Rumor: CBJ trying to move up in the draft?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 14m
GM Jarmo Kekalainen said he's called all 15 teams ahead of #CBJ in first-round draft order to inquire about moving up on the board.

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 13m
Kekalainen: "I asked the top three teams what it would take. They say Ryan Johansen. I just said, 'Okay. That's not gonna happen. Click.'"

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
So, top 3 is clearly out of the question. Even if the option is there, would it be justifiable to move up in the draft if the highest we can go is 4th (hypothetically)? I say no, unless the price is very right.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 39m

GM Jarmo Kekalainen said he's called all 15 teams ahead of #CBJ in first-round draft order to inquire about moving up on the board.

Start the rumor mill everybody.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Knowing how this team holds it's cards close to their chest, this probably means it definitely isn't happening.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Knowing how this team holds it's cards close to their chest, this probably means it definitely isn't happening.
I wouldn't say one way or the other based on this. Last year they stated that they were willing to do a multitude of things with their 3 1st rounders and if I remember correctly there was an offer from either San Jose or Buffalo (which was shown on Behind the Battle) that was almost taken. I believe Jarmo said during the draft that according to the value chart that it was a good deal, but he decided to make the pick instead.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Picks for a better pick

16 + our 2nd + the ANA 2nd if we get it for a top 10 pick.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Wouldn't give up too much to move up, unless it's for #4 (since the top 3 are asking for a laughable price) ... Draisaitl is the only other guy I would give up a big piece for, and even then I don't think I would be willing to part with whatever it takes. Plus, it's Calgary, and they need that pick.

So realistically, to move up to anywhere from #5-#15, I wouldn't part with much more than our own first and a middle tier pick or prospect. I don't think it's very worth it...

For me, I take this more as Jarmo gauging what his own pick may be worth if offered around the league. Figuring out what it takes to get into a spot ahead of him, maybe he knows what to ask if someone wants a shot at his own pick?

Likely, we'll be making the pick at #16 tomorrow.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I've not been paying any attention to draftees this year so forgive me for the probably obvious question, are anybody outside of Ekblad and Reinhart ready to play? We are ready to win now and as such I don't see it being worth trying to trade up only to lose assets and gain someone who is maybe a little closer to being ready than we would get at 16. JMO.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I've not been paying any attention to draftees this year so forgive me for the probably obvious question, are anybody outside of Ekblad and Reinhart ready to play? We are ready to win now and as such I don't see it being worth trying to trade up only to lose assets and gain someone who is maybe a little closer to being ready than we would get at 16. JMO.

Ekblad, Reinhart, Dal Colle, Bennett are all going to step in right away. Likely Draistatl too

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Ekblad, Reinhart, Dal Colle, Bennett are all going to step in right away. Likely Draistatl too

That's an awful lot in a fairly weak draft ...

If Bennett plays in the NHL next year I will be very surprised. He might be the best player to come out of the draft, but he's not ready right away ... he's nowhere near strong enough and would be risking a lot by stepping right in. Similar situation with dal Colle; he's a bigger kid but needs to get stronger. Also, he has a way to go with his all-around game and will take a little longer to develop. Anything is possible with either guy, but I just don't see it happening.

Draisaitl could be a dark horse. He's big, strong, very skilled, and plays in all three zones. Doesn't use a lot of speed in his game, and his style should allow him to make a fairly easy transition.

For my money, I think we'll see 2-3 guys that step right into the NHL. Reinhart and Ekblad are probably near locks (especially with where they will get drafted) ... but other than that, it's a toss-up.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
We have excess waiver eligible defensemen and this could be a great use for one of them if there is a player we like.

I'm not why this is news though. It would seem to be standard operating procedure to get a sense of the value.

Could we get to 4 or 5 with Erixon/Prout/Goloubef + our 1st and a later pick? Would we want to?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
That's an awful lot in a fairly weak draft ...

If Bennett plays in the NHL next year I will be very surprised. He might be the best player to come out of the draft, but he's not ready right away ... he's nowhere near strong enough and would be risking a lot by stepping right in. Similar situation with dal Colle; he's a bigger kid but needs to get stronger. Also, he has a way to go with his all-around game and will take a little longer to develop. Anything is possible with either guy, but I just don't see it happening.

Draisaitl could be a dark horse. He's big, strong, very skilled, and plays in all three zones. Doesn't use a lot of speed in his game, and his style should allow him to make a fairly easy transition.

For my money, I think we'll see 2-3 guys that step right into the NHL. Reinhart and Ekblad are probably near locks (especially with where they will get drafted) ... but other than that, it's a toss-up.

Well if everything goes the way it should, meaning Ekblad to Florida (a lock to play in NHL next year), Reinhart to Buffalo (again a lock), Draisaitl to Edmonton, which is likely a lock since they want to improve their 2C spot behind RNH and they apparently soured on Gagner. That leaves Calgary who will be starved for forwards to take one of dal Colle and Bennett. Which likely means they step in right away, and the Islanders want help now and will in my mind accelerate whatever prospect they draft's development.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
We have excess waiver eligible defensemen and this could be a great use for one of them if there is a player we like.

I'm not why this is news though. It would seem to be standard operating procedure to get a sense of the value.

Could we get to 4 or 5 with Erixon/Prout/Goloubef + our 1st and a later pick? Would we want to?

Not a bad thought ...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

We could certainly move up; although I would think Erixon would be the target out of those 3. Not sure we could hit top 5.

As you are kind of hinting at here, I'm not sure we're done moving d-men. Although I'm not sure Golo is much of a worry from a waiver perspective.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I don't think Erixon/Prout have a whole lot of value. 3rd, maybe 2nd if we're lucky. Goloubef doesn't have much value, he passed through waivers multiple times last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad