Post-Game Talk: CDSF Game 2: Avalanche vs. Wild, 19 Apr, 7:30PM MT, 9:30PM ET

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The best part is that they have to play Parise and Koivu against Stastny's line because that their best line defensively and they are getting killed in that match-up thus far. They'll most likely try to match Suter's pairing (I expect Brodin will play with him) against that line too, which in turn should open up things for the O'Reilly line.

It was amazing to see how much they respect Nate's speed, once the Avs managed to break through the neutral zone it was full scramble mode for their defensemen, if the Avs continue to pass the puck well during break-outs the Wild won't be able to stop them.

You make a great point about Brodin, but I don't think Yeo is that smart. It isn't Suter getting burned on that pairing, it is Spurgeon constantly. And Brodin is holding his own well enough on the 2nd pairing. If they fix the top pairing and play Suter-Brodin 30 minutes against MacK it could do wonders for them with Kuemper in net.

Again though, I don't give Yeo that much credit. He complained about matchups when he had his best defensive unit (forwards and defense) against our best group. The only problem is that Stastny/Landy/EJ not only shutdown Koivu's line, they killed them offensively.

Also, while I agree about the breakout, I actually think they were playing MacK pretty well. Spurgeon was the weak link a couple times, but they are containing the neutral zone most shifts. The problem was they couldn't stop him everytime and when he broke through they went full scramble mode and failed to regroup themselves defensively.

It's like they weren't ready for their trap to fail and didn't know what to do in that 15 seconds immediately after we broke through the neutral zone.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
yeo might have meant that he didn't get his top 6 guys often enough to kill avs bottom 6 guys, that roy was able to protect them.

and stastny line was pretty much split in ice time against koivu and granlund line. koivu played little under 5 mins against the ROR line and around 6 mins against the stastny line..

yeo used his top 6 almost exclusively in offensive situations. and opposite for bottom 6. not sure if he will change that or not.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
yeo might have meant that he didn't get his top 6 guys often enough to kill avs bottom 6 guys, that roy was able to protect them.

and stastny line was pretty much split in ice time against koivu and granlund line. koivu played little under 5 mins against the ROR line and around 6 mins against the stastny line..

yeo used his top 6 almost exclusively in offensive situations. and opposite for bottom 6. not sure if he will change that or not.

Around game 1 it was said he was looking to line match Koivu and Stastny's lines all game long because he thought Koivu could come out on top defensively. Not saying that will remain the case, but he's clearly getting more than he can handle as a coach.

Yeo has been the Wild's biggest problem for a couple seasons now, he's just a better Joe Sacco for them. Holding them back from succeeding. We should be happy as division rivals, but there's always the chance they get a worse coach so I can understand the reluctance to can him.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
stasnty line didn't get many chances against them but did burn them pretty badly.

again, i'm not sure what he's referring to in not getting those ideal matchups.. maybe it was the stastny/koivu thing. but in the context of last night's game.. that seems pretty odd say that they didn't get koivu line enough out there against the stastny line..

i agree that he's below average NHL coach. fletcher has missed twice already. if he's given chance to pick another coach (i think he is) they have to go with a vet coach.

hopefully they see oates or noel as one :laugh:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
You make a great point about Brodin, but I don't think Yeo is that smart. It isn't Suter getting burned on that pairing, it is Spurgeon constantly. And Brodin is holding his own well enough on the 2nd pairing. If they fix the top pairing and play Suter-Brodin 30 minutes against MacK it could do wonders for them with Kuemper in net.

Again though, I don't give Yeo that much credit. He complained about matchups when he had his best defensive unit (forwards and defense) against our best group. The only problem is that Stastny/Landy/EJ not only shutdown Koivu's line, they killed them offensively.

Also, while I agree about the breakout, I actually think they were playing MacK pretty well. Spurgeon was the weak link a couple times, but they are containing the neutral zone most shifts. The problem was they couldn't stop him everytime and when he broke through they went full scramble mode and failed to regroup themselves defensively.

It's like they weren't ready for their trap to fail and didn't know what to do in that 15 seconds immediately after we broke through the neutral zone.

Brodin did play with Suter later on in the game if I'm not mistaken.

As for the bolded that was my point kind of, they do a decent job in the neutral, but when the Avs manage to get through the zone cleanly (mostly because of the quick transition from defense to offense, which is the aspect of teh game Barrie has been crucial at) it's scramble mode and they give up the blue-line way too easily since they respect MacKinnon's speed, problem is if they decide to stand up he can just chip the puck and chase, like Patty said a number of times you have to be smart about your breakouts, if the other teams is trapping you chip the puck in and go try to retrieve it, luckily we have guys who can win board battles and once we establish a cycle it's trouble for the Wild.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
What a game for MacKinnon/Landeskog/Stastny. Best line so far.

And O'Reilly has been perfect defensively.

Hopefully on the road we'll see some defense start contributing to the offense, they're been quiet lately.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
What a game for MacKinnon/Landeskog/Stastny. Best line so far.

And O'Reilly has been perfect defensively.

Hopefully on the road we'll see some defense start contributing to the offense, they're been quiet lately.

I can't wait for Duchene to get back. O'Reilly is already playing like a beast and Matt is going to really help him offensively. Put McGinn or Talbot next to those two to bring some grit to that line. Combine that with the play of Landy - Staz - MacK and that's some top-6.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Heard has been in the doghouse for a while now. He did end on a high note with a goal yesterday. I'm pretty sure the folks in LE had a hand in who was sticking around so I know they never would have recommended Heard. It is unfortunate. He could play the Malone role if he had to.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Lost the Corsi battle last night, and were tied on Fenwick. Can't be happy with this win because of it.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
BIG injury news, I posted it in the Injury Thread.

I think we all knew he'd be skating by now, if the series were going differently and we were the ones down 0-2, I'd expect him to suit up by Game 5. But Roy has the luxury of sitting him longer to rest up, which is great for us since Duchy will probably still not be skating even 90% come round 2.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Duchene going to start skating tomorrow. I'd say there's a chance he might be in for game 5 since there's almost a week between game 3 and 5. Hope the Wilds are ready for MacKinnon on one line and this on the other.

10200352644_6c870e6b56_o.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If we loss the next two I think we see Matty back in this series, but if we win one of the next two I figure they just let him take his time unless it goes to game 7.

As for this game I'm still anxious. Yeo's not a very good coach but the wild are slowly sorting out the things we've been taking advantage of, Haula taking Brodziak's place on the third line, Kuemper coming in for Bryz. If Brodin replaces spurgeon on the top pairing that might just push them over the top with home ice. Really hope we can steal one from this trip to the beautiful twin cities.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If we loss the next two I think we see Matty back in this series, but if we win one of the next two I figure they just let him take his time unless it goes to game 7.

As for this game I'm still anxious. Yeo's not a very good coach but the wild are slowly sorting out the things we've been taking advantage of, Haula taking Brodziak's place on the third line, Kuemper coming in for Bryz. If Brodin replaces spurgeon on the top pairing that might just push them over the top with home ice. Really hope we can steal one from this trip to the beautiful twin cities.
I think Brodziak was back on the third line last night for the Wild in the third period?

Brodin has been pretty MIA this whole series. He seemed overwhelmed in the first game by the physicality. Not sure he is the difference between putting together a line that can slow Landeskog-Stastny-MacKinnon.

Avs put up 4 against Kuemper before. I bet they could do it again. Not to mention Bryz did make some good saves while he was in the net.

I do think the series will be headed back to Colorado though. More so because sweeping just seems unlikely, not because the Wild are putting it all together.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Lost the Corsi battle last night, and were tied on Fenwick. Can't be happy with this win because of it.

I think AVS (especially in game like that) shows how bad those advanced stats are. Matt Moulson who was almost invisible all night has CF% rel of 26.4%. Paul Stastny with 4 points has -9.1%. MacKinnon absolutely best player on the ice was 6.5%. I don't like those advanced stats and I don't know why some experts are taking them so damn serious that for them AVS may not be for real because they have bad Corsi. I'd rather have Staz with 4 points and -9.1% CF% rel than Moulson who has great Corsi but 0 points.

Here is link to those stats.

http://www.extraskater.com/game/2014-04-19-wild-avalanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad