Rumor: CBJ Scouting Colorado

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
yeah...it was stated in the thread above they had 2 back to backs last week and PAP rushed back as it was...so more precaution

He suffered a second-grade MCL sprain on December 29th and came back two weeks sooner than expected. He then played a back to back. It would make sense for him to take a day off here, especially with Tanguay playing again. Lavoie is manufacturing a story.

I understand completely that it may be a truthful statement, but actually declaring that a player is being rested after only a handful of games back from injury may hurt his trade value (if he's on the block at all).

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
I understand completely that it may be a truthful statement, but actually declaring that a player is being rested after only a handful of games back from injury may hurt his trade value (if he's on the block at all).

...or a trade is close and they are keeping him out of the lineup to prevent an injury. I don't think the excuse makes a difference if everyone is in on it. Heck, the knee is better if I'm the GM receiving him. Let my opponents think that's still an issue.

Parentau's name seems to be coming up a lot today. Habs are the team everyone mentions, but no one seems to have their fingers on the pulse of the Jackets at any given moment.

By the way, David Savard's sudden illness.--Real, or the aforementioned "flu like symptoms."

major major

Feb 18, 2013
On handedness, Howson didn't have a bias towards RHD, he just heavily valued having equal numbers. Howson is far from the only GM to care for this, see Yzerman and Team Canada. I don't know when this obsession started (five or so years ago?) but its definitely a bigger thing now than it was 15 years ago. I don't entirely get it. There are some defencemen who make good clears on their backhands, and even prefer to play on their "off" side, and you want shooters to be on their "one-timer" side in the offensive zone.

On Stastny, yes its narrowly true that you can never have too many centers, but the marginal value that they provide goes down the more you have, and they are more expensive than wingers. So we'll pay more for Stastny, because he's a center, and then just have to slide another Center to wing. It's a waste.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Have to admit that after looking at the Avs list candidates, it's hard for me to see the move if it's for this year. ROR is a longer term play, so only Stasney catches my attention for the now. Can't imagine that Jan coming back is on the radar, but it makes just as much sense. At the moment a return of Gabby with Arte and Horton and moving Boone to the 4th line with Mac and Letestu is just as appealing.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Have to admit that after looking at the Avs list candidates, it's hard for me to see the move if it's for this year. ROR is a longer term play, so only Stasney catches my attention for the now. Can't imagine that Jan coming back is on the radar, but it makes just as much sense. At the moment a return of Gabby with Arte and Horton and moving Boone to the 4th line with Mac and Letestu is just as appealing.

In what way does O'Reilly not help us this year? He has 19g and 16a in 49gp. He helps us more, IMO, than Stastny does.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Jean Louis LouisJean_TVA @ 1m
#CH refuse a transaction. # Avs offered Parenteau for Bourque. Marc Bergevin said no. Wanted another player in return. @ TVA_Sports

Guess Parenteau doesn't have much value. But given that value...what interest do we possibly have?

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
#CH refuse a transaction. # Avs offered Parenteau for Bourque. Marc Bergevin said no. Wanted another player in return. @ TVA_Sports

Guess Parenteau doesn't have much value. But given that value...what interest do we possibly have?

Guess that settles that.

I wish we played the Habs now. That tiny team is starting to run out of gas.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

There is no way that Montreal would turn down a straight up PAP for Bourque. Impossible.

Don't know anything about the source, but it's possible that there were other parts of the trade that his tweet missed.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
There is no way that Montreal would turn down a straight up PAP for Bourque. Impossible.

Don't know anything about the source, but it's possible that there were other parts of the trade that his tweet missed.

PAP is better than Bourque, but Montreal is way too small and they know it. They can't do that deal without another in place to get bigger.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
In what way does O'Reilly not help us this year? He has 19g and 16a in 49gp. He helps us more, IMO, than Stastny does.

So Stastny has more points in less games with a higher PROD number (way higher for their careers) with ROR with his highest shot% of his career by a good 5%. If was at his career norm, he would be around the same goal total as Stastny.

Look, you love ROR. I respect that. But to dismiss Stastny is foolish.

They are different types of player, but ROR isn't exactly a sniper. I'm happy for his progress this year, for his sake. He's finally being more selfish.

I would be thrilled with either player and I can see the value in both. That is the difference.

Honestly, I could see ROR being just being more of what we have.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Adrian Dater via sulia
2 days ago

Scouts from the following five NHL teams are here for #Avs-Lightning tonight...

One from the Columbus Blue Jackets (their GM), two from the Detroit Red Wings, and one each from the Chicago Blackhawks, Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers.
One piece of gossip I picked up: John Mitchell's name has been in play of late. Doesn't mean anything will happen.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
PAP is better than Bourque, but Montreal is way too small and they know it. They can't do that deal without another in place to get bigger.

Bourque is horrific. He plays like he's 5'6" and 150lbs. He's lazy to boot....got that label in Chicago, kept it in Calgary and earning again in Montreal. PAP is no giant, but he's 6' 190 lbs and can play somewhat physically if needed.

The Canadiens are having deep scoring issues and a PAP for Bourque straight up deal would have been a no brainer even if it would have, on paper, downsized a team that you rightly call too small.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
So Stastny has more points in less games with a higher PROD number (way higher for their careers) with ROR with his highest shot% of his career by a good 5%. If was at his career norm, he would be around the same goal total as Stastny.

Look, you love ROR. I respect that. But to dismiss Stastny is foolish.

They are different types of player, but ROR isn't exactly a sniper. I'm happy for his progress this year, for his sake. He's finally being more selfish.

I would be thrilled with either player and I can see the value in both. That is the difference.

Honestly, I could see ROR being just being more of what we have.

1 - I don't "love" O'Reilly
2 - I didn't dismiss Stastny

I said 2 things in the post you quoted.

In what way does O'Reilly not help us this year? So, does he help us? Because that is all I said there.

He helps us more, IMO, than Stastny does. Am I not allowed to have an opinion that one player helps us more than another player? I think Johansen helps us more than Atkinson. That doesn't mean I have dismissed Atkinson or want to trade him.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund 4m
Yes, I am told Habs did have discussions w Colorado and parenteau was brought up...however Montreal's main interest is O'Reilly.

Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund 1m
The Avs don't want to move O'Reilly...of course. However, they won't pay him more than Duchene...and before another standoff..they might.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund 4m
Yes, I am told Habs did have discussions w Colorado and parenteau was brought up...however Montreal's main interest is O'Reilly.

Hockey Buzz Eklund ‏@Eklund 1m
The Avs don't want to move O'Reilly...of course. However, they won't pay him more than Duchene...and before another standoff..they might.

I think that GMJK is trying to kill two birds with one stone. Cory Sarich might the veteran defensive defenseman, Aucoin type that we're looking for. O'Reilly or Stastny and Sarich might not be bad gets for this club.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
1 - I don't "love" O'Reilly
2 - I didn't dismiss Stastny

I said 2 things in the post you quoted.

In what way does O'Reilly not help us this year? So, does he help us? Because that is all I said there.

He helps us more, IMO, than Stastny does. Am I not allowed to have an opinion that one player helps us more than another player? I think Johansen helps us more than Atkinson. That doesn't mean I have dismissed Atkinson or want to trade him.

I would suggest being a bit more clear then, it was easy to come to those conclusions. Also keep in mind I gave you some arguments that suggest that ROR might not be much more of a goal scorer than Stastny.

I'm still not 100% sure which stat, other than goals (which might be artificially inflated) you might have been referring to. ROR isn't a sniper. He might end up with 4 or 5 more goals a year of Stastny. Stastny is going to help other players get the puck where they need to score better than ROR.

That is what I'm saying.

For the assets needed to acquire and the salary demands, I'm not sure ROR would be much of a win for us.

Peace.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
For the assets needed to acquire and the salary demands, I'm not sure ROR would be much of a win for us.

I'm not sure either of these two is the most cost effective way forward. I guess they are options if the team feels the need to spend money on a player like this (currently Gaborik). I'd almost rather offer sheet an RFA or try to do a youth for youth trade (say D for F with Det or someone) and build for 2 -4 years from now.

Also next year's UFA class is much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad