Confirmed with Link: CBJ sign Justin Danforth to a 1 year 1.1M AAV extension

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Happy with it. He's more than a replacement player and is tenacious. Still a bit of a "prove it" deal but hopefully provides him with some stability and lets him focus on the game (not that it was ever in question based on his play).

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Signing a guy early to an extension coming off of a major surgery/injury, who turns 31 before the contract kicks in, and who has played 51 career NHL games is a choice.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Signing a guy early to an extension coming off of a major surgery/injury, who turns 31 before the contract kicks in, and who has played 51 career NHL games is a choice.
justin danforth's aav: $1.1m

maximum that you can bury in the AHL on a single contract: $1.1m

it's a choice that is all upside, baby!

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Are you paying his extension? It's a million dollars with a major cap increase all but guaranteed next season. There's literally 0 risk...

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Are you paying his extension? It's a million dollars with a major cap increase all but guaranteed next season. There's literally 0 risk...

Less about the money and more about he and Olivier taking up roster spots next season when there are going to be better options, imo.

There’s always one :rolleyes:

How dare we question the great and mighty Jarmo who has seen this team to the 23rd best points % in his deacade-long tenure, getting out of the first round once.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I'd take Danforth over literally any of the other utility guys we've got. Robinson, Foudy, Olivier, Bemstrom, even Kuraly. And this tells me so would the FO.

I don't trust Jarmo and JD anymore either, but I like this particular signing. You do still need fourth liners on good teams, which we will hopefully be next year.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Less about the money and more about he and Olivier taking up roster spots next season when there are going to be better options, imo.

How dare we question the great and mighty Jarmo who has seen this team to the 23rd best points % in his deacade-long tenure, getting out of the first round once.
Who? If those players are good enough and Danforth is bad enough he spends a season in the AHL or gets claimed. I fail to see the problem...

Reactions: cslebn

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
There's like zero risk to this signing? At worst he's a 4th liner or gets buried in the AHL, at best he's a guy you can slot in the top-6 to bring some forecheck/grit into a line. I'll take two.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021

I just don’t know who we have in the system who is a legit 4th liner with skill.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I suspect you may have lost track of who we're talking about. The only other 'utility guy' on the roster it would be even more absurd to complain about extending at all would be Texier. If he'd been given term, that might be cause for complaint, but this is a steal.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'd take Danforth over literally any of the other utility guys we've got. Robinson, Foudy, Olivier, Bemstrom, even Kuraly. And this tells me so would the FO.

I don't trust Jarmo and JD anymore either, but I like this particular signing. You do still need fourth liners on good teams, which we will hopefully be next year.
I think Olivier not. Every team needs players like him. And if we had Oliviers, Gudbranson and Voronkov together, I don't think Wilson/Reaves etc would be interested in provoking/causing fights either.

Reactions: thebus88

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I think Olivier not. Every team needs players like him. And if we had Oliviers, Gudbranson and Voronkov together, I don't think Wilson/Reaves etc would be interested in provoking/causing fights either.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm a big Olivier fan. Thirteenth forward who can cycle into the lineup to provide toughness? Absolutely. But I still take Danforth for the roster first, especially when Gudbranson is already there (and especially next season, Voronkov from game one).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad