Confirmed with Link: CDH and Saarela to CHI for Forsling and Anton Forsberg

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't think fleury is a big downgrade over deHaan.

I don't think AS was ever going to be an impact player for us.
And that's a fair take here.

Annoyed that we're STILL needing to sign a goalie to buy out Darling.

Only thing I can think is we're going to make a splash here looking for a goalie and a forward.

D will be fine:
Slavin - Hamiltion
Pesce - Faulk
Fleury/Bean - TVR

wonder if this also opens up chances that the Caps UFA dman would sign here.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
So both are RFAs and Forsberg is arbitration eligible.

I don't get giving up 3 years of de Haan here. TVR would make more sense as a UFA after a year.

Doesn't make sense as an expansion draft play, as they didn't get back any expansion immune players.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
i like the trade and i'll tell you why:

we get a goaltender that should be in the league and will get a real opportunity here. with the weakness of the ufa class, this was a move we needed to make if we're going to go with 3 goaltenders. this opens us up to sign a guy like mike smith or curtis and create some depth at the position.

we cut salary. with fewer teams seemingly interested in faulk, we may have to resign ourselves to keeping him. if we're going to attack our weaknesses in free agency, we need the flexibility to get that done. if we're truly in on duchene or another high profile player, we needed to move some money out. plus, and i loved de haan's game, but he's just not the type of dynamic presence that you'll struggle too hard to replace. he plays honest, hard minutes.... but he's not pesce or slavin. haydn fleury or now gustav forsling are a strong developmental summer away from walking him down developmentally. that isn't to undervalue him, it's just the basic facts.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
And that's a fair take here.

Annoyed that we're STILL needing to sign a goalie to buy out Darling.

Only thing I can think is we're going to make a splash here looking for a goalie and a forward.

D will be fine:
Slavin - Hamiltion
Pesce - Faulk
Fleury/Bean - TVR

wonder if this also opens up chances that the Caps UFA dman would sign here.

Ned battling Forsberg as Back up
We sign a UFA goalie with the cap space

Roster spot opens on D.
Forsling rots in the press box as the 7th D

Everybody wins

Reactions: A Star is Burns

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I can't think of a single level that this isn't f***ing horrible. Unless deHaan's shoulder is so mangled he'll never play again.

Finally get a high end free agent to sign wth the Canes, then turn around and move him in a year. That should go *super* for convincing others to sign in the future. Downgrade the D, and give away a prospect. I dunno

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Looks like a small salary clear. DeHaan was going to have reliability issues. It cost us Saarela to dump him. Forsberg and Firsling are not much. I doubt either plays in Raleigh. Both make under $1m.

Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
1- Just how hurt is CDH? This is a curious move to ship him out like this and not get too much in return. It definitely feels like he may be more hurt than we thought, which made us more willing to deal.

2- This helps us get another goalie in so we can get Darling off the books and free up even more space. That is a plus in itself.

3- This feels like we are setting up for something bigger. Now we should have the space to get all our guys signed and be able to bring in someone like Panarin or Duchene.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Forsling has potential, I don't think Forsberg is very good. Is Saarela good? His stats and playoff numbers look excellent for a 22 year old.

Great shot. Exceptional shot. Haven't seen much else that's impressive from him.

Oddly enough, the Canes could have used a great shooter especially early this season and he never got a shot.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
So basically it was Saarela, CDH for Forsberg, Forsling, Marleau, 1st. Its less awful when viewed this way. It just tempers my thoughts on Dundon and his purse strings.

Reactions: DaveG

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Looks like a small salary clear. DeHaan was going to have reliability issues. It cost us Saarela to dump him. Forsberg and Firsling are not much. I doubt either plays in Raleigh. Both make under $1m.
why would they not play for the hurricanes. i don't get it. we didn't acquire to players with 800k+ qualifying offers to play in the ahl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad