Confirmed with Link: CBJ Sign Dubinsky to 6 Year Extension

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I got your point. Certainly didn't need the 'to me" in all caps, there was nothing to suggest otherwise. Perhaps others get annoyed when they are looked down upon by looking at a situation and giving what they believe to be an honest assessment of the deal as a whole - taking their feelings of the player out of the equation?

This was not a particularly good deal and could influence other deals down the road, even more-so since we aren't likely to be a cap team.

You can love the player but not their contract. You should be able to do that without ridicule.

What would you consider a good, fair deal? He was making 4.2. He is probably one of the two or three leaders on the team and he did put up 50 pts last year while playing pretty good defense. Given what others got in free agency and his apparent value to this team I have a hard time getting cranked about this deal. Not being argumentative just looking for what you (and others) would have thought was ideal. Obviously less money and probably a year less in term but I don't know.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
What would you consider a good, fair deal? He was making 4.2. He is probably one of the two or three leaders on the team and he did put up 50 pts last year while playing pretty good defense. Given what others got in free agency and his apparent value to this team I have a hard time getting cranked about this deal. Not being argumentative just looking for what you (and others) would have thought was ideal. Obviously less money and probably a year less in term but I don't know.

That 4.2 AAV was also a deal to avoid arbitration compared to what he could potentially get on the open market next summer...

Everyone wants a year less and half a million off the AAV, but this is by no means crippling. Plenty of cap space to play with for the moment.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Awesome news to start the weekend. I cannot wait for next season.

Now I can get my jersey with Dubi's name and # and not worry about him leaving soon

Anyone who thinks the Jackets overpaid missed the playoffs last year.....JMO

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
(I haven't read thsi whole thread but...)

For anyone who thinks Dubinsky got too much money, what do you think he would have gotten on the open market?

major major

Feb 18, 2013

For anyone who thinks Dubinsky got too much money, what do you think he would have gotten on the open market?

Everyone knows he'd get more. The better question is "can you imagine this team without him?" I don't enjoy the thought.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com

Really though. Guys like Dave Bolland get 5.5m AAV, Grabo 5m AAV, Stastny 7m AAV, Toews 10.5m AAV. Certainly he's considered better than the first two guys mentioned, yeah? And to think he'll be getting paid almost half of what Toews is getting

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I don't think anybody could reasonably defend a "CBJ lost the Rick Nash deal" position anymore. This wouldn't be a playoff team without Dubinsky, and this team would likely still be looking for its first playoff win too.

We may have gotten hosed seven ways from Sunday on the Gabby deal but Dubi alone won us the Nash exchange. Throw in Arty, Erixon and whichever guy we took with their first (I can't remember) and we won it with flying colors.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think he's earned it and honestly haven't seen anything to suggest that he'll have injury problems or will decline in the near future. So while the length may cause some concern, I'm not worried about it.

The dollar amount isn't bad, it's a tad high sure but every contract the past 2 seasons or more has been high. Makes me wonder how much Johansen is going to get. He was obviously better than Dubinsky, but he's an RFA so we'll see.

I may not be a fan of Jarmo's recent trading and FA movements but his extensions minus Boll (Letestu, Bob, this one, the young guys like Savard and Prout) have been good and so far his drafting looks good.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Me too. Well deserved deal. Good player. Great building block.

Now: question for the board. Is Dubinsky better than Foligno?

If so, why? If not, how much will Foligno command.
Dubinsky has produced higher offensively than Foligno and plays a strong defensive game as a center. Foligno plays a pretty good defensive game, I think, but he plays wing and doesn't score as much. I think Foligno could go above 3.5.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Dubinsky has produced higher offensively than Foligno and plays a strong defensive game as a center. Foligno plays a pretty good defensive game, I think, but he plays wing and doesn't score as much. I think Foligno could go above 3.5.

Something like the contract Dubi signed with NY. Id like to get him under 4 and closer to Anisimov's contract since they have fairly similar impact on the team but I can see him pushing for 4

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Something like the contract Dubi signed with NY. Id like to get him under 4 and closer to Anisimov's contract since they have fairly similar impact on the team but I can see him pushing for 4
thing is, we signed him for 3.083/year after his career year of 47(?) points and he hasn't quite surpassed or gotten back to that level.. I think he gets a modest raise based upon how he's viewed by the FO but, statistically, he hasn't earned a 1m+ bump IMO

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Me too. Well deserved deal. Good player. Great building block.

Now: question for the board. Is Dubinsky better than Foligno?

If so, why? If not, how much will Foligno command.

I love Nicky. Love him. But it wouldn't shock me if we let him walk once his contract is up to let one or more of the kids move up.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
thing is, we signed him for 3.083/year after his career year of 47(?) points and he hasn't quite surpassed or gotten back to that level.. I think he gets a modest raise based upon how he's viewed by the FO but, statistically, he hasn't earned a 1m+ bump IMO

I didn't say he deserves it but that doesnt mean his agent won't push for it. Id want him in the 3-3.3 range personally

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
Yes, it ruins my day when people don't share the same perspective I do ...... no need for your snide comment.

All I was saying is it's obnoxious TO ME when people who are not paying a player what they deem to be "extra" money complain that someone is "overpaid". If they aren't up against the cap and they want to give a player X amount of dollars because they think he is worth it for whatever reason(s) then what's the point in comparing it to other players and other situations and saying it's too much money?

The cap has always risen faster than the fans' (collective) valuation of players. Probably always will.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I love Nicky. Love him. But it wouldn't shock me if we let him walk once his contract is up to let one or more of the kids move up.

This is what I think will happen. If he scores 20+ this season, he'll likely be in the 4 to 4.5 range and I'd rather go youth at that point. We already have 10 mil+ tied up in wingers between Horton and Hartnell. Absolutely love Nick too, but I have a feeling he may get Nikitin'd.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I think Rychel would/could be a good replacement imo.

Now, if we're in a playoff race, do we keep him and lose him for nothing(or get a late pick for his rights) or treat him like Gaborik and trade him away.

*Look for LA come knocking on the door

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Think of it this way, I assume we all can agree that Dubi was worth his 4.2 million dollar salary? Ok, well he only got a 1.6 million dollar raise. Don't you think with all he's done here, his production, leadership, ability to play any position on the ice, etc. Think he's worth that raise? I do

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Didn't read the entire thread but I think Callahan was a good comparable. He got $5.8 this Summer. Dubinsky got an extra $50,000 then Callahan but I think Dubinsky will be able stay healthier and if that is the case, the extra $50,000 is well worth it.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
What would you consider a good, fair deal?

Never said it wasn't fair. Actually I think it's fair. I just said most contracts are based mostly on production and we're paying him for more than that. Sometimes you also get a slight discount for players to stay in the city they like, especially to keep their family settled.

I would have liked to see this around 5. That 850k could make a difference down the line in keeping a player or not.

The Q&A in the Dispatch/Puck Rackers was cool to read.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad