Rumor: CBJ trying to move up in the draft?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't think Erixon/Prout have a whole lot of value. 3rd, maybe 2nd if we're lucky. Goloubef doesn't have much value, he passed through waivers multiple times last season.

The thought was to use it to move up slightly in the 1st round in conjunction with our existing first rounded. We weren't discussing what we'd get straight up.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
The thought was to use it to move up slightly in the 1st round in conjunction with our existing first rounded. We weren't discussing what we'd get straight up.

I got that. Just stating value equivalents. A 1st and a 3rd wouldn't move us up to 6th, just like 16th+Prout wouldn't either.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I got that. Just stating value equivalents. A 1st and a 3rd wouldn't move us up to 6th, just like 16th+Prout wouldn't either.

Well then state where you would think it might move us up to. A lot of of depends on the team and their needs on defense.

One thing you aren't taking into account is that a 3rd round pick isn't NHL ready. Prout and Erixon are. Erixon is also a mobile puck mover. So your analogy isn't accurate. That isn't a direct equivalency.

In what is supposed to be a weaker draft something like that could move us up closer to the top 10 with the right team.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Good for Jarmo to explore all options. But given the variances in the teams' boards how far up do you have to move to make it worthwhile?

Number of times that a consensus top player has fallen a significant distance: roughly once per year

Number of times that a GM has said "We couldn't believe that this guy was still available when we picked": roughly 32 times per year

Therefore, we can deduce that there's a 3.125% chance of a move being worthwhile

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Any move up would be fairly major I suspect, as a move up by only a few spots wouldn't be worth it. Honestly I would target the Islanders pick as they are desperate to improve so that they avoid disaster in next year's draft.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Good for Jarmo to explore all options. But given the variances in the teams' boards how far up do you have to move to make it worthwhile?

I think it will be a gut call depending on how much you want a kid. Your dream is available at 12 but you're not sure he'll be around at 16 and a flip plus say a third gets him you make the deal.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I think it will be a gut call depending on how much you want a kid. Your dream is available at 12 but you're not sure he'll be around at 16 and a flip plus say a third gets him you make the deal.

It's a strange wonderful new world when we have drafted well enough in later rounds to actually pause as to that deal.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
When I read these tweets I didn't take it as he's actively trying to move up, moreso that he's just trying to explore all options, see what the prices are, as any good GM would do.

I agree with those that say if we do trade pick 16, it won't be for another pick, but either in a package, or by itself for a player who will help now.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Thanks. This makes sense - because I was looking at it wrong. I was thinking to have made the trade right now, not that Jarmo was laying ground work for something to do "live" on the draft floor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad