Confirmed with Link: CBJ sign Erik Gudbranson (D) 4 years 4 million AAV

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
in an ideal world, he is what he was in calgary: a third pairing guy who brings physicality and goes out there to play hard minutes so that the more skilled defensemen higher in the lineup can have more favorable deployment.

I don't think this ever happened. Hard minutes would go to Tanev so that Gudbranson would be sheltered.

His usage is not why he is bad. He's been a "zero" before purely in a third pair sheltered role. He also started the year here on the third pair next to Jake Bean and it was absolutely dreadful (on Gud's part, Bean was fine without him).

Reactions: DarkandStormy

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I honestly haven’t noticed him any more or less engaged physics than anyone else. I wondered though if that was just specific to me, that maybe others have seen it and he’s fine.
Me either. Maybe the stats say he’s been throwing the body but I just don’t see him involved. Granted, I have barely watched the last 10 games, but what I have watched I probably wouldn’t notice him throwing the body more than say Peeke or Gavrikov. Certainly not fighting either.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I honestly haven’t noticed him any more or less engaged physics than anyone else. I wondered though if that was just specific to me, that maybe others have seen it and he’s fine.

The question is whether anyone has taken a cheap shot at any of our young players that are the future of this franchise. When I was still watching games this season, I never saw this happen. I have watched maybe a total of 15 minutes of the last several games, so I don’t know anymore.

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Is anyone surprised given his success was very dependent on him being a role player and we've had to lean extremely heavy on him outside of his role.

Its no different than if we made Kuraly our 1C. It's not his role so we shouldn't expect him to be a PPG player. Gudbranson is a physical presence on the ice, not a top 4 defenseman you feed minutes to.

He was brought in to be a 3rd pair guy and has played mostly 2nd pair minutes due to injuries. That's not at all like promoting your 4C to your top line.

If the difference between him being mediocre and league-worst is those 2-3 extra minutes a night (plus matchups, I suppose) then he's not good and should have never been signed to that term or that AAV.

Reactions: LJ7

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If the difference between him being mediocre and league-worst is those 2-3 extra minutes a night (plus matchups, I suppose) then he's not good and should have never been signed to that term or that AAV.

So, what do we do? Do we fire the front office for giving out a bad contract? Do we accept it and move forward? Do we point the same thing out over and over?

My view is as long as people aren’t getting hit egregiously and we are going to suck anyway, let’s be glad that Johnson and others aren‘t on the receiving end of cheap shots while they are teenagers and not single out one of our several lousy defensemen. I am also in favor of firing the entire front office and bringing in people from the outside to build the next phase of the Jackets.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So, what do we do? Do we fire the front office for giving out a bad contract? Do we accept it and move forward? Do we point the same thing out over and over?

My view is as long as people aren’t getting hit egregiously and we are going to suck anyway, let’s be glad that Johnson and others aren‘t on the receiving end of cheap shots while they are teenagers and not single out one of our several lousy defensemen. I am also in favor of firing the entire front office and bringing in people from the outside to build the next phase of the Jackets.
Of course it’s not measurable or verifiable that he is the reason why liberties aren’t being taken.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I wouldn't even construct the choice that way. We could have had all three and cut elsewhere. We were only a couple million over the cap with Bjorkstrand included, and for about one game too until guys started hitting LTIR.

I find it hard to unbundle Gudbranson from Gaudreau Maybe it's because I refuse to believe GMs would constantly give the guy big contract after big contract without there being a catch. But indeed, retaining Bjork while never signing Guds would've been the far superior outcome.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Of course it’s not measurable or verifiable that he is the reason why liberties aren’t being taken.
No, but I have already seen Wennberg become a totally different player after a hit by Tom Wilson. I don’t need to see that again. I’ll gladly have Gudbranson and Olivier in the line up for the next couple of years. I also want to draft bigger players. Look at the size of Tampa’s defensemen. That is what I want.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
No, but I have already seen Wennberg become a totally different player after a hit by Tom Wilson. I don’t need to see that again. I’ll gladly have Gudbranson and Olivier in the line up for the next couple of years. I also want to draft bigger players. Look at the size of Tampa’s defensemen. That is what I want.
This, plus mean. I've been saying this for 20 years, (yes, I'm old) but I want a handful of players on this team that are just absolute MFers to play against because they are mean as a snake. I don't need them in our top lines, but I want them on our team. I hope Voronkov is one of those guys.

Reactions: koteka

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This, plus mean. I've been saying this for 20 years, (yes, I'm old) but I want a handful of players on this team that are just absolute MFers to play against because they are mean as a snake. I don't need them in our top lines, but I want them on our team. I hope Voronkov is one of those guys.

Skill held equal, the toughness definitely helps embolden the skill players.

But if skill is sub NHL quality then you don't want those guys out there more than 10 minutes a night.

The only thing worse than signing a sub-NHL-quality player is the compulsion to play that sub-NHLer full time to try and justify his contract. 10 minutes a night for about 40 games would be much better use of Gudbranson but I think it will take years for this coach and FO to be honest about what they have. They'll keep playing him every game. Torts would have scratched Gudbranson plenty by now, he has a fine sense of who is helping and who is not. That kind of honesty is gone from our franchise. Hopefully I'm wrong and they're just tanking but my suspicion is that they're deluded when it comes to some guys, Sillinger and Gudbranson come to mind.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Torts would have scratched Gudbranson plenty by now, he has a fine sense of who is helping and who is not. That kind of honesty is gone from our franchise.
I agree, except for the blindness to how to run a PP that has prevailed through several CBJ rosters and coaching changes.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Gudbranson > Peeke
Not really, unless you refer to the salary. Gudbransson gets badly outshot, and in the end also outscored as he has about 0 offense. Not that Peeke would be hugely better, but he is pretty much dead average on the team in terms of SF%, while Gudbransson is the worst by a mile.

Screenshot_20230126-105611.png

Now, there is much more to the game than just winning the shot race, which can be seen on Nick Blankenburg: when your defense collapses spectacular way as is often case of "4th forward" Blankenburg, you give the opposition a "sure goal", therefore your GF% might be hugely worse than your SF%, CF% etc., because it's quality over quantity even when both do matter. Sometimes you are also unlucky, but that evens up over time.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
when your defense collapses spectacular way as is often case of "4th forward" Blankenburg, you give the opposition a "sure goal"
Yeah I don't understand why he's being used so often on PK over excellent defensive players like Tim Berni and Adam Boqvist. The guy should be paired with Gavrikov to balance out his terrible defensive impact on the ice.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Not really, unless you refer to the salary. Gudbransson gets badly outshot, and in the end also outscored as he has about 0 offense. Not that Peeke would be hugely better, but he is pretty much dead average on the team in terms of SF%, while Gudbransson is the worst by a mile.

View attachment 641802

Now, there is much more to the game than just winning the shot race, which can be seen on Nick Blankenburg: when your defense collapses spectacular way as is often case of "4th forward" Blankenburg, you give the opposition a "sure goal", therefore your GF% might be hugely worse than your SF%, CF% etc., because it's quality over quantity even when both do matter. Sometimes you are also unlucky, but that evens up over time.

I keep seeing this chart used to compare the dmen or forwards in a this guy is better than that guy way but what exactly is it supposed to be showing? Both the one above and the one for forwards just read like the more offensive minded a guy is the higher up the list he will be which does not necessarily equate to value. How does the above account for deployment? Larsen isn't putting Boqvist/Bean/Bjork on the ice when the team is up a goal late in the 3rd but for better or worse Blankenburg/Gudbranson/Peeke is probably going to be out there. If I was asked to write out a list in order of dmen from most to least offensive minded it would darn near mirror the above list, same thing with the forwards so is that just a coincidence.

Apologies if this comes across wrong as questioning you specifically. I'm not an advanced stats guy so I need help understanding what exactly a lot of these different stats are showing with context behind them and just googling definitions doesn't help me much.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad