Speculation: CBJ Quietly Shopping for Top 6 Forward

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Monday night's offensive outburst was welcomed with opened arms, but that won't stop Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson from looking around for some extra fire power up front.

The Blue Jackets are scouring the League for a top-six forward, though it's unclear what they're willing to part with.

Nineteen scouts from 17 different teams took in last night's 6-2 win over the San Jose Sharks at Nationwide Arena, fueling speculation.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/cbj130212.html

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
To help us with the playoff run we are about to go on?

Unless it's someone that helps us long-term, I don't see why we would do this.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
One would think the trade would have to involve someone who would be with the organization for a few years and young enough but not too old. I wonder what we are willing to give up, defensive pieces or draft picks.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
To help us with the playoff run we are about to go on?

Unless it's someone that helps us long-term, I don't see why we would do this.

I think that is a given, however it is probably time to shuffle the deck. There are plenty of options in regards to moving players to get someone in the top six. What isn't obvious is who would be willing to come off that type of player.

What I hope we aren't looking at is a misguided attempt to turn our fortunes around this year (even if it is a long term player). In other words, no pressure on timing to make a move.

We have some interesting potential to make moves that other teams might not. We can also give back a 20 goal scorer if we take on a 30 goal scorer, for example. We can take on some payroll if we need to, next year we are in great shape cap and budget wise.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think that is a given, however it is probably time to shuffle the deck. There are plenty of options in regards to moving players to get someone in the top six. What isn't obvious is who would be willing to come off that type of player.

What I hope we aren't looking at is a misguided attempt to turn our fortunes around this year (even if it is a long term player). In other words, no pressure on timing to make a move.

We have some interesting potential to make moves that other teams might not. We can also give back a 20 goal scorer if we take on a 30 goal scorer, for example. We can take on some payroll if we need to, next year we are in great shape cap and budget wise.

Yep. No reason not to look, given all that. Even with multiple first-rounders in this year's draft, the team is going to want more top-six players on next year's roster. No harm getting a head start on your offseason if you know what you mght be willing to move in order to get it.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Largely agree with blahblah. Seems like this team likes to acquire players to try to fix attendance. I hope it's not one of those moves just to generate excitement. Like a Sergei Feds type of trade.

Hoping JD has had enough time that he knows some folks that don't fit and he's ready to start shuffling.
But my concern is I don't want him to be making too many drastic changes until (I'm hoping and assuming here) he gets the right head coach in place and that coach can then decide what type of players he needs.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Lots of speculation in that article. I doubt we make a move for a top 6 forward during the season, but who knows.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Bobby Ryan would be a great option.

Wouldn't be worth it from a Columbus standpoint. Considering its all but official he wants to play for Philly. So I doubt he would resign with the jackets. Unless you want to let him go, but at the price they'd want it wouldn't be worth it. They wanted schenn an couturier from Philly this passed summer.

leafobserver

Feb 23, 2007
I watch a lot of Columbus games (honestly) and I don't think there is a lot of need for a true 'top 6' forward via trade during the season. I think if Brassard can't get that player, which is doubtful, you shouldn't be emptying the cupboards to get one. The backend is stocked, Johan and Cam will be a players, and you're looking at a bunch of potential for CBJ in this years draft.

I think you're looking at a bargain bin player...

Enter Clarke MacArthur.
He can play up and down the lineup, and will be willing to sign long-term (pending UFA). Back to back 20 goal seasons, and I think they'd be able to let him go cheaper as they have been able to replace him internally (Frattin).

What would MacArthur and ex. Buckeye Steckel fetch?

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH
I watch a lot of Columbus games (honestly) and I don't think there is a lot of need for a true 'top 6' forward via trade during the season. I think if Brassard can't get that player, which is doubtful, you shouldn't be emptying the cupboards to get one. The backend is stocked, Johan and Cam will be a players, and you're looking at a bunch of potential for CBJ in this years draft.

Enter Clarke MacArthur.
He can play up and down the lineup, and will be willing to sign long-term (pending UFA). Back to back 20 goal seasons, and I think they'd be able to let him go cheaper as they have been able to replace him internally (Frattin).

Brass and a 1994 Pontiac Cutlass?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Enter Clarke MacArthur.

Why in the word we would look at more of the same? You did a nice job of spinning the conversation into the player you want to dump.

Personally I don't want to get into idle speculation of value of a player that there is not even a rumor about, however, I'm sure you find those more than willing to engage.

But I will say if there was a player that I was looking for, that is not it.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
With Dorsett and this current incarnation of RJ Umberger (note: has looked good for 2 whole games in a row now) playing so much in the top 6, I would say that a top 6 winger is needed.

I hope and think JD is smart enough to swing away for the fences here and land a savior. The team is looking at a less than 5 percent chance at making the playoffs and maybe a coinflip at landing the #1 overall pick. Don't screw yourself in the long run, JD.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
the Bobby Ryan ship hasn't sailed, but i think its hoisting its anchors....we've tried for him, but i guess the asking price has been too high...if they could sign Perry and/or Getz it would clear that up a lot more

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Huh, I had a dream last night about this very thing. It involved me as the GM, making a trade with St. Louis right before a game against the Blues. The deal was finalized during the first period, but I and Doug Armstrong agreed not to submit it until after the game ended.

It involved David Backes coming in, and RJ Umberger departing. And after the deal was agreed upon, Umberger promptly lit up the Blues for a hat trick and two assists. That meant that right after this monstrous performance, I'd have to be the one to announce that he'd been traded.;)

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Did Portzline tweet what teams were represented last night? That would certainly help give us some ideas of who might be in the market.

Bobby Ryan would potentially be Nash 2.0. He would be the new franchise player. A move like that would give us a lot of Americans on the team. Would make it very easy to relate to this team. JMFJ, Ryan, RJ, Cam, Boll, Wiz, Moore, Erixon, Dubi and Foligno. Team USA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad