Proposal: Ceci-Stecher Swap

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
The trade has nothing to do with this.

It has to do with the fact that no Leaf fan is going to be honest about the play of Cody Ceci on the main boards until he's no longer a Leaf.

I'll wait to see what opinions are when that happens.
How has the trade nothing to do with this? We literally only traded Zaitsev for his shitty contract.. Ceci is playing way better than him so far..

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
Cecis stats are a complete turnaround this year from Ottawa.

Best on the Leafs D, outperforming Rielly in most areas..

I'm guessing you are looking at 3 year tracking or strictly last Ottawa era stats?

Yeah I was referencing when the trade happened.
So if they have improved this year that's good.

But at the time of the trade they were only marginally better.
Which I guess could be an argument against adv. stats as the team he was on was atrocious.

I'm fine keeping Ceci if that's the case, it was more of a rebuttal against zaitsev, who is and was terrible.
We also don't have picks to be flying out there on backup goalies, the 20 games they're going to play this year doesn't justify giving up Bracco or a 2nd. Not imo anyway.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Guess you guys better re-sign this dynamo and let him carry you through the playoffs.

Can't let anyone else get their hands on this valuable asset.

I wouldnt say I would want to have him driving play, more just continue what hes doing as a stable solid number 1 RHD.

I'd like him to get a few more points like he did for you guys but he seems to have really settled in well defensively, not taking too many risks but still making amazing transitions with good D. If he keeps up this level of play, I'm for sure down to resign him.

Hope your happy with Zaitsev and thanks for the support.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I wouldnt say I would want to have him driving play, more just continue what hes doing as a stable solid number 1 RHD.

I'd like him to get a few more points like he did for you guys but he seems to have really settled in well defensively, not taking too many risks but still making amazing transitions with good D. If he keeps up this level of play, I'm for sure down to resign him.

Hope your happy with Zaitsev and thanks for the support.

*Passes to a one-timer goal from Pacioretty in the slot*

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Why are Ottawa fans derailing this thread?

Ceci has been fine, not great not bad. Better for us than Zaitsev was last year and clearing that term off the books makes this a win no matter what Zaitsev does in Ottawa while theyre in the basement.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
who's Ceci playing with....... ?
Who's Zait playing with....... ?

Of course Ceci Stats is barely better, he is playing shelter minutes with ****ing Morgan Rielly.

The amount of Bull**** in certain posts, **** sake.

How does someone play sheltered minuted with Morgan Rielly, literally the guy out there for most of the game and the tough spots?

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
*Passes to a one-timer goal from Pacioretty in the slot*

Yea, he flubbed that bouncing puck and it went to Patches. Must mean he's been awful right?

For all NHL Dmen with more than 300 minutes (58 total Dmen):

Cody Ceci:

Fewest goals against/60 REL rank: 6th

xGF% REL rank:
1. Ekblad
2. Theodore
3. McAvoy
4. Ceci
5. Slavin

QoC ranking: Top 5 least sheltered dman in terms of Quality of competition.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Yeah I was referencing when the trade happened.
So if they have improved this year that's good.

But at the time of the trade they were only marginally better.
Which I guess could be an argument against adv. stats as the team he was on was atrocious.

I'm fine keeping Ceci if that's the case, it was more of a rebuttal against zaitsev, who is and was terrible.
We also don't have picks to be flying out there on backup goalies, the 20 games they're going to play this year doesn't justify giving up Bracco or a 2nd. Not imo anyway.

Ceci last year with Ottawa (5v5 adjusted):

CF% 43.11 (-2.00 REL)
SCF% 44.77 (-1.96 REL)
HDCF% 45.96 (-2.25 REL)
xGF% 44.83 (-2.37 REL)
GF% 41.69 (-2.46 REL)

Ceci this year so far with Toronto (5v5 adjusted):

CF% 51.22 (-1.21)
SCF% 52.22 (+2.07 REL)
HDCF% 55.31 (+14.99 REL)
xGF% 52.61 (+6.95 REL)
GF% 52.80 (+7.38 REL)

He's facing far harder QoC with Toronto as well.

Not too shaby......

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Ceci is a real good #1 defensive RHD =a pretty low bar.:laugh:
We/I said hes a #1 D? Do you not know the difference between being paired in the top 4 and being the best or second best dman on the team? Muzzin, Rielly, Dermott and Barrie are all better. Possibly Holl as well. Hes the #5 at best but given the lines, hes paired with Rielly, a partner who can carry an inferior partner. Are you serious with your post because I find it hard to believe anyone would assume I meant that hes some defensive stalwart. But hey, take it out of context. I'm sure you're looking for internet points after telling everyone Caulfield is the best thing since sliced bread.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lets ignore the fact that Ceci is on a team that was suppose to be a contender for the cup and Ottawa is a team that is a contender for first overall.
IF Ceci was better than Zaitsev, considering the talent he is playing with he should be destroying Zaitsev in nerd numbers. He isnt.

but isn’t he?

Last I looked zaitsev was actually touching the bottom of the screen in “nerd numbers”.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Ceci or Z?? Hmmm, neither is that good. Maybe the issue is the coach putting Ceci as a first pairing defenseman

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Ceci is a real good #1 defensive RHD =a pretty low bar.:laugh:

...and yet he has been this year, comparable with some of the best in the game.

He wasnt last year but this year he HAS those numbers.

I'm not saying it will continue or anything but it is what it is. Chances are he'll regress somewhat back to his old numbers right?

Why is this so collectively hard for so many to understand?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Who's sticking up for him? All we're saying is Ceci is better than Zaitsev by a smidge. That's a pretty low bar.

Realistically, you're probably right and this sample by Ceci is an outlier.

...but it doesnt change the fact he's at the top of the league in the stats we use to judge a players effectiveness to their team this year.

Defensive defenders effectiveness is one of the hardest things to track in hockey though as they are out there against the best guys all the time and their main highlights are usually them getting scored on.

Why is a guy like Josh Manson valuable? He appears to have awful stats but is considered a steal of a player and half the Leafs board wants him, right?

It's because he good at shutting other teams stars down.....and the data says Ceci has been one of the better in the league at that this year at that. Maybe quality of teammate comes into play here a bit but REL numbers fix a lot of that and hes just been plain good at it.

I dont mind ripping on Leafs players when they are bad (looking at you Barrie) but saying Ceci has been bad this year when he has been not just good but really good is more than bizarre.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Ceci last year with Ottawa (5v5 adjusted):

CF% 43.11 (-2.00 REL)
SCF% 44.77 (-1.96 REL)
HDCF% 45.96 (-2.25 REL)
xGF% 44.83 (-2.37 REL)
GF% 41.69 (-2.46 REL)

Ceci this year so far with Toronto (5v5 adjusted):

CF% 51.22 (-1.21)
SCF% 52.22 (+2.07 REL)
HDCF% 55.31 (+14.99 REL)
xGF% 52.61 (+6.95 REL)
GF% 52.80 (+7.38 REL)

He's facing far harder QoC with Toronto as well.

Not too shaby......

Looks like mumble jumble to me. The only thing I notice is Ceci has positive value in 4 out 5 categories with the Leafs

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is this 1 on 1 or are there other players on the ice? What's the caliber of those other players?

Look neither are gems but .. this is the kind of thing Ceci can do for you
One of my personal favorites

Gotta stay off the hallucinogenics

So when your D partner is over at the face off dot... you don't have to be over on that side of the ice as well.
5ZYZMFR.png

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
...and yet he has been this year, comparable with some of the best in the game.

He wasnt last year but this year he HAS those numbers.

I'm not saying it will continue or anything but it is what it is. Chances are he'll regress somewhat back to his old numbers right?

Why is this so collectively hard for so many to understand?

Minds have been made up. Most people aren't actually capable of evaluating defensive play beyond noting major mistakes. He's been doing an okay job in a very hard role. If we could get him back for two years at the same money we should. Not a great fit for Rielly but a solid top 4 RHD option

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Looks like mumble jumble to me. The only thing I notice is Ceci has positive value in 4 out 5 categories with the Leafs

Combined with his usage, those categories scream hes been a great dman this year. It's not just the positives it's also how much more positive they are.

Stats can be cold hard reality sometimes. People tend to be far more flawed, both in what they see (as they look to confirm their biases) and also in that it's very hard for most people to admit when they are wrong.

I'm not even saying this is who he is going forward. I'm just saying hes been great so far this year and all the proof is in my corner.

Ripping on a player when hes doing well is a strange thing to do no?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Minds have been made up. Most people aren't actually capable of evaluating defensive play beyond noting major mistakes. He's been doing an okay job in a very hard role. If we could get him back for two years at the same money we should. Not a great fit for Rielly but a solid top 4 RHD option

Oh I agree minds have been made up and maybe theres a quality of teammate and luck factor involved im not seeing somehow but his numbers this year are the numbers of not just a solid top 4 but a solid 1st pairing D.

Maybe it's a bit of a Larry Murphy effect with that Patches goal against Vegas and hell be judged on that even if hes Bobby Orr for the next 10 games?

I dunno.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
@Zybalto , a combination of teammate quality and the problem his splits indicate about his performance against top lines. He's got good aggregate numbers but tends to lose time against the best. Given our other personnel we should be winning that time with a true top pair guy in that spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad