Post-Game Talk: CDSF Game 3 | Predators @ Blackhawks | 2:00pm CST | NBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Josi looked exhausted (28:32?) and quite a few of our d-men a bit guilty of trying to do too much in Weber's absence. Chicago also did a solid job of beating us on the board battles and mitigating any ability to cycle and move in the offensive zone.

That said, incredibly discouraging to feel like your only shot to win rests on a player that you have zero confidence in.

Yeah Coach Q did a good job of making adjustments to how we beat them in the last game. We did nothing to counter it. Granted I didn't see the hustle we've seen in the first two either.

Frankly it was just a poorly played game all around. Every unit from the Forwards, Defensemen, Goalie, and Coaching staff did a very poor job.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I say we take the Tuesday game...we needed to get the feel of a complete game without Weber under our belts, learn where we really need to shore up the gaps, and then press on.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Yeah Coach Q did a good job of making adjustments to how we beat them in the last game. We did nothing to counter it. Granted I didn't see the hustle we've seen in the first two either.

Frankly it was just a poorly played game all around. Every unit from the Forwards, Defensemen, Goalie, and Coaching staff did a very poor job.
I don't have much confidence in this either. This staff didn't do a great job of making adjustments down the stretch, when teams started playing us differently, and we've been a step behind through most of the series in that regard so far as well (period 2 of game 1 and today). Which is a damn shame considering we have been as good or better than them for the majority of the series.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't have much confidence in this either. This staff didn't do a great job of making adjustments down the stretch, when teams started playing us differently, and we've been a step behind through most of the series in that regard so far as well (period 2 of game 1 and today). Which is a damn shame considering we have been as good or better than them for the majority of the series.

Today wasn't just the second though. It was obvious from the start that the goal was to clog the middle, limit point shots and get the puck out quick. Nothing was getting through and its the reason Darling only have up two. He didn't stand on his head, he didn't need too.

Sadly Lavi nor the other coaches seemed to do anything to try and alter that. Granted if your fowards are getting owned on the boards and play like its an exhibition game motivation wise getting the puck down low to open things up isn't going to happen.

The team as a whole had zero pop out there, unlike the first two.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Today wasn't just the second though. It was obvious from the start that the goal was to clog the middle, limit point shots and get the puck out quick. Nothing was getting through and its the reason Darling only have up two. He didn't stand on his head, he didn't need too.

Sadly Lavi nor the other coaches seemed to do anything to try and alter that. Granted if your fowards are getting owned on the boards and play like its an exhibition game motivation wise getting the puck down low to open things up isn't going to happen.

The team as a whole had zero pop out there, unlike the first two.

We were ok through the first though. They started to heavily forecheck from the second period on, and we had nothing to counter it with. Spent too much time trying to retrieve and get the puck out and had less energy to push when we did go on offense. Teams started doing this to us consistently, since when we can easily and quickly clear the zone, we are incredibly dangerous. Lavy has found no real solution to the heavy forecheck. Part of it may be a personnel issue, but we just can't be spending that much time in our zone and expect to have any real chance to create offensive chances.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We were ok through the first though. They started to heavily forecheck from the second period on, and we had nothing to counter it with. Spent too much time trying to retrieve and get the puck out and had less energy to push when we did go on offense. Teams started doing this to us consistently, since when we can easily and quickly clear the zone, we are incredibly dangerous. Lavy has found no real solution to the heavy forecheck. Part of it may be a personnel issue, but we just can't be spending that much time in our zone and expect to have any real chance to create offensive chances.

Part of the problem today though was that we created our own problems. I can't count how many times I saw guys just watching the puck instead of clearing it. That doesn't even include the seriously weak clearing attempts. When teams are playing you tight you have to get the puck out, and make the most of opportunities when you get them. If they are pushing you and you make it worse by not getting pucks out when you have the chance, you certainly aren't going to have opportunities.

Part of the problem for me is that some games you have to take a step back to take two steps forward. Whether its the forwards or the defensemen, they often try to do too much or be too fancy, rather than just making the smart play.

AEM6729

Mar 1, 2010
Nashville
Our best players have to be our best players, and right now they aren't. Rinne has let in a few weak ones, and Josi has been out for all three GA.

This.

Yes and no. Pekka didn't play great, but Josi in particular played pretty poorly in front of him. He wasn't standing anyone up, just kept backing up and gave guys free reign to shoot. Yeah most of them should of been stopped, but they shouldn't of been uncontested shots by our defense either.

I found it interesting that the Hawks are intentionally shooting away from his glove side, just to keep him from being able to catch the puck and slow things down when we need it. That was a big part of our success early on, we didn't get in too much trouble because he would just reset things. That isn't happening right now.

Also the guys were horrid at clearing the puck today, I've haven't seen that many piss poor clearing attempts in a playoffs game in a long time.

You're right, but at least two of Rinne's goals against were unscreened shots. He simply can't give those up if we want to win. And this isn't a just-this-game thing either....this has been a trend since his injury.

I've never played hockey, but it seemed to me that we kept trying to take the puck deep, set up to cycle and generate chances off point shots, and none of them were getting through during the few times we could actually set up long enough to generate one. In those situations shouldn't we just take shots off the rush, crash the net and see what happens?

Also, WTF is with our power play? It's so stationary. Gonna have to fix it if we want to get beyond this round.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
This.

You're right, but at least two of Rinne's goals against were unscreened shots. He simply can't give those up if we want to win. And this isn't a just-this-game thing either....this has been a trend since his injury.

I've never played hockey, but it seemed to me that we kept trying to take the puck deep, set up to cycle and generate chances off point shots, and none of them were getting through during the few times we could actually set up long enough to generate one. In those situations shouldn't we just take shots off the rush, crash the net and see what happens?

Also, WTF is with our power play? It's so stationary. Gonna have to fix it if we want to get beyond this round.

Yeah it was a little odd, we just kept trying to pound a square peg into a round hole. We didn't really drive in off the boards, or out of the corners, although frankly our forwards didn't look like they gave a **** enough to want to put forth the effort to do so.

This is where I blame the coaching staff. It became apparent what we wanted to do and Chicago shut that down, and then we never tried to really change anything to adjust for that. We just kept shooting shot from the boards or the point through a pile of sticks and bodies that were doing a good job of breaking them up.

Wilson has scored most of his goals driving to the net either on a rush or out of the corner, he did none of that today. Forsberg did absolutely nothing, except for the one goal he screened on. Neal needs to be out front shooting the puck and he was everywhere but there today. Smith with his usual try hard but throwing it right at the pads or chest instead of elevating it ( talking about attempts other than the deflection). Rest of the guys did what they normally do, try hard and have some chances but do nothing with it or bank it off the post.

Oh and frankly having Gaustad on the PP is simply the dumbest **** I've ever seen or heard of. Frankly I'm hoping someone else gets a shot next game, the third looked like they have most of the season.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
To echo others, Rinne has to shine for this team to do well. That didn't happen and it was the difference... everything else was pretty much par for the course. Maybe next game he gets it done.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Pekka needs to make two stops today and he didn't, plain and simple. If Hutton gives those up we're screaming he sucks, he's not an NHL goalie. Well Pekka isn't looking like a world beater anymore. He's not even looking average right now. He's fighting the puck. His glove hand is shaky at best. Love the guy but he is not getting it done. How long do we go with him in net?

I didn't think we played that poorly today. Thought it was an even game until we gave up the fourth goal and when it was soft, it seemed to take the wind out of our sails. It's a shame because it could've gone either way up until that point. You play a good puck possession team and try to push your game, a team like Chicago will kill you. They can hold on to the puck better in that type of game and they did just that. We should've stuck to what we were doing, played disciplined, started hitting again and I think we have a different outcome. Instead we pressed when we had plenty of time. You have to do what got you there and we didn't execute and our goalie failed, pretty simple.

Do we go with Rinne in game four or do we go with Hutton? Do we let Rinne go and if he gives up a softie pull him and go with Hutton? Do we just stick with Rinne no matter what?

AEM6729

Mar 1, 2010
Nashville
Do we go with Rinne in game four or do we go with Hutton? Do we let Rinne go and if he gives up a softie pull him and go with Hutton? Do we just stick with Rinne no matter what?

I'd like us to do the second thing, but we will probably do the third thing.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
You beat the hawks by playing a physical game.
None of that today oh....and,rinne plugin his franking five hole.

No, no you don't. We thrive on the physical teams, especially in the playoffs. If not for Q playing Handzus last year, the Hawks are likely the 2-time defending Cup champs (he was responsible for 4 GA against in game 2 and 3 of that series and was by far the worst player who played significant minutes in the playoffs last year).

You actually beat the Hawks with SPEED and by putting the pressure on in your offensive zone with your highly skilled defensemen. Over the past several regular seasons and POs, the Hawks have typcially struggled the most when teams much up with our speed. Edmonton (until this year), Colorado, and Minny in last year's POs (they played fast and aggressive against us) have given us a lot of fits. This year that problem is compounded by the fact that we have several slower players playing significant minutes (Kimmo, Roszival, Seabrook, Richards, Bickell) than we've had in the past. We are prone to make a LOT of unforced mistakes when teams hound us and look to get us in transition. Our lack of perimeter defensive coverage in our own zone is also exploited when team's defensemen move with the puck within their offensive zone and look to create opportunities. We saw it Friday night, and it happened against LA in the playoffs (LAs dmen feasted on our passivity) last season.

Due to gross negligence of our management (signing Bickell instead of locking Leddy up 2 years ago) and the poor roster management by our coach (Roszy shouldn't be playing although he had an uncharacteristically good game), this year's team has a LOT more holes than it did last year. If the Preds play smart hockey by minimizing TOs, and playing with their sticks and speed instead of trying to pummel us, you should have some great opportunities on the offensive end. I'd also look to bait Shaw as he is prone to having games with 1-2 stupid penalties.

I'm still expecting this series to go at least 6, if not 7 if you guys get healthy. Exploit our perimeter passivity, poor in-zone defensive responsibility, and above all else play as fast as you can. If you do the latter the mistakes will come, and an onslaught like we saw in game 2 could easily occur.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Neal has actually been good, he's just snakebit. The amount of turnovers he's forced in the offensive zone in the past three games is actually insane especially considering we managed to capitalize on none of them.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Pekka needs to make two stops today and he didn't, plain and simple. If Hutton gives those up we're screaming he sucks, he's not an NHL goalie. Well Pekka isn't looking like a world beater anymore. He's not even looking average right now. He's fighting the puck. His glove hand is shaky at best. Love the guy but he is not getting it done. How long do we go with him in net?

I didn't think we played that poorly today. Thought it was an even game until we gave up the fourth goal and when it was soft, it seemed to take the wind out of our sails. It's a shame because it could've gone either way up until that point. You play a good puck possession team and try to push your game, a team like Chicago will kill you. They can hold on to the puck better in that type of game and they did just that. We should've stuck to what we were doing, played disciplined, started hitting again and I think we have a different outcome. Instead we pressed when we had plenty of time. You have to do what got you there and we didn't execute and our goalie failed, pretty simple.

Part of that is because they are specifically shooting away from it.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
No, no you don't. We thrive on the physical teams, especially in the playoffs. If not for Q playing Handzus last year, the Hawks are likely the 2-time defending Cup champs (he was responsible for 4 GA against in game 2 and 3 of that series and was by far the worst player who played significant minutes in the playoffs last year).

You actually beat the Hawks with SPEED and by putting the pressure on in your offensive zone with your highly skilled defensemen. Over the past several regular seasons and POs, the Hawks have typcially struggled the most when teams much up with our speed. Edmonton (until this year), Colorado, and Minny in last year's POs (they played fast and aggressive against us) have given us a lot of fits. This year that problem is compounded by the fact that we have several slower players playing significant minutes (Kimmo, Roszival, Seabrook, Richards, Bickell) than we've had in the past. We are prone to make a LOT of unforced mistakes when teams hound us and look to get us in transition. Our lack of perimeter defensive coverage in our own zone is also exploited when team's defensemen move with the puck within their offensive zone and look to create opportunities. We saw it Friday night, and it happened against LA in the playoffs (LAs dmen feasted on our passivity) last season.

Due to gross negligence of our management (signing Bickell instead of locking Leddy up 2 years ago) and the poor roster management by our coach (Roszy shouldn't be playing although he had an uncharacteristically good game), this year's team has a LOT more holes than it did last year. If the Preds play smart hockey by minimizing TOs, and playing with their sticks and speed instead of trying to pummel us, you should have some great opportunities on the offensive end. I'd also look to bait Shaw as he is prone to having games with 1-2 stupid penalties.

I'm still expecting this series to go at least 6, if not 7 if you guys get healthy. Exploit our perimeter passivity, poor in-zone defensive responsibility, and above all else play as fast as you can. If you do the latter the mistakes will come, and an onslaught like we saw in game 2 could easily occur.

Your use of the word "we" is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce