GDT: CDF #1: St. Louis Blues @ Dallas Stars ★ 7 PM CST ★ NBCSN / CBC ★

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

13124976_10156876410465215_667111215570189577_n.jpg

Last time on "The Fault in Our Stars" Playoff Edition

April 24th, 2016

The grass is green, the sky is blue and the sun is shining. Everything is beautiful as the Stars go up 4-0 on the Wild after two periods. This lead is squandered early in the third. Nearly the entire Stars fanbase is sent to the hospital with heart attacks thanks to the Stars surrendering 3 goals in the first ten minutes of the third.

The Stars received a holy trinity of puck luck. First, Kari Lehtonen turned the puck over to Jason Zucker, who couldn't fill in an empty net from a tight angle to make it 4 all. The Stars were then gifted with a wacky own goal thanks to Devan Dubnyk, this put the Stars up 5-3. Finally, Demers almost tied the game up by scoring on Kari, it was a hair from being across the red line. It didn't cross the line so most importantly, Minnesota Wild fans became educated on a phenomenon called the parallax angle.

The Dallas Stars eliminated the Minnesota Wild from the Stanley Cup Playoffs, 4 games to 2.

523849744-dallas-stars-v-minnesota-wild-game-six-850x560.jpg

defense = overrated

The Dallas Stars are in the business of proving people wrong this season.

Before the season started, most talking-heads counted the Dallas Stars out of the playoffs due to the fact that the defense core is mediocre and the goaltending duo is overpaid. Most had the Stars on the outside looking in on the playoffs. Hitting the links in mid-April or helping fill out World Championship rosters.

Well, they were wrong.

Benn_STLPreview.jpg

As the Stars offense picked up from where it left off in the 2014-15 season, the defense and goaltending became better. The "overpaid" netminders found ways to keep their team in the game. When Lehtonen would show signs of slowing down, Niemi could pick up the slack for him.

Would the Stars be better off if they had a goalie who could play 60+ games? Absolutely. However, the 1A/1B two-headed Finnish Monster between the pipes each had 25 wins, a stat typically attributed to 'team play' rather than goalie play. To me? The Stars players were able to have confidence with either goalie in the net. In the previous three seasons, Stars back-up goaltenders were only able to win 21 games.

523888130_std.jpg

They said that the Dallas Stars couldn't win low scoring games in the playoffs. Well, they did.

Now they're discounting those wins because they were against the "bad" and "banged up" Minnesota Wild.

477366597-minnesota-wild-v-dallas-stars-850x560.jpg

They say that the Dallas Stars can't get the job done without Tyler Seguin in the first two games.

They say that the Dallas Stars offense will be smothered by the St. Louis Blues Defense.

They say that the Dallas Stars can't match the grind of the St. Louis Blues.

Now it's time to prove them wrong, again.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

s0iFZ.gif

Dallas Stars

vs.

St. Louis Blues

wfFw8oD.gif

☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂BETWEEN THE PIPES FOR THE STARS: KARI LEHTONEN☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂☂

459429486-594x356.jpg

:stars
|
VS​
|
:blues
14 Benn - 20 Eakin - 10 Sharp​
|
★​
|
17 Schwartz - 12 Lehtera - 91 Tarasenko​
13 Janmark - 90 Spezza - 18 Eaves​
|
★​
|
20 Steen - 26 Stastny - 36 Brouwer​
21 Roussel - 12 Faksa - 83 Hemsky​
|
★​
|
15 Fabbri - 21 Berglund - 42 Backes​
27 Moen - 38 Fiddler - 22 Sceviour​
|
★​
|
9 Ott - 28 Broadziak - 10 Upshall​

||

33 Goligoski - 3 Klingberg​
|
★​
|
19 Bouwmeester - 27 Pietrangelo​
47 Oduya - 28 Johns​
|
★​
|
6 Edmundson - 22 Shattenkirk​
2 Russell - 4 Demers​
|
★​
|
4 Gunnarsson - 55 Parayko​

||

32 Lehtonen​
|
★​
|
1 Elliott​
31 Niemi​
|
★​
|
34 Allen​

||

Jordie, Nichushkin, Oleksiak, Nemeth​
|
X​
|

||

Seguin​
|
IR​
|
-​

The Road to the Stanley Cup begins again.

CeNDN_ZW4AAORdJ.jpg:large

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Moen in over Val . Even though it makes somewhat sense i still don't like Moen all that much. Looks like the Texas Stars won't make it out of the first round so the big team may get some more options soon.

Maybe Moen proves me wrong he looked decent in game 6 and had a glorious scoring chance .

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Moen's got a ton of playoff experience under his belt as well.

I'm fine with it. Neither of them would play more than 10 minutes, I'd assume, and Moen's probably a better asset to have in the locker room and on the bench.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
He's also not good. Val can hit AND he can skate, I don't care how many playoff games he played 9 seasons ago.

kms10g

Feb 17, 2015
Orlando, FL
Moen may be good to have to battle back some physicality. Wish we would let Val develop his own playoff experience though.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Moen may be good to have to battle back some physicality. Wish we would let Val develop his own playoff experience though.

Last game vs St Louis Val was the best player and his work led to our goal. Moen doesn't have more physicality, he's the kind of St Louis player we should be gleefully skating around.

occy30

Apr 11, 2012
St. Louis
IIRC they kill the local coverage and switch to national this round, but may need to double check

You are correct. National coverage only.

I don't wish you guys luck this round (obviously) but this will be a great series. Here is to an injury free game tonight :yo:

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'd rather Val then the Moenster, but at least Moen somewhat can play against STL style of play. McKenzie would be a good option also

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
You are correct. National coverage only.

I don't wish you guys luck this round (obviously) but this will be a great series. Here is to an injury free game tonight :yo:

Damn, I really, really don't like the national coverage.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He's also not good. Val can hit AND he can skate, I don't care how many playoff games he played 9 seasons ago.

Moen is a better 4th line checker than Val.

When the Texas Stars get eliminated soon and young guys get called up, the number of players who are better than Val will only grow.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Moen is a better 4th line checker than Val.

When the Texas Stars get eliminated soon and young guys get called up, the number of players who are better than Val will only grow.

If we were the Blues, this might make sense. But we are playing the Blues, and that's the team he was best against. Moen has a low & hard ceiling, he just can't create the chaos and open up the space like Val can and has done when we needed him to against these Blues.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If we were the Blues, this might make sense. But we are playing the Blues, and that's the team he was best against. Moen has a low & hard ceiling, he just can't create the chaos and open up the space like Val can and has done when we needed him to against these Blues.

I honestly don't recall him being anything special against the Blues. I just looked it up. He had all of one assist in five games against the Blues.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I honestly don't recall him being anything special against the Blues. I just looked it up. He had all of one assist in five games against the Blues.

Without him getting the puck to Janmark we'd have been shut out in the 5th game. The Blues hit people and expect them to stay hit, Val muscled though it and won a bunch of board battles once there was no momentum to contend with. Chaos is what we need to fight structure, if we don't have any they will smother us into a Kari vs Elliott duel.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Keith Jones: Goliogski had a good first round
Translation: Keith Jones didn't watch the Stars first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad