Confirmed with Link: CBJ Sign Oscar Dansk to ELC

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I was thinking Weber instead of Tyrell. But, other than that, you are correct.

While I don't think Tyrell will ever be a key contributor for the Jackets, he's a very good guy to have in the AHL, because he can be a top line player down there, and is a lead by example type of guy. He could fill in for us if injuries mount, if necessary.

Assuming Weber goes, the only defensemen signed through next year are Austin Madaisky and Thomas Larkin. Seriously, that's all. McNeill and St. Denis are pending UFAs, and the pending RFA list was posted above.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i don't see Will Weber going...he has a good shot just has skating issues...lol

he's made good strides

edit...those of you who know Katy know that she's fairly in tune with what Springfield has going on...she called Weber the most improved and that they hope we resign him...their need for defense also plays into it...we may have to from a pure body stand point...

Last edited:

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Assuming Weber goes, the only defensemen signed through next year are Austin Madaisky and Thomas Larkin. Seriously, that's all. McNeill and St. Denis are pending UFAs, and the pending RFA list was posted above.

I think St. Denis will at least garner an offer. They will add at least one more veteran, which leaves two spots. Weber is a potential fit for one of them, but for the CBJ to offer him a contract is questionable. After all, does anyone really see him being a Jacket at any point in the next 3-5 years?

i don't see Will Weber going...he has a good shot just has skating issues...lol

he's made good strides

edit...those of you who know Katy know that she's fairly in tune with what Springfield has going on...she called Weber the most improved and that they hope we resign him...their need for defense also plays into it...we may have to from a pure body stand point...

Good to hear, but see above. He's not going to make the roster ahead of anyone named Johnson, Wisniewski, Murray, Tyutin, Erixon, Savard, Prout, or Goloubef ... whoever of that group is brought back next year. I could see him getting a deal to stay in Springfield, but is it possible that he gets a contract just from the Falcons?

Point being, I think they have to sign guys like Zaar before they sign guys like Weber. I have nothing against re-signing Weber, but if it pushes us too close to a contract limit and we lose out on a good prospect, then it becomes an issue.

Otherwise, ink him up.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
27, not including the fact that Dansk, Rychel, and Bjorkstrand can all slide.

You said this twice. Capgeek is not showing Dansk as a SR. Where are you coming up with this info? He's over 20. My understanding is that SR only applies to 18 and 19 year olds that don't play more than 9 NHL games.

As far as Dansk, nice to have him under contract. Hope he works out.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
You said this twice. Capgeek is not showing Dansk as a SR. Where are you coming up with this info? He's over 20. My understanding is that SR only applies to 18 and 19 year olds that don't play more than 9 NHL games.

As far as Dansk, nice to have him under contract. Hope he works out.

According to the fine folks at Capgeek:
If a player aged 18 or 19 signs an entry-level contract with a club (with his age calculated on Sept. 15 of the year he signed the contract) but does not play in at least 10 NHL games — regular season or playoffs — the contract will "slide" or be extended one year. The extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31 in the year he signed the contract

Perhaps the better question is whether Dansk could have had a sliding contract if he'd signed before December 31 of this season. Since his birthday is February 28, 1994, he'd have been 19 years old and couldn't have turned 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the year that he signed the contract.

Unfortunately, actually loading the CBA on my computer to verify any amendments or exceptions takes a long time, so I can't do that either.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Perhaps the better question is whether Dansk could have had a sliding contract if he'd signed before December 31 of this season. Since his birthday is February 28, 1994, he'd have been 19 years old and couldn't have turned 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the year that he signed the contract.

Yes, he could have slid one year had he signed before Feb 28th. However, it would have looked exactly as it does now. His first year (2013/14) would have slid to next season and we'd be right where we are. Not a lot of benefit unless he was to play in the NHL for a few games or the AHL.

Rule of thumb; if they are over 19 when the sign their contract they aren't a SR/ELC. Dansk was 20.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm surprised since Dansk was solidly beaten out of the starting job twice playing for Rögle. They were one of the bottom teams in the SHL and had to play in the relegation tournament to stay in the SHL. Goalie Anders Lindbäck started in all of the relegation games for Rögle. Lindbäck had some NHL experience, but couldn't cut it in the AHL and went back to Sweden rather than be sent to ECHL.

Dansk seems headed for the 2nd tier Swedish league. He's not going to get a backup job in the SHL next season.

But might as well see if he can actually do anything while under contract.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Probably to assess him and see if he's made any progress in his game before making any goaltending decisions in the offseason (especially if Korpisalo is taken in expansion)

They must be thinking he may be a better option than re-signing Houser to be the Monsters backup next year.

Either that, or they're preparing for a doomsday scenario where we lose Korpisalo or Forsberg in the expansion draft and Bobrovsky bolts to the KHL so he can play in the Olympics.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Elvis is the wildcard in the goalie situation next season. Does he come over? He has one year left on his contract in Switzerland. I'm not sure when he needs to be signed by.

He's making enough in the Swiss league that he might not want to play for peanuts in the AHL.

Depth in net is always a priority, so the more goalies in the pipeline the better.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Elvis is the wildcard in the goalie situation next season. Does he come over? He has one year left on his contract in Switzerland. I'm not sure when he needs to be signed by.

He's making enough in the Swiss league that he might not want to play for peanuts in the AHL.

Depth in net is always a priority, so the more goalies in the pipeline the better.

Wut?

https://swisshockeynews.ch/index.ph...s-extends-contract-with-hc-lugano-prematurely

He's signed through 2018-2019 in Switzerland with no NHL (or KHL) out clause.

Because he was drafted out of Europe, the Jackets hold his NHL rights indefinitely, I believe.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Note: I was not serious about the above doomsday scenario. I was trying to think of some way, no matter how absurd, that Dansk could factor into the goalie picture next year.

I guess a full-time ECHL affiliate would be another.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I wonder if they just want a temporary AHL backup and don't want to have to hire anyone for it.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Wut?

https://swisshockeynews.ch/index.ph...s-extends-contract-with-hc-lugano-prematurely

He's signed through 2018-2019 in Switzerland with no NHL (or KHL) out clause.

Because he was drafted out of Europe, the Jackets hold his NHL rights indefinitely, I believe.

It hasn't been indefinite since 2005. They have a sign him by a certain date or he becomes a UFA, which may be his intent by staying in Europe. Some of those contracts can be flexible.

Luleå had a contract with Kukan an NHL out clause, but not an AHL out clause. They argued he couldn't be sent to the AHL and needed to be returned to the SHL but Kukan went to the AHL. Luleå told their local newspaper they had a valid contract with Kukan that required him to play for them instead of Cleveland, but they couldn't enforce it.

Last edited:

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I wonder if they just want a temporary AHL backup and don't want to have to hire anyone for it.

Yes, I wouldn't read too much into this at this point. They need another AHL backup if they bring both Korpi and Forsberg to Pittsburgh during the playoffs, so might as well bring Dansk over. They get to see if he's progressed any and then make a final decision on whether they are going cut him loose in the summer (I assume his contract is up this year even though he's been on loan?)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
It hasn't been indefinite since 2005. They have a sign him by a certain date or he becomes a UFA, which may be his intent by staying in Europe. Some of those contracts can be flexible.

"The new NHL CBA §8.6(d)(i) effectively extends the duration of this termination clause to four years. This extended period of time would seem to benefit the European leagues since the player will be able to stay in the Europe for a longer period of time before the NHL club is required to either offer a player contract or lose their exclusive rights to the player."

Via - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/effect-nhls-cba-european-players-international-ice-hockey-ryan-lake

So we just have to make a contract offer by 2018. You are right on those contracts...several European times and I think even KHL teams have tried to prevent a player from going to the NHL, but those contracts were not enforceable.

Elvis is signed through 2019 in Switzerland. I think he'd have a shot at #2 or #3 on the organizational depth chart if he was in North America next year.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The archives of the articles about Kukan situation aren't online, so I can't get exact quotes. What it seems like is Luleå's only recourse was to seek financial compensation from the Jackets since what were they suppose to do - drag Kukan onto a plane from Cleveland and force him to play for them?

Their GM type person maintained it was complete violation of Kukan's contract for him to play in the AHL and was very pissed off.

The larger issue is that teams are able to recruit players from other countries (like Luleå getting Kukan from Switzerland, or Elvis playing in Switzerland from Latvia) and if they are hardliners about contracts, they aren't going to be able to recruit as well. These kids want to play in the NHL and are playing in another country to get there.

But I think sending Dansk back to Sweden is a sign that Jarmo understands he needs to throw the European teams a bone. That they aren't constantly losing their players for nothing and NHL teams will try to help them out by sending players to Europe rather than the ECHL.

Enough players are going back after 3-4 years developing in the AHL that SHL teams are also seeing the long term benefit of maintaining positive relationships with players so when their NHL career doesn't pan out, they come back to play for them rather than a rival team.

In terms of the CBJ goalie situation, the question is in terms of the pipeline. I don't think Dansk will end up pulling a Sedlak and salvaging his career. After Korpi's performances recently, maybe that decreases his chances of being taken in the expansion draft. Forsberg's been stellar in the AHL so maybe that ups his chances. One of them may be the backup next season, but that leaves the AHL spot. Elvis may not want to play in the AHL, so that means a free-agent could be signed for that spot. This draft, they need to select a goalie to get another one in the pipeline. But Dansk does have the opportunity to show he deserves the chance to be the Cleveland starter next year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad