CBJ Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Would you have been ok if Boqvist was sent down and then claimed by some other team? Or do you not think Boqvist would be claimed?

Waivers absolutely need to be considered, Boqvist and Peeke have value (hopefully Bean too) and we're better off trading them than losing them on waivers.

This is also why I am disappointed they didn't send down Sillinger - he'll get his last games played and then we can't send him down no matter what, so he'll be stuck in limbo on the 3rd/4th line and not really becoming the best player he could become. We already have enough 3rd/4th line wingers...

Other than Silly, I'm ok/happy with the roster for now. Curious to see how Voronkov develops in Cleveland, I'm a little worried he's not surrounded by any Russians on the ice - but Marchenko is too valuable to be sent down so this was the only way I guess.
I understand the thought but don’t sell us on training camp is about icing the best team.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
...that said I suspect everyone here would nonetheless prefer a bit more skill to go along with the toughness and intimidation. :)
Guddy may have adequate skill slotted as 3rd pair D. He obviously did not and does not have said skill to slot as 1st pair D as he was required/asked to do last season. I am not holding my breath, but hoping Guddy ends up being fine in that slot - albeit highly paid to fill that slot!

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I understand the thought but don’t sell us on training camp is about icing the best team.
I understand your thinking, but training camp is about icing the best team for the entire season, not just opening night. Blanks, Vronkov, etc., can still be called up anytime without waiver concerns - injuries will happen even if it's a tame year for injuries. You keep Blanks up now and he gets injured, there is no depth behind them as the other D would have been claimed off waivers.
That's my thought, regardless of whether they have even a sniff of a playoff spot or not - contract management has to be a part of the puzzle.
If Blanks (or Vronkov or others) had played so well that CBJ could not send them down and face the "room" - then they would have made the opening day roster. They had a shot. Instead, I agree with you that they were better, but only marginally better than some other D who were kept on the opening day roster. Not enought of a difference to warrant Blanks being on the roster opening night in the interests of long-term roster management. Training camp matters, but if you are on the margins and if you are waiver-eligible, you've got to be appreciably better. He was fine but not appreciably better.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I bet Dumais has a small injury that luckily let's him practice until he's eligible for a conditioning stint in AHL.
Dumais can play in the ahl for a conditioning stint you believe?

That's one way to beat the system if possible. Let him get his feet wet in the ahl and hope he goes off in his first game. That would be awesome if possible.

Otherwise hopefully he's up with the big club traveling for the first week.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

That's one way to beat the system if possible. Let him get his feet wet in the ahl and hope he goes off in his first game. That would be awesome if possible.

Its what Seattle did with Wright. I cant remember all the details but if a player sits long enough he can get 8 games in the AHL. Wright got that before going back to the OHL. I just hope its not too disruptive to the entire year if they go that route

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Ultimately, this opening night roster won’t really matter so there’s not much use in getting upset about it. Why would we waive Boqvist and lose him for nothing when we don’t have to?

Beginning of the season rosters are almost always pure asset management despite what coaches would like to tell you.

It’s almost inevitable that there will be (hopefully no more than) 1-2 spots available due to injuries in no time, and Blanks will be back. I’m sure Jarmo is still trying to find takers for Roslovic/Peeke/Boqvist or whoever else.

The only true mismanagement happening here is with Sillinger, but I’m willing to let him have the few games he has left, and if they don’t send him down then, that’s when I’ll be upset.

NewGenScout

Apr 22, 2022

Anyone here knows if it’s possible? I don’t see why not if he misses 2-3 weeks, but I might be wrong? That would be the best scenario for him, the team and even Team Canada. Playing against men in the AHL for a conditioning stint would be better than playing in junior against 16-17 years old.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I mean, they don't play the same position. It's not like they chose Foudy over Blankenberg.
Sure they aren't competing for same lineup spots but since rosters can be constructed with 13F/8D (Ducks and Penguins for example) instead of 14F/7D (Jackets), they did choose Foudy and Sillinger over Blankenburg.

Reactions: Napoli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad