Confirmed with Link: CBJ sign James Neal (W) PTO

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Screw Neal, he’s the guy who hammered Tyutin in the corner that caused our promising young rookie center to challenge him to a fight (admittedly foolish on Brass’ part). Brass left game with shoulder injury from that fight and was never the same player.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Screw Neal, he’s the guy who hammered Tyutin in the corner that caused our promising young rookie center to challenge him to a fight (admittedly foolish on Brass’ part). Brass left game with shoulder injury from that fight and was never the same player.

I'm not disagreeing with you on screw Neal, dude is very dirty, but really what did he do wrong with Brass? I don't recall it being a dirty fight and still didn't see anything on a rewatch

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
James Neal has a long history of being a pos. I know its a PTO but I like it about as much as the Rinaldo signing

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not disagreeing with you on screw Neal, dude is very dirty, but really what did he do wrong with Brass? I don't recall it being a dirty fight and still didn't see anything on a rewatch
As a Brassard fan (my first username), Neal did nothing wrong on the fight. He actually pulled off on fighting when brassard told him he was hurt. I don’t recall the hit that started it, but knowing Neal it could have been dirty. But as far as the fight goes Neal didn’t do anything to brass, the shoulder tore when he grabbed him I think.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Never said the fight was dirty. Just saying if Brass doesn’t have that fight, who knows how his rookie year progresses and the trajectory of his career.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
And here I was afraid I'd be deep in the majority for saying "do not want" based on Neal's past as a dirty player.

I have no idea who this guy is now - stats, play style, still a piece of crap? - but based on the type of player he used to be, my hope is he's just a warm body and we send him packing at the end of camp.

We don't need some jerk wagon taking runs at opponents and causing our smaller guys to get involved in countless after whistle scrums and crap.

SK7CBJ

Jul 11, 2022
I may take a contrarian point of view. Yes, Neal is a bastard to play against, but doesn't most every team have one? Tom Wilson, Brad Marchand, Milan Lucic, etc. I am not saying Neal would be as valuable as Wilson or Marchand, but he does stand up for his teammates and does the dirty work in front of the goal. I would say give him a try, but would be willing to cut bait if it didn't work out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And here I was afraid I'd be deep in the majority for saying "do not want" based on Neal's past as a dirty player.

I have no idea who this guy is now - stats, play style, still a piece of crap? - but based on the type of player he used to be, my hope is he's just a warm body and we send him packing at the end of camp.

We don't need some jerk wagon taking runs at opponents and causing our smaller guys to get involved in countless after whistle scrums and crap.

I think that is indeed an out of date view on the player. Neal was never that tough or that dirty, and he's much less like that now that he's older and too slow to do anything.

That and if he was still capable of playing that way, Jackets fans would like him all the more. Nobody in Columbus regrets taking on Scott Hartnell or calls him a jerk wagon for starting scrums. That's what Pens fans think.

Anyways, this is more of a hypothetical about what kind of player people like, the current James Neal probably can't play in the NHL and almost certainly won't play more than a short spell for the Jackets.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think that is indeed an out of date view on the player. Neal was never that tough or that dirty, and he's much less like that now that he's older and too slow to do anything.

That and if he was still capable of playing that way, Jackets fans would like him all the more. Nobody in Columbus regrets taking on Scott Hartnell or calls him a jerk wagon for starting scrums. That's what Pens fans think.

Anyways, this is more of a hypothetical about what kind of player people like, the current James Neal probably can't play in the NHL and almost certainly won't play more than a short spell for the Jackets.
Hartnell wasnt throwing flying elbows, incredibly late hits or kneeing someone in the head down on the ice. Neal and Hartnell isnt really a comparisn at all other than slow skaters I guess

Reactions: DougKnowsBest

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
"majormajor, post: 186027847, member: the current James Neal probably can't play in the NHL and almost certainly won't play more than a short spell for the Jackets.

Some times the right short spell at the right time can be very impactful and important to the season

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
If Neal was to come to Cleveland and produce almost a point a game like he did for Springfield last year, I would take it. Also would be nice as an injury call up if there is no younger guy available.

Reactions: LJ7

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
The issue with that is we have LOTS of younger guys available to play that position.
True. But there still needs to be an x amount of vets that have to dress each game. It would be nice to have a point producing vet to play. I'm thinking he isn't coming here. He will go to camp and the Jackets will most likely release him.

Reactions: Fro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad