Review: CCM RBZ Skates - Long Term Review

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Mr AIREAYE, how do you find the skates after all this time? I'm really heavily leaning towards grabbing this as I said previously i was looking for skates. i really love my RBZ sticks so im eager to try out something from CCM again

my real question is: would you buy them again after they broke on you? basically, are they worth it to buy expecting they will break in 1-2 years

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Well, they never broke first of all. I'm still using them and their condition is just fine.

Worth noting that I got them for a special discount as an employee, so value-wise, given that they've lasted me 2 years (and still going), I most definitely would.

From your perspective though, I wouldn't recommend them at full price, but since most retailers are clearing them out at 50% off or more (I wouldn't consider anything less tbh), they are still good deals IF they fit. Ultimately, if they do fit, they're a very comfy skate with great performance qualities. However, if you're a rec player looking for skates to last a long time (say, 3+ yrs) or are hard on your skates, maybe not.

The only people I may steer them away from are those that play very frequently (say, 3 or 4+ times a week) and competitively who desire a durable skate.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Well, they never broke first of all. I'm still using them and their condition is just fine.

Worth noting that I got them for a special discount as an employee, so value-wise, given that they've lasted me 2 years (and still going), I most definitely would.

From your perspective though, I wouldn't recommend them at full price, but since most retailers are clearing them out at 50% off or more (I wouldn't consider anything less tbh), they are still good deals IF they fit. Ultimately, if they do fit, they're a very comfy skate with great performance qualities. However, if you're a rec player looking for skates to last a long time (say, 3+ yrs) or are hard on your skates, maybe not.

The only people I may steer them away from are those that play very frequently (say, 3 or 4+ times a week) and competitively who desire a durable skate.

Hyzer

Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver

ah okay thanks for the info. are the RBZ control skates similar to them in regards to fit/performance?

also do you happen to know much about the X80s? many of my friends said they really like them. just curious if you have any experience with them! thanks again
:)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The Controls are awesome skates, amazing value. They'd be steals on sale if they fit, they're very similar to the top end model.

I've sold a whole bunch of X80 skates and ones like them, the X Shifts, but I've never worn them as I'm not a Vapor fit. Fantastic skates and great value as well, but do know that they fit very differently than RBZ (see page 1 for more fit details). Vapor is the narrowest while RBZ is among the widest.

OnTheFly19

Nov 15, 2013
On a lake, Minnesota
I picked up a pair of RBZ100s for ~$200. Huge difference in stiffness from my ~2003 CCM1052. I felt a little like I was learning how to skate again at first. By the end of the skate, I had a much better feel for them and felt like I was a bit faster given some room.

The only part that sucks is the unavoidable new skate blisters I get. Having been skating since the age of about 5, I have yet to wear a pair of new skates that don't give me a blister on the exact same spot on my right foot, every time.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I picked up a pair of RBZ100s for ~$200. Huge difference in stiffness from my ~2003 CCM1052. I felt a little like I was learning how to skate again at first. By the end of the skate, I had a much better feel for them and felt like I was a bit faster given some room.

The only part that sucks is the unavoidable new skate blisters I get. Having been skating since the age of about 5, I have yet to wear a pair of new skates that don't give me a blister on the exact same spot on my right foot, every time.

Where?

And I assume you had them properly fitted and heat molded?

Hyzer

Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Im going to the source hockey shop tomorrow and trying a pair of controls. 299 right now. hoping they fit great as my vapors are a little to narrow for me. will report back on fit etc after i get them!

OnTheFly19

Nov 15, 2013
On a lake, Minnesota
Where?

And I assume you had them properly fitted and heat molded?

Yeah I did. It's on the inside of my right foot. Every time I've gotten new skates, I've gotten a blister there. After a while the boot forms a bit better to my foot and it stops. I think it has to do with how wide my feet are.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
Does a 7.5 E Crazy light have more or less volume than a 7D RBZ? I might not have a chance to try on a 7D RBZ before ordering but the E width of the CL fits me fairly well.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Not 100% sure but I would guess slightly more since the E width CL is slightly wider than the D width RBZ if we're just looking at forefoot. Lengths are nearly the same though. However, the arch area of the RBZ isn't as 'high' as the CL, which could matter if you have flatter feet.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
Not 100% sure but I would guess slightly more since the E width CL is slightly wider than the D width RBZ if we're just looking at forefoot. Lengths are nearly the same though. However, the arch area of the RBZ isn't as 'high' as the CL, which could matter if you have flatter feet.

Thanks. I'd like to be safe with just ordering a pair of CL in 7.5E but finding those on sale new is a thing of the past. The RBZ line probably the next best thing.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I just retired my RBZ skates, got the Reebok Ribcor on clearance, had Reebok's before the RBZ's so I'm comfortable with the skates and the pump and can't afford to spend $700+ for skates right now. Didn't have any issues with the RBZ's falling apart, play twice a week in non check leagues or pickup, 6 feet 200lbs, eyelets are fine, etc.. The one issue I had is the felt on the tongue really wore down, so much so that it is almost totally flat and I began to develop lace bite on my left ankle. I looked at my previous skate, the Reebok 11K's and the tongue is noticeably more padded still than the RBZ and obviously no comparison to the new Ribcor's. I believe in changing skates about every 2 years, don't think I got to that time frame but bought the RBZ's when they first came out and playing twice a week I think I got my money's worth out of them.

sleepypillows

Aug 10, 2015
vapor-rbz

u guys seem like the best ones to ask. i was sized up as a 6EE in a vapor x80 skate but still having troubles with it numbing my foot because of the width of my feet.
I have been told the vapors run narrow compared to other skates so looking to widen up. the RBZ skate are on sale now in the USA so looking to upgrade.
Unfortunately im from a nice little country called Australia so skate shops and skates in general are hard to find especially in my sizes.

The length of my vapors is alright just not the width so my question is would a 5.5EE RBZ be a better length given the deep heel or stick with a 6EE.

Thanks in advance

Campoli

Jan 15, 2015
Vaughan, Ontario

Hey there, I was close to purchasing some Supremes but tried on the RBZ 80's and they fit great! Can you recommend this skate for an Intermediate level rec player?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I would if they feel significantly better than the Supremes. If they are close in fit/comfort, I would recommend the Bauers.

Also, see if you can find the RBZ90 too in that size.

Campoli

Jan 15, 2015
Vaughan, Ontario
I would if they feel significantly better than the Supremes. If they are close in fit/comfort, I would recommend the Bauers.

Also, see if you can find the RBZ90 too in that size.

Thanks AIREAYE. However, wouldn't the RBC 90's be a little too stiff for my level of play? 5'10 - 175lbs

goodriddance628

Sep 21, 2013
NW PA
Thanks AIREAYE. However, wouldn't the RBC 90's be a little too stiff for my level of play? 5'10 - 175lbs

I had RBZ 90's and you'll be fine in them at an intermediate level, and you'll get a nice mold out of baking the 90's, if you go with them make sure the shop bakes them like it says in the box.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I bought some replacement runners for my RBZ's, the black speed blades, one fit in no problem, the other the front bolt doesn't want to get past the runner in the middle. Any suggestions on how to fix this? If I made the hole a tiny bit bigger with a drill will I ruin the blade? Will my local hockey shop be able to fix this or do I need to return the blades?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Confirm they're the right size, and if you can, take it to a shop. I've had occasional issues but it's simply a matter of using something to 'push out' the plastic hole in the holder, like a screwdriver or something. I would let the shop do it though if you really can't. Hand off that risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad