Rumor: CBJ Scouting Colorado

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Who do we want from Colorado (other than Duchene and Landeskog)?

No way they deal either of those guys.

One name I hear about on the rumor mill is Ryan O'Reilly. The Avalanche would be looking for help defensively, so I would have to throw out names like Erixon, Goloubef, even Nikitin, Tyutin, as well as our first round pick.

Couple two of those assets together, and you can start to talk to them about O'Reilly, I'd imagine.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

One name I hear about on the rumor mill is Ryan O'Reilly. The Avalanche would be looking for help defensively, so I would have to throw out names like Erixon, Goloubef, even Nikitin, Tyutin, as well as our first round pick.

Couple two of those assets together, and you can start to talk to them about O'Reilly, I'd imagine.

But the CBJ are close to the cap. if its O'Reilly as a target, I'm guessing Gaborik goes to Colorado because of O'Reilly's 5 million cap hit.

I'm just not sure I see them moving O'Reilly when they are in a playoff race and he's one of their leading scorers. He's RFA so he still has trade value in the off season if they can't resign him.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Can't forget that O'Reilly would have that massive qualifying number going into next year ($6.5 mil).

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I sort of wonder if its Alex Tanguay.

He's missed time with a sprained knee and Colorado has played well without him. Has 2 more years after this year with a 3.5 cap hit. Is a veteran presence/scoring winger who has won a cup and still seems to be putting up decent numbers. he's primarily a LW if I remember correctly.

He does have a limited NMC though.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I'm thinking Hejda...in talking with Dan K the other night, he had a thought that another Vet Dman is needed to take some heat off Murray down the stretch and help out...

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'm thinking Hejda...in talking with Dan K the other night, he had a thought that another Vet Dman is needed to take some heat off Murray down the stretch and help out...

For a team with such a ****** past, fans sure are obsessed with bringing back players from it. Hejda doesn't look like he could crack our top 6 many nights.

RE: The actual rumor, it'll be something small. Kekalainen would be foolish to give up what it takes to get a guy like ROR with the Jackets playing so well.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Colorado appears to be looking for D help though. Not sure they want to weaken their D.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
its not that i want to bring back our old players...i think you know that i'm not one of those fans (unless its JC7) but who else from them meets "veteran defenseman" from them? unless its Erik Johnson...but I can't see them moving him...

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
My first thought was Stastny, actually. With Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, and now MacKinnon, I doubt Stastny is in their long-term plans. They'd definitely be looking at our defensmen: something around Nikitin +, perhaps.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The only thing the Jackets need is a backup goalie... If the CBJ have other needs they can be addressed after this season.. The Jackets are set other than backup goalie and perhaps head coach... but as of today the head coach is safe.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
My first thought was Stastny, actually. With Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, and now MacKinnon, I doubt Stastny is in their long-term plans. They'd definitely be looking at our defensmen: something around Nikitin +, perhaps.

Mine as well

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
Why exactly would we commit our two big dogs for a small trade, Sam. You don't send out JD and JK to acquire John Mitchell. It's a waste of resources.

How would Stastny make any sense? He's a center. Do we need another center when 2/3 of our team are playing center or are themselves converted centers?

Now, the same could be said for O'Reilly, but he's actually done quite well this year on the wing. He's 23 years old, due a huge qualifying offer and there's a possibility the owners don't want to negotiate with him and his agent again.

But, if I'm the Avs and trading ROR, I damn sure want some offense coming back my way notwithstanding the ridiculous ROR for Gardiner rumors.

I'll say this much--if Jarmo nets O'Reilly, I'll be impressed. He's 23 years old. Solid 2-way player. On a pace for 30 goals. With him and Johansen, you have a pretty solid core for years to come.

That said, I won't be surprised if it is Parenteau instead. I know he's banged up, but he's still in the lineup (had an assist today).

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
It might be nothing. There was an NHL meeting in Florida the other day, which would explain why many scouts and execs were at the Florida game. Why not take in a TB game while you're there.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
In another thread I said that I didn't like the 6.5 qualifying offer not to mention the 5 million hit this year, which with my limited knowledge of cap space workings would mean we would have to give up 5 mill minus the 2.9 mill space CapGeek now says we have at the deadline. About 2.1 mill. Nikitin works but that potentially screws up the D for the playoff run.

On the other hand, adding a guy who is projecting to 30 goals and who could be locked up for a long time is intriguing.

Combine the above with trading Gabby for another D or whatever and this makes some sense and leaves the cap situation at least status quo, assuming O'Reilly can be signed for less than Gabby is making. Of course his contract negotiating history may make him difficult to sign.

And signing him pretty much means that Joey will want the same kind of deal, which to my way of thinking is a bit premature but the economics of the game today are what they are.

No wonder Jarmo has no hair. :laugh:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Boy, Avs fans are certainly a joy to discuss trades with on the mains, aren't they? :shakehead

Anyway, I thought Parenteau was out of the lineup, Cap'n says he's in. My bet is he is the target. ROR is definitely intriguing though.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
ROR seems like the logical possibility. ROR would be the perfect player for a line with Johansen defensively sound and offensively gifted.

I would start with a package of Tyutin and our 2014 1st and go from there. If we could I would I think a trade of Gaborik and Tyutin would be ideal.

I think it pretty clear agree that Gaborik and his cap hit are gone after this season. If we clear out Gaborik (Picks and Prospects) and Tyutin that gives us plenty of $ to pay both Johansen, O'Reilly, and the other kids, particularly with the Cap going up to 71 million.

Sadly I don't know that a trade gets done without some painful additions from the young players (i.e. Erixon, Jenner).

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Parenteau makes a lot of sense. He'd be a better set-up man for Johansen than Umberger.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Parenteau has logged 1:33 ice time this season shorthanded and 99:49 on the PP.

This tells me he is not much of a 2 way player. Pretty much everyone on this team gets some PK time. Atkinson, Gaborik, Jenner and Comeau appear to get the least.

I know not everybody is a defensive wiz but I would expect more out of a player like Parenteau. I'm not on the band wagon.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Last edited:

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
Parenteau has logged 1:33 ice time this season shorthanded and 99:49 on the PP.

This tells me he is not much of a 2 way player. Pretty much everyone on this team gets some PK time. Atkinson, Gaborik, Jenner and Comeau appear to get the least.

I know not everybody is a defensive wiz but I would expect more out of a player like Parenteau. I'm not on the band wagon.

He's probably more of a 2-way player than Gabby. And that's who he'd ultimately be replacing--if we're trading defense for Parentau, I gotta think we're trading Gabby before the deadline.

In any event, would I rather have O'Reilly? Sure. But given that the Avs are a playoff team, looking for a "hockey trade," I'm not sure we can afford the cost unless Jarmo has another deal to get a defenseman.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
He's probably more of a 2-way player than Gabby. And that's who he'd ultimately be replacing--if we're trading defense for Parentau, I gotta think we're trading Gabby before the deadline.

In any event, would I rather have O'Reilly? Sure. But given that the Avs are a playoff team, looking for a "hockey trade," I'm not sure we can afford the cost unless Jarmo has another deal to get a defenseman.

It seems like trading for a defenseman shouldn't be too hard to do. It may cost a little more than we would like, but they seem to get traded the most when a team isn't going for the playoffs anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad