Review: CCM RBZ Skates - Long Term Review

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Confirm they're the right size, and if you can, take it to a shop. I've had occasional issues but it's simply a matter of using something to 'push out' the plastic hole in the holder, like a screwdriver or something. I would let the shop do it though if you really can't. Hand off that risk.

Thanks, I ended up just switching the male and female screws from one side to the other and it fit right in. One skate took 5 minutes, the other took about 3 hours until I decided to try the other side and it worked right away, still frustrating though.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Yeah, no big deal, but when you've got other customers waiting, it's annoying haha.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
Just baked mine this weekend in my home oven (No horror stories although I was conservative in temperature (turned oven off) and may not have taken full advantage of the heat moldability).

There is a hot spot on my ankle (I didn't think this was possible) and I can feel the padding and it seems that it just didn't get hot enough to mold deep enough. I will skate a few times and see how these break in (i'm 200lbs and an OK skater so they will get some use) but can these be rebaked if necessary?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Yeah of course. But perhaps you could spot heat it instead of rebaking the whole skate?

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
Honestly, I wasn't going to post any more in this thread but... after my first skate (scrimmage) it was like cruising around in Cadillacs. They were higher performance and ridiculously comfy. I could only imagine "better" boots are available but they are like luxury for beer leaguers. Is there any current models that come close?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Not really with use, but baking is effective. Depends on how 'tight' you find it though, and where. RBZs come in EE widths obviously as well.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
Not really with use, but baking is effective. Depends on how 'tight' you find it though, and where. RBZs come in EE widths obviously as well.

D is the only width I've been able to find it now. The price close to 200 now so I think I'm gonna go buy them and try to resell them if they don't fit.

I ordered them. I hope I guessed right on the size.

Last edited:

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
So I got my RBZ sharpened and baked. I don't think the sharpen was very good and they may not have been baked well either. They said they go by feel on the bake and just kind of improvised. I didn't get a particularly tight wrap.

Fit- The D width fits the bottoms of my feet great. No pinching at all and it's snug. The height of the boot 7D RBZ is too short in comparison to my Crazy Lights 8E. I figured they would be close since the RBZ are supposed to have more volume than other skates. I'm getting less ankle support since they aren't going high up enough on the shin. Coupled with the height of the holders, it's too much pressure on my right ankle. The sides don't wrap the tops of my feet much either.

The tongue is too soft and thick. I'm not getting the spring like effect of my CL's. They are comfortable but they don't seem as reactive to my strides.

Performance - My quick starts might actually be faster. Turns are quicker too. Still less stability though. My feet are wobbling a bit. If the boot was just a little taller I think that would be remedied.

I'm going to buy some wax laces to try and tighten them up more but as of now I'm not using these in competitive play. I'm not sure what else I can do to provide more ankle support. Is there a big jump in boot height between 7.5 and 8 in the CL model? Technically I fit into a 7.5 better so maybe I would have the same issue with CL in 7.5.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
No, don't bake with wax laces. The wax will melt off. Just relace with regular and have them do the bake properly. If you've read the earlier parts of the thread, you would see what sort of effects to expect.

Have someone use their hands to 'form' the boot once hot on your foot and follow you up as you tighten each set of eyelets. Once they've cooled on your foot, take them off and relace them without your feet to let them set in that position for the rest of the day or whatever.

Pedantic

Jan 18, 2016
compared to Jetspeeds or Tacks?

First time posting here. I'm curious if anyone has compared the RBZ to the Jetspeeds or new Tacks? 10.5s fit me well in both the Jetspeed and Tacks but, the closeout pricing on the RBZs is very tempting. Any suggestions on the RBZ sizing (relative to those mentioned) is appreciated.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Yes you would go down 0.5 to 1.0 size from current CCM and Bauer sizing. You would be either 10 or 9.5, I'd venture closer to 9.5.

Last edited:

Pedantic

Jan 18, 2016
Thanks for the direction. I was able to get my hands on a size 11 this afternoon. Predictably I was swimming in them with about a fingers width between my heel and the skate. It seems like a size down should fix that.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thanks for the direction. I was able to get my hands on a size 11 this afternoon. Predictably I was swimming in them with about a fingers width between my heel and the skate. It seems like a size down should fix that.

If it's possible, try on the 9.5 too, as that skate tends to give you a bit more room once baked.

Pedantic

Jan 18, 2016
Thanks, again. It's kind of a bummer buying skates online. After looking around a bit, I may aim for the RBZ 90. Post baking do you think it will mold similarly to the RBZ.

Pedantic

Jan 18, 2016
Aireaye, thank you for your replies. I'll update when the skates arrive. I went with the 90s in 9.5.

If these don't work out, I'm going to make the trip to the Windsor/ Detroit area. Any recommendations for a good shop/ fitter in those areas?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I'm not familiar, I think Perani's may be one of the best on the Windsor side and your USD may help out with the current exchange rate (sigh...). TotalHockey locations in the Detroit suburbs should be good as well.

Pedantic

Jan 18, 2016
So the RBZ 90 in9.5 arrived. Everything seems great except the boot doesn't have much wrap (over my foot). I did the pencil test and it suggests it's a no go. Will baking allow for better wrap? Or, rather, should I be looking for a deeper boot? I really like the fit of the boot otherwise. I'm wishing I had some shops closer to me.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
I'm not familiar, I think Perani's may be one of the best on the Windsor side and your USD may help out with the current exchange rate (sigh...). TotalHockey locations in the Detroit suburbs should be good as well.

Pro Hockey Life in Windsor is not bad. Definitely Total Hockey in Troy on this side.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
So the RBZ 90 in9.5 arrived. Everything seems great except the boot doesn't have much wrap (over my foot). I did the pencil test and it suggests it's a no go. Will baking allow for better wrap? Or, rather, should I be looking for a deeper boot? I really like the fit of the boot otherwise. I'm wishing I had some shops closer to me.
Maybe a few pictures will help

Pedantic

Jan 18, 2016
Maybe a few pictures will help
Here are a few images.
PGn0YGK.jpg

kBOQBQT.jpg

mkalo3V.jpg

A1D6o18.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events