Post-Game Talk: CDSF Game 2: Avalanche vs. Wild, 19 Apr, 7:30PM MT, 9:30PM ET

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
That Landy-Staz-MacK line is money.

I hope Minnesota was happy with the refereeing in this game.

There are still some complaining fans. This is all from the same guy in the comments on nhl.com:

About Suter's Penalty:

"Typical stupid Avs fan. Yeah the refs were really out to help the Wild, which is why Suter got called on a make up penalty right at the end there"

"He never crosschecked him, he reached out and pushed him with one hand. His stick didn't hit him. I'm pretty sure that is why the refs allowed Suter to open the box door and talk to them because he wanted to know what happened."

And my personal favourite:

"The refs wanted MacKinnon to get another point, and if Parenteau had scored the Wild would have replaced the goalie."

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
There are still some complaining fans. This is all from the same guy in the comments on nhl.com:

About Suter's Penalty:

"Typical stupid Avs fan. Yeah the refs were really out to help the Wild, which is why Suter got called on a make up penalty right at the end there"

"He never crosschecked him, he reached out and pushed him with one hand. His stick didn't hit him. I'm pretty sure that is why the refs allowed Suter to open the box door and talk to them because he wanted to know what happened."

"The refs wanted MacKinnon to get another point, and if Parenteau had scored the Wild would have replaced the goalie."

This fella is pure gold :laugh:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Not a fan of reading this

Chad Graff ‏@ChadGraff · 46m
Matt Cooke (team-high 12 hits this series) may be tasked with slowing MacKinnon.
Cooke: "If that's the way that coach goes, I'll be ready."

Cooke is the type of player to go out and potentially do something damaging...

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

About Suter's Penalty:

This fella is pure gold :laugh:

Yeah, the amount of butt-hurt coming out of that guy is ridiculous.

However, I must contend. We must heed Roy's words from earlier in the season and "Stay 'umble". We have a 2-0 lead right now, but the series isn't over. It would be REALLY nice for them to go into Minnesota tomorrow night and get that first game at Minnesota. Really take it to them and continue playing their game.

Only news on goaltenders right now is it's rumored that Kuemper will take over, but nothing is confirmed right now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think AVS (especially in game like that) shows how bad those advanced stats are. Matt Moulson who was almost invisible all night has CF% rel of 26.4%. Paul Stastny with 4 points has -9.1%. MacKinnon absolutely best player on the ice was 6.5%. I don't like those advanced stats and I don't know why some experts are taking them so damn serious that for them AVS may not be for real because they have bad Corsi. I'd rather have Staz with 4 points and -9.1% CF% rel than Moulson who has great Corsi but 0 points.

Here is link to those stats.

http://www.extraskater.com/game/2014-04-19-wild-avalanche

I hate Corsi relative, it's so misleading like you say. I know it's a way to compare teammates but I'm not blind and I prefer to look at the raw Corsi for/against if I want to compare teammates. It makes sense that Stastny's line didn't dominate Corsi because they were playing Minnesota's top line. I wouldn't expect anyone's top line to get shut out entirely. It's interesting to me to see who has the best Corsi game each time. Game 1 it was actually MacKinnon and Guenin (!), this time O'Reilly and McGinn. So It does seem like our second line, is getting an advantage.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Not worried about it. Cooke hasn't done anything stupid in a while. Also, stick Mac with OReilly and let them decide who to stop: Mac, Oreilly, and McGinn or Stastny and Landeskog.

He hasn't sent anyone into an early retirement in a while. He does stupid things on a nightly basis. The Avs players and you might not be worried but Cooke plays with absolutely no regard for any other player on the ice. He has no moral, no code.

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
Cooke is a non factor. Unless Koivu and Parise play better, this will be a short series for the wild.

I get the impression yeo is dwelling way too much on the matchups, which will favour Roy because the avs will be able to dictate how often Minnesota's top players play.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Not worried about it. Cooke hasn't done anything stupid in a while. Also, stick Mac with OReilly and let them decide who to stop: Mac, Oreilly, and McGinn or Stastny and Landeskog.

Great idea. Lando and Stastny are dangerous together even without Mack. Put Mack on a different line and let them focus on him, leave the big line to still be dangerous.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Put MacK win Bordy and Carey.

Could be some head games being played by Yeo (or attempted head games).

He must know that everyone in the league realizes that Cooke has a certain reputation and by letting it leak that he may be tasked with "controlling MacKinnon" he might be hoping that Roy changes things up, thinks of breaking up the Lando-Stastny-MacKinnon line.

I know throughout the year Roy seemed to really rein in Bordeleau and McLeod (and in the end Malone), but I hope that if Cooke tries or does something stupid that he allows McLeod or Malone or even Bordeleau to step in and stick up for their teammate.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Could be some head games being played by Yeo (or attempted head games).

He must know that everyone in the league realizes that Cooke has a certain reputation and by letting it leak that he may be tasked with "controlling MacKinnon" he might be hoping that Roy changes things up, thinks of breaking up the Lando-Stastny-MacKinnon line.

I know throughout the year Roy seemed to really rein in Bordeleau and McLeod (and in the end Malone), but I hope that if Cooke tries or does something stupid that he allows McLeod or Malone or even Bordeleau to step in and stick up for their teammate.

It's absolutely this. Standard tactics aren't going to slow down MacKinnon. He'll just make the quick pass to his linemates, or just battle through it.

Their only hope is to get him distracted, and frustrated by sicking their troll on him. Hope Nate doesn't get caught up in the after the whistle stuff and keeps his feet moving on the ice. He'll embarrass Cooke by just making him look silly if he focuses on hockey, and just playing between the whistles.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm personally not worried about Mackinnon vs. Cooke. The kid is built like a tank, I don't think anything happens to him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm personally not worried about Mackinnon vs. Cooke. The kid is built like a tank, I don't think anything happens to him.

I'm not worried about hockey plays, it's the dirty stuff Cooke does that you have to be concerned about.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'm not worried about hockey plays, it's the dirty stuff Cooke does that you have to be concerned about.

All it takes is him pulling a Backes. MacKinnon reverse hits him, Cooke slew foots him, jumps on top of him and pounds away. I hope Roy likes enough of his Black Aces that he wouldn't mind losing Bords or McLeod in the event they need to send Cooke a message.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
We should launch a preemptive strike against Cooke. Bring out Bordeleau. Cmon Roy you know what to do.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Can't believe I never saw this :laugh:

10269567_10152601255622345_3640144367156424701_n.jpg

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Cooke is gonna cheap shot mackinnon at least some point next game for sure, just hope mackinnon doesn't get injured by it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad