Confirmed with Link: CBJ Sign Dubinsky to 6 Year Extension

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I would have liked to see this around 5. That 850k could make a difference down the line in keeping a player or not.

Is there any reason for Dubinsky and his agent to take that offer now instead of just waiting till next summer for better offers?

That 850k made a difference in keeping a player or not...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Dubinsky has produced higher offensively than Foligno and plays a strong defensive game as a center. Foligno plays a pretty good defensive game, I think, but he plays wing and doesn't score as much. I think Foligno could go above 3.5.

I think that if Foligno is willing to stay at around 4 MM or so say for 3 or 4 years I think we re-sign him to allow for the kids to fully develop. Maybe up to 4.5 but above that I think he is gone. NTC or NMC could complicate his deal also.

When to do this is a big issue. Commit to him now, which doesn't appear to be happening, and the issue of what to do with him at the deadline goes away. On the other hand if Wennberg & Rychel both appear ready, if not this year then the following, the roster gets crowded as far as playing time goes.

This entire line of thinking has to be applied to Anisimov the following year. I think it would be possible to keep both Foligno and Arty at around 4MM for 3 or 4 years but more than that I don't see and they both could probably get better deals as UFA's. The problem with this approach is playing time for the young guys. If they aren't going to play enough minutes to make it worthwhile for their development do you keep them down in Springfield? Or do you move guys like Foligno and Arty down in the lineup? Neither approach makes much sense to me.

My guess is that one or the other (and remotely possibly both) is not around to start the 2015 season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Never said it wasn't fair. Actually I think it's fair. I just said most contracts are based mostly on production and we're paying him for more than that. Sometimes you also get a slight discount for players to stay in the city they like, especially to keep their family settled.

I would have liked to see this around 5. That 850k could make a difference down the line in keeping a player or not.

The Q&A in the Dispatch/Puck Rackers was cool to read.

I don't really see the 850k as an issue in keeping a player down the road. For the foreseeable future we have cap space. I think Jarmo and his resident capologist can foresee that becoming a problem if it will and make 100k or so tweaks in new deals along the way to make it a non-issue.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't really see the 850k as an issue in keeping a player down the road. For the foreseeable future we have cap space. I think Jarmo and his resident capologist can foresee that becoming a problem if it will and make 100k or so tweaks in new deals along the way to make it a non-issue.

Without Johansen and Bob taken care of yet?

I know they are forecasting, but, no, we have no idea what 850k here another another 500k more in a deal will impact us down the road. We have Murray coming up as well.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

I know they are forecasting, but, no, we have no idea what 850k here another another 500k more in a deal will impact us down the road. We have Murray coming up as well.

I think Jarmo would rather have his hand chopped off than give an RFA a big money deal. Not sure the Murray (and all the other young kids) deals will be an issue.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think Jarmo would rather have his hand chopped off than give an RFA a big money deal.

What are you talking about? Bob's deal was certainly "big money" even if it was a bridge deal. Ryan's is going to be big money. Dubinsky's reign of the top contact at this team will probably only survive for a few short weeks.

Not trying to offend, but are we playing the role of the ostrich here?

We seem to be a little cocky for a team that made the playoffs last year and could easily miss out this season with a team that is still losing money.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

With Joey at 6, Bob at 7 and Foligno at 4 for next year we will still only be at 66 mill or so. If cap goes up only 4% we'll still be 5 mm under.

Murray will be an RFA in 2 years along with Savard, Prout, Erixon(assuming he signs now). Throw in a possible re-signing of Anisimov next year and things could start to get tight.

But that is why I think trades/demotions/letting guys go to UFA will be employed to stay within the cap and internal budgets. While having that extra 850k would be nice I just can't see it keeping us from signing a guy we really want to keep.

Lots will depend on how fast the cap rise and how much the team improves which in turn should, hopefully, increase revenues.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
With Joey at 6, Bob at 7 and Foligno at 4 for next year we will still only be at 66 mill or so. If cap goes up only 4% we'll still be 5 mm under.

And there is the assumption we'll be a cap team? Sweet.

I think I'm going to leave you to the Nirvana of the Dubinsky deal.

It's hilarious how this turns out on here. All I said is that it wasn't a particularly good deal, but I'm happy it got done and it turns into this... ugh.

Please keep trying to minimize the potential salary concerns. I'm sure the three of you will come to a consensus.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I just went back and watched episode two of Behind the Battle, and seeing John Davidson say, "We need character. There's so much parity in this league, it's the guy that gives you that something extra. It's the character players that make the difference. We want to be so damn tough to play against, that they have to kill us to beat us. We want passion, we want life, we want energy."…..that's just Dubinsky best described.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think that if Foligno is willing to stay at around 4 MM or so say for 3 or 4 years I think we re-sign him to allow for the kids to fully develop. Maybe up to 4.5 but above that I think he is gone. NTC or NMC could complicate his deal also.

I think I agree. I'm really troubled by this, because I love the guy, but we can't pay Foligno $5m long term if we already have Horton and Hartnell (worse players) clogging things up.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I know Dubinsky was loved in NY but man, front page news there?

evri3vgbisxa9isfl1qp.jpg

aq1ornz8ggdd0o6auzg1.jpg

Seems a bit extreme. Not sure they're over the Nash trade yet.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I like the guy but Horton and Hartnell are easily superior to Foligno.

Are they though? Or are you just going by reputation from the past 5 years?

What else could you go by? Tea leaves?

I don't know that I'd agree with it either, but numbers would suggest he's right. Foligno's a nice complementary player, I like him, but sooner or later he's going to probably be playing elsewhere unless the CBJ can get a pretty good rate.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I like the guy but Horton and Hartnell are easily superior to Foligno.

They used to be. I think those days are over. And yes I'm aware of the numbers, I make the case that Foligno is better based on the complete play, not just scoring.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Love the signing of Dubinsky. Might be a year longer than I would have preferred, but I think the dollar amount is reasonable for a guy who has stepped up as one of the top players on the club.

Another brick in the wall, as JD is surely thinking.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Murray will be an RFA in 2 years along with Savard, Prout, Erixon(assuming he signs now). Throw in a possible re-signing of Anisimov next year and things could start to get tight.

But that is why I think trades/demotions/letting guys go to UFA will be employed to stay within the cap and internal budgets. While having that extra 850k would be nice I just can't see it keeping us from signing a guy we really want to keep.

Lots will depend on how fast the cap rise and how much the team improves which in turn should, hopefully, increase revenues.

Joey would be a bargain at six per year. I think he is going target and get more than that. He is our top goal scorer/skill threat with upside still ahead of them. That makes him very marketable. Statsny got $7M - who would you rather have over the next four years?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Joey would be a bargain at six per year. I think he is going target and get more than that. He is our top goal scorer/skill threat with upside still ahead of them. That makes him very marketable. Statsny got $7M - who would you rather have over the next four years?

Statsny was a UFA, Joey is an RFA. It's a big difference.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
RFA implies an expectation of a better deal, but I think Moe's point is that we'll still want Joey on the roster even if we have to pay him >$6m.

I don't see him getting >6 as part of a bridge. If they go longer term then maybe a bit more but I still don't see much more this time around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad