Review: CCM RBZ Skates - Long Term Review

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I actually think you'll be OK on this one as you'll gain some space once the foams settle in after a proper bake. The tongue also forms well to your foot, evening out the pressure. The 90 is a great skate, hope you like it.

shootthegoalie

Jan 28, 2016
Good stuff!!

Any chance someone wants to do a similar review on the new CCM Tacks? Or have a link to a solid review already?

I've been skating in CCM Tacks (top model) for almost 2 years now.

Here's a short review, and if I have time, maybe I'll write up a more in depth review on a separate post so as not to totally hijack the thread.

The Fit/The Boot:
CCM Tacks have a narrow heel, normal to wide forefoot, and generous volume. It's not nearly as roomy as RBZs, but more roomy than the Ribcores (not sure about Jetspeeds, as I've never tried those) It is a very stiff skate (particularly the top end model), but it is a very comfortable skate once I baked and changed out the footbed to Superfeet Yellow (stock footbed is terrible). Took a little time to break in, but after about a dozen skates, I was all good. These skates are very thermoform-able, so definitely get them baked at least once, as they can be molded for almost the entire length of the boot. It's a significant difference from out of the box fit, to post bake fit.

Durability
Over 2 years, there's been normal cosmetic wear and tear, but nothing in terms of cracks, chips, threads coming loose, etc. I even had these punched early on (near the pinky toes) and the skate had no structural or integrity issues. A very well constructed boot.

Holders & Steel
Same holders as the top of the line RBZs (with Hyperglide steel). SB 4.0+ holders are great, though they are somewhat beat up with gouges and cuts. Hyperglide steel is great. Sharpens with very little burrs, and keeps an edge very well and for a good amount of time.

Hope this helps.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

Here's a short review, and if I have time, maybe I'll write up a more in depth review on a separate post so as not to totally hijack the thread.

The Fit/The Boot:
CCM Tacks have a narrow heel, normal to wide forefoot, and generous volume. It's not nearly as roomy as RBZs, but more roomy than the Ribcores (not sure about Jetspeeds, as I've never tried those) It is a very stiff skate (particularly the top end model), but it is a very comfortable skate once I baked and changed out the footbed to Superfeet Yellow (stock footbed is terrible). Took a little time to break in, but after about a dozen skates, I was all good. These skates are very thermoform-able, so definitely get them baked at least once, as they can be molded for almost the entire length of the boot. It's a significant difference from out of the box fit, to post bake fit.

Durability
Over 2 years, there's been normal cosmetic wear and tear, but nothing in terms of cracks, chips, threads coming loose, etc. I even had these punched early on (near the pinky toes) and the skate had no structural or integrity issues. A very well constructed boot.

Holders & Steel
Same holders as the top of the line RBZs (with Hyperglide steel). SB 4.0+ holders are great, though they are somewhat beat up with gouges and cuts. Hyperglide steel is great. Sharpens with very little burrs, and keeps an edge very well and for a good amount of time.

Hope this helps.

Great, that's appreciated. Feel free to start a thread up for it if you wish, even if it's just what you wrote here.

Pedantic

Jan 18, 2016
I actually think you'll be OK on this one as you'll gain some space once the foams settle in after a proper bake. The tongue also forms well to your foot, evening out the pressure. The 90 is a great skate, hope you like it.

Here's a couple post bake photos. Just thought I'd follow up. They feel very comfortable. I think I'd benefit from a deeper boot but these are it for the time being. Thank you for the advice. It's crazy how moldable these things are. I'm excited to play in them tomorrow.
LsGArIj.jpg

HFjj5oU.jpg

pzMeWtK.jpg

OnTheFly19

Nov 15, 2013
On a lake, Minnesota
In the areas you feel pressure still, try lacing from the outside in. It will buy you a few mm of room on top. I had the same problem with my RBZ100 where they were borderline on depth. Bake+break-in+lacing and I'm skating without any discomfort.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA

The Fit/The Boot:

Durability

Holders & Steel

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this.

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
In the areas you feel pressure still, try lacing from the outside in. It will buy you a few mm of room on top. I had the same problem with my RBZ100 where they were borderline on depth. Bake+break-in+lacing and I'm skating without any discomfort.

Can you send a link for the outside in lacing technique?

Pedantic

Jan 18, 2016

Thanks for the tip. It worked great. I've had a few skates on these now. They're definitely a great boot. I'm still getting used to the taller holder but that's on me.

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn

Definitely trying this. I bought these skates two years ago and they were great the last two years but my feet seem to have gotten fatter a little bit.

MegaAlf

Jul 8, 2011
I got mine baked again, this time being a much better bake. I still feel like it's not tight enough around the ankles. One of the guys at LHS recommended pushing the tongue to the tendon guard and tightening very tight and letting them sit for awhile. The RBZ D width look to be about the same volume at the CL E width so I don't know why I'm not getting that good of a wrap.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I got mine baked again, this time being a much better bake. I still feel like it's not tight enough around the ankles. One of the guys at LHS recommended pushing the tongue to the tendon guard and tightening very tight and letting them sit for awhile. The RBZ D width look to be about the same volume at the CL E width so I don't know why I'm not getting that good of a wrap.

Great idea at this point, I used to do this a lot too.

Afgan

Mar 1, 2017
AIREAYE Can you upgrade the picture in the review for CCM RBZ Skates in the first post please?)

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
AIREAYE Can you upgrade the picture in the review for CCM RBZ Skates in the first post please?)
Hmm, not sure why they're gone. but unfortunately, I don't have them anymore on file. Sorry!

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Got these skates for $229 at Sportscheck a few months ago. Finally have adjusted to the different profiling and the +4mm speedblades. Great skates.
I don't know if it's mental, but I do feel noticeably lot faster in them. Maybe not so much as acceleration, but definitely top end speed.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Here's a couple post bake photos. Just thought I'd follow up. They feel very comfortable. I think I'd benefit from a deeper boot but these are it for the time being. Thank you for the advice. It's crazy how moldable these things are. I'm excited to play in them tomorrow.
LsGArIj.jpg

HFjj5oU.jpg

pzMeWtK.jpg

These skates are way too shallow for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad