Confirmed with Link: CBJ Sign Tim Erixon one year - one Way

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Nothing wrong with the signing. If he makes the team, he's a bargain for a #5-7 defenseman. If he doesn't make the team, you put him through waivers and maybe the issue of having him around solves itself.

Tim deserves a shot, it's up to him to take it and do something.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Great price

& this year Erixon sticks. I saw him in two games at the Worlds, he wasn't out of place at all. He seemed to be in good position and sniped in when appropriate. I think he had one bad turnover vs Russia but the entire team played pretty badly that game

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I haven't seen enough of him play to have any real opinion on Erixon.

The one way deal removes Erixon from the nebulous "prospect" category for the CBJ. Either he cuts the mustard or he is waived and likely claimed given his age and AHL production. It's probably for the best as he can't be given the yoyo treatment-up for a handful of games and then back to the AHL. He'll have an opportunity to go through some growing pains and establish himself or it's adios Erixon.

ernmorris

Jun 9, 2008
I was at prospect camp last Monday and decided to grab some lunch with my son in town since I was already there. After lunch I realized that I forgot to get my parking validated and went back to the ice haus. There was one lone CBJ practicing on the ice - it was Erixon. I commented to the guy that he didn't want to be the #7 d-man!

I like that he's still in town, working hard with the trainers!

These are good problems to have. You've got a motivated kid like Erixon working his tail off and that only pushes the rest of the guys to improve as well.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Considering the dollar value of his deal and what he was on prior to this, it looks like he sacrificed money for the one way deal. he could be the Savard of this season who was probably told what he needed to work on if he wanted to be an NHL D and he's focused on doing it. The talent is definitely there, he just needed to work his tail off to break into the lineup.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I need to look into it but believe the CBJ can then re-sign him to a 2 yr deal and retain him as RFA after that. He will have arbitration rights next year but we could hold him for 3 years and then sign him long term. Not certain but think that is correct.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I need to look into it but believe the CBJ can then re-sign him to a 2 yr deal and retain him as RFA after that. He will have arbitration rights next year but we could hold him for 3 years and then sign him long term. Not certain but think that is correct.

As I understand it there are no 3 year deals in arbitration so if that happened it would be a negotiated deal which would indicate mutual satisfaction. If they went 3 years, he'd be 27 at the end which I believe makes him past RFA status.

From the CBA:

Any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of a League Year, shall, if his most recent SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either as of June 30 of such League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
As I understand it there are no 3 year deals in arbitration so if that happened it would be a negotiated deal which would indicate mutual satisfaction. If they went 3 years, he'd be 27 at the end which I believe makes him past RFA status.

From the CBA:

sorry for the confusion. I was including the one year deal and then a two year deal next year for my "3 years". Arbitration only allows one or two year deals.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
sorry for the confusion. I was including the one year deal and then a two year deal next year for my "3 years". Arbitration only allows one or two year deals.

frog protection? fraud protection? Yes we're on the same page. :laugh:

Hopefully Erixon plays well and signing him to a 2 year deal isn't an issue. Only problem I see is at the end he'll be 27 and eligible for UFA. If he does really well this year, I could see an attempt to sign him for maybe 4 years. The way the game is developing, I have to think a good puck moving guy who can put up maybe 40 points is going to be very valuable. I'd love to see him live up to that kind of promise. Imagine a blue line a few years down the line with Murray, Erixon and Reilly-plus Savard, Heatherington, Johnson and maybe Wiz. Maybe not the toughest blue line you'll see but definitely a pretty high powered one.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
frog protection? fraud protection? Yes we're on the same page. :laugh:

Hopefully Erixon plays well and signing him to a 2 year deal isn't an issue. Only problem I see is at the end he'll be 27 and eligible for UFA. If he does really well this year, I could see an attempt to sign him for maybe 4 years. The way the game is developing, I have to think a good puck moving guy who can put up maybe 40 points is going to be very valuable. I'd love to see him live up to that kind of promise. Imagine a blue line a few years down the line with Murray, Erixon and Reilly-plus Savard, Heatherington, Johnson and maybe Wiz. Maybe not the toughest blue line you'll see but definitely a pretty high powered one.

I think that'd be a good well-rounded blueline (except you want at least 2 good RHD). If the Don Cherry ideal of a blueline was best then the Flyers would be winning Cups left and right.

jacketsinDC

Mar 8, 2011
Seattle
I was at prospect camp last Monday and decided to grab some lunch with my son in town since I was already there. After lunch I realized that I forgot to get my parking validated and went back to the ice haus. There was one lone CBJ practicing on the ice - it was Erixon. I commented to the guy that he didn't want to be the #7 d-man!

I like that he's still in town, working hard with the trainers!

These are good problems to have. You've got a motivated kid like Erixon working his tail off and that only pushes the rest of the guys to improve as well.

awesome. I like all three of prout, erixon, and savard, but erixon shows the most potential. hopefully he tears it up this year

CBJRzeznik

Mar 8, 2014
I am hoping Erixon has a "Savard-like" year and shows he is ready to stick in the NHL. It may be in the minority opinion here but I honestly thought he looked promising during the lock-out season. The reports of how hard he is working this off-season give me more optimism. Hopefully it all gels giving us another promising young DMan.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I am hoping Erixon has a "Savard-like" year and shows he is ready to stick in the NHL. It may be in the minority opinion here but I honestly thought he looked promising during the lock-out season. The reports of how hard he is working this off-season give me more optimism. Hopefully it all gels giving us another promising young DMan.

He looked very promising that year. Better hockey sense than most of the team. If its a minority opinion its because a minority noticed him out there.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
He looked very promising that year. Better hockey sense than most of the team. If its a minority opinion its because a minority noticed him out there.

I don't believe it is a minority opinion that Erixon played well the year before last. The dispute seems to be whether that, plus his play in Springfield, should have earned him more time in Columbus, last season, regardless of the contract/waiver issues among the young defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad